ANY BODY DONE A VR6 TIMING CHAIN - HAVING ISSUES

Any body ever done a vr6 chain with success ??

I just put the head back on after doing head gasket on my 2.8 vr6 vento and im having issues with my timing chain... any help would be great, ill explain as follows..

I replaced top and botton chains and guides, i had my crank on the timing marks by the end pully, the line along crank cap, and i had my middle sprock spot on the little line that the tooth on the cog faces...

I then fitted the lower tensioner, flicked the little clip out and allowed the tensioner to push against the guide, i gave it a little tweek with the screw driver like auto data says and job done..

I then fitted the top chain, with the middle sprocket and lower marks all still spot on, i fitted the setting bar in the back of the cam shaft, put chain on.. replaced cover and then bled the tensioner like auto data say then screwed the tensioner in the back of the cover...

Every single mark was spot on, setting bar in cams was perfect...

If i wind it over by hand it goes round 1 full turn then bout 3/4 way round the second turn the chain goes slack between the 2 cams then goes SNACK and drops back tight again.. It will then be fine for another turn then SNACK it does it again..

I can still get setting bar in and all my marks are 100% spot on so timings not out Huh ive wound it over bout 60 times by hand and still it does the same thing...

Now according to peter russek manual they say install the chains top and bottom, then wind it over back to tdc again then install tensioners Huh

So one else said to me that its becasue the heads been off and tensioners bled out there aint enough tension in the guides etc but will be fine once its crancked and got oil pressure..

On the other hand i may have gained some slack in the chain by installing the lower tensioner first ? rather than installing the chains then both tensioners last...

Has any one else had this problem or is it just me ?

Should i remove flywheel and clutch/ timing covers again and re time the engine and install tensioners last..

Or do i run the engine and hope that the oil pressure takes up the slack ? but possibly run the risk of the chain coming off..... I really dont know what to do or who to lisen to, auto data or peter russek manual ?

Help guys lol.... The chain remains tight the rest of the way round just every turn or so it gains half a tooth slack goes snack, then sits perfect and tight again... All timing marks remain spot on aswell.. rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

did you check the how to guide on here?????

That may have some information in it...

no mate i didnt realise that there was a guide on here im just franticly looking for help on this before i rip the fly wheel off and have to start it all again..

did you make sure that all of the slack was on the tensioner side? just done mine and its gone well

Yes mate i done the bottom chain had slack on tensioner side and installed tensioner released pin and that one seamed spot on, done the same with the cam chain starting at the middle sprocket working my way round clock wise over the inlet cam then over the exhaust cam and bk down to the middle sprocket again..

All slack was against top tensioner rail i put the covers on, installed oil tensioner in top casing, checked all my marks, all were 100%spot on, when i wind it over it gets to a point where the chain goes slack between the 2 cam then jumps back tight again, i wound it over by hand 60 times and it still does it...

Should i bit the bullet and just retime it all again.... ????

1 prob i did have and thats my cam stetting bar is ment for t4 vans there for i can only slide the bar into 1 cam at a time, but when its at tdc on timing marks i can put the setting bar in both camshafts 1 at a time if you get me lol..

What size is that slot in the cams ? in mm becasue it may be worth getting a plate made up so i can locvk both cams at the same time rather then 1 at a time, this may be my problem as i may have a little slack between the two cams that only comes around once every turn or so ? is that possible...

Also does being a preimum member have many benifits, becasue im more than happy to pay to get more stuff on here etc...

Cheers guys... Rob

if you become premium member there are loads of guides on how to do jobs and theres a really good guide i used on timing chains. a tool might be usefull they are found on ebay thats where i got mine IMG_8037.jpg ,when tightining the intermidiate sprocket bolt - the one to 100NM did anything move ?

they cost about £7. re above pic. timing lock.

Where can i find one for £7, i looked on ebay and i cant see one.. If some one could tell me the exact thicknes of there plate ill cut one from some sheet alloy we have at work..

I wanna get the car up and running and want it running by this weekend coming...

Just spent £400 on parts for this car so i cant even afford the premium memeber till payday :-(

If some one can tell me the thickness that would be great...

Had my crank line spot on, and my pully lined up with line on sump..

Middle sprocket timing mark spot on see pic

IMG_0143.jpg

I then fitted tensioner as u can see the slack is all round the back tensioner side

IMG_0144.jpg

Checked all my marks then fitted the top chain with the slack the tensioner side..

IMG_0145.jpg

every timed 100% yet i still hear the chain try and jump and snack back down, yet it still goes back on its marks 100%.....

I think maybe its best to take clutch and fly wheel off and start again... dont think oil pressure will resolve this, prob throw the chain off and kill my valves..... hufff, hufff ere we go again lol...

I'm pretty sure it is 4mm but i'm at work and can't confirm this. I got a piece of metel from my local suppliers and they cut it aswell.

If you could perhaps check when you get home bud then i can pic the message up on my iphone tomoz and get the plate cut ready to continue after work...

Gotta get this right else my mrs will kill me if i have to spend another 300 quid on straight valves.... Annoyes me ive done loads of chains and never struggled.. All my marks are spot on....

They say to fit lower chain and tension it before fitting the top chain right ???? Just one manual says to fit lower and upper chain, wind over twice then fit the tensioners ? this seams crazy to me...

the tool if 4mm thick and can get other dimensions if you need

If you could get me the exact thickness and size of the plate that would be awsome help, i think becasue i set it uop one cam at a time i may have a little rock in the cams as i had to time one cam then time the other cam if ya get me plus my tool is like half a mil to small and rocks a little...

I know its kinda l shapped, but if you could send me all sizes that would be great..

I think the problem is with the top timing not the bottom so maybe i could get away with leaving bottom cover on...

cheers guys, gr8 site and help on ere...

Firstly i would like to say thanks to every one who has helped me out on this topic by means of guidence or measurements you have all bin brill...

After consulting 3 mechanics and 1 engineer they all said the same thing and thats there isnt enough tension on the top chain because the tensioner is oil pressure fed, becasue ive had the head off and all the tensioners bled out there isnt any oil pressure pushing the tensioner out, if i try and force the tensioner out then i might over tension it causing the guide to wear out quicker due to excess pressure build up...

I have decided to replace the top tensioner, since i replaced lower tensioner, 4 guides and 2 chains i may aswell spend the extra £40 and get a new top tensioner.. Once this tensioner turns up ill fit it as it comes out the box, no messing and no trying to pull it out further by hand.. Ill fit it, fit all the other parts inc gear box cam cover and inlet manifold and ill dissconnent the coil pack so it cranks but dont fire so i can get oil pressure up to the tensioner, then ill fire the old girl up and see whats what..

I made that tool so thanks for your help on that, the engines timed up 100% now so just going to wait for the new tensioner to arrive tomoz afternoon and then i can continue putting it all back together..

Wont be able to run her till end of week because the gear box isnt turning up till friday :-(..

I may start a project thread becasue theres alot more i have to do to this car and alot more mods i wanna carry out so i can yibber crap over in that section... lol

Thanks again guys... 8-|