changing lower arms on the golf mk3 vr6? easy or a pig of a job?

hi guys, still on the learning curve, is it an easy job to change both the front lower arms (wishbones) on the golf vr6 or is it a bastard job to do? done them on my fiesta rs turbo and its a piece of piss!

also are mk3 VR6 arms just specific to this or will GTI arms do the job?

i found it a pig of a job' date=' drivers sidebolts wont come out because they touch the oil sump of engine.

So you need to lift the engine to do it.

I decided to take it to a local garage in the end.

[/quote']

great :-(

i found it a pig of a job' date=' drivers sidebolts wont come out because they touch the oil sump of engine.

So you need to lift the engine to do it.

I decided to take it to a local garage in the end.

[/quote']

read in PVW (Mar 2011 ed) bout them doing poly bushes on a mk4, they removed front subframe complete with wishbones attached. Is this possible on Mk3 VR6??

you need to raise the engine on the drivers side to get the bolt out just undo the rear engine mount its fairly easy job tbh

Yes you can drop the rear subframe but i dont see the point as it means lots more work (steering rack / supporting engine etc)

We dropped the subframe and everything as couldn't get one of the front wishbone bolts out (connecting to the subframe). In the end no option but to remove the subframe and weld a nut to the stubbon bolt, massive breaker bar to crack it open,

Subframe out meant rest of the replacement parts easier though (ball joints, tie rods etc). Got help on removing the u/j on the steering column.

This was all done on the drive way.

• 2 weeks later...

done the lower arms today, you have to raise the engine a little with a engine hoist to get the drivers side lower arm out and thats it, driver side lower arm was a bastard to get out but got there in the end!

If you have done this before, just go and do it. Iwe done it and i even managed to get the bushings out. Try and if you cant do it THEN send it to the shops:).

Yes you have to lift the engine, but thats a piece of cake. Remember to be careful with your cv boots and when liftinh the engine try not to squeese anything:).

Good luck!

• 3 years later...

Done mine - drop the subframe, I had to use a mates garage to do & I would advise it would be to hard to do on ur back on a sat afternoon! I dropped the subframe slightly just to get that bolt out

I would imagine the easiest way would be to drop the sump off but I didn't think it was that hard unbolting rear mount and raising engine with a jack and a bit of wood under the sump.