not too sure on golf speakers, and brands dont matter TOO much, as long as you get similar impedances / rms power. depends on your budget and what you want, for example in my daily i have all orion hardware, ridiculously good audio, but doesnt come xheap

Mate keep an eye on flea bay!

I got a Alpine headunit with mp3 for less than £100 and found a 10" Alpine S Sub in a box with a small Kicker sub for £36 with wires as i just wanted light bass (new car sound).

To finish i purchased some good Alpine components for the front from In Car Entertainment in Leicester - check their web for good discounts.

dunno about locally, the internet is way cheaper with all the car audio warehouse websites, you can get a £350 head unit for £250 easy on the internet.

Alpine and pioneer are very good quality and powerful, ive had many different head units of many different makes, (all well known big brands no alba etc lol) and pioneer and more so alpine now (the latest pioneer range you have to pay more to get the features) are the brands that ive kept going back to.

People always say they want a head unit for about £100, but think about this, it will be listened to every time you get in the car, day in day out for years and years so its going to last, why scrimp on a lower quality item, even £250 on a bang up to date alpine head unit with ipod connectivity is only £25 a year over the at least 10 years it will last, and they arent gonna bring out any new technology cos there isnt anything else they could cram into them.

Speakers dont have to cosrt a fortune either, and unless you are a kevver that likes everyone to look round at you when you drive by and hear you playing AHA - Take on me at 130dB and thinks that is sooo cool, you wont need any additional amplification with a decent head unit. £80 would get you a very good set of front components with external crossovers, if you rear speakers arent blowing they will suffice just for rear fill.

And a 10" sub, even a halfords special vibe deal would provide enough good bass without being the only thing you hear, along with every panel in your car rattling like a bag of skittles. My 10" JBL is only turned up half way and its only like a 250W and it provides plenty, if i turn it up all the way it feels like someone is trying to escape from the boot if youre sat in the back

• 3 weeks later...

Internet defiantly has cheapest kit ul get at good quality 2.

I thought Id try vibe out, so up front I've got vibe space 3 way components in the back I've got vibe black air 2s components all running off a (cough) Phillips 4 channel amp, soon to be a vibe when funds are up :-) a 10" black air sub with built in amp using all of vibes cables which are really good quality all connected to my pride and joy pioneer p88rs 2 :-) and it's sounds amazing, worth every penny :-)

It really depends on your style, if you want to spend alittle extra shop around get everything matching. Me on the other hand I happend to find an off brand sub that I like so I switched to mix and match. Alpine head with a 6.5 inch lcd touch screen dvd, rocrockford 2000 watt amp pushing my 18" RD audio sub.

it all depends what you see and what you like.