lovely' date=' thats made me feel a bit better, i have '97 obd2.

i have the zr2 with 8 psi pulley and also the bosch red tops.

only thing is, my 268's are still in there, add we had to demolish one of the standard cams to get the sprocket off as the screw was unbaleivably tight.

does running the 268 damage the engine or is it just that u loose alot of torque lower down??

also vince said if i decide to put the standard cams back in after the remap, i dont need it mapped again, but the other way round wouldnt work....

[/quote']

Defo interested to see what power you produce & where with the 268's, I was speakin to Vince on Saturday (never seen him so busy on a saturday before!) about the 268's. I will probably end up with the standard ones in, unless I can part X on some s/c cams.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only thing is' date=' my 268's are still in there, add we had to demolish one of the standard cams to get the sprocket off as the screw was unbaleivably tight.

[/quote']

I'd say that's a perfect excuse to put some 248SC cams in there!

268s will work with a s/c, but they will rob you of a lot of mid range power in favour of slightly more at the top end (268s only start to "pay off" above 5000RPM). For track use, where you're screaming the engine at high revs all the time, such a setup would work well, but on the road, you might not like it.

wish i could afford them mate i defenatly would....

may try an source some standard ones before friday, but on the other hand im curious to see how it pulls after 4500rpm with the charger too. i think il just leave them. i hope to create around the same figure as yours.

p.s. what torque figure did u make?

Stealth Racing can get hold of any Schrick cams - 248, 260, 264, 268 & 276

Cam specs are as follows (info from www.vwvortex.com ) :

Standard VR6 cams

Duration: 252

Lift: .400"

Schrick 248 Cams

Duration: 248/260 (In/Ex)

Lift: .4016"/.4409" (In/Ex)

Schrick 260 Cams

Duration: 260

Lift: .4488"

Schrick 264 Cams

Duration: 264/260 (In/Ex)

Lift: .4488"/.4409" (In/Ex)

Schrick 268 Cams

Duration: 268

Lift: .4488"

Schrick 276 Cams

Duration: 276

Lift: .4527"

Stock cams, 248s, 260s & 264s are all OK to run with a charger. 248s are the ones that are generally regarded to work best with a s/c setup.

Hope this helps!

• 3 months later...

Merry Christmas! Strange time of the year to be doin it but I'm halfway through convertin a cabrio vr6 and have hit a wall! Snapped exhaust manifold stud (skool boy error)with about 1cm petrooding. Have got to wait until Thurs when a garage or two may have the tools to hire out to me.

Anyhows I have the loom, pedal box etc in but does anyone have more thorough details on the install because I have questions at this point, like where to put he different connectors on the fusebox side of the new loom.

Have a great week of celebration, best regardz J'mee

• 4 weeks later...

Woo Hoo!! Finally, 4 months since the supercharger went on, the engine is remapped and producing some decent figures - 278BHP and 238lb-ft. Here's the graphs (standard VR graphs shown as a comparison):

RR_Plot_220107_bhp.jpg

RR_Plot_220107_lbft.jpg

On the road, the car is completely transformed - it pulls hard from 3500RPM right up to the redline and if you can keep the revs up, the performance on twisty B roads is simply devastating!

I've driven a standard mk5 R32 and, trust me, this is a LOT quicker. More importantly, the power delivery isn't lumpy and uncontrollable like it was before, but nice and linear - just the way a supercharged car should be!

All the earlier problems turned out to be a camshaft timing problem.

But I'm glad all the running around finally yielded the result I was after and that the cabrio is now the car I always wanted it to be.

• 3 months later...

Just to update the thread, supercharger kit has now been sold and the engine returned to standard.

Further mods will have to be down to the car's next owner, as the temptation to buy a mk4 R32 has now become overwhelming and so the cabrio is up for sale: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140111350834

Thanks to all those that have followed this project and made such positive comments every step of the way.

The project has had its ups & downs but, all in all, it's been great fun and definitely a worthwhile diversion from the daily grind of work & wife.

Hopefully the next owner will be able to build on what I've done and truly take the cabrio to the next level!

Ba*tard Ba*tard Ba*tard lol - Before buying my VR i was readin though your whole project and thought to myself 'God if only that was for sale' lol so i bought my VR and spent £8k on her getting her mint. (That’s with the car cost)

Just wish yours was up on offer before hand and i would have charged it and put it over 300bhp.

Its just a dam shame that all that time money will be appreciated but some luck bugger who most likely will abuse her not knowing what really went into getting her where she is right now :'(

I would have done you proud aswel - Well good luck with the R32 mate, personally i think you'll regret selling the Cab but we all have to live and learn,

As I said in my thread to you, shame you are selling it as lot of effort put into it. Also you'll miss the days with the roof down. I agree that Mk3 and Mk3.5 are getting popular on the modding scene!

That is one of the reasons that I sold my highline for the cabriolet, to be different and time for a change.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...