Finally got the chance to take the vr out today car seems to run fine until i get to around 4000rpm then it splutters on and off ive given it a service only things i havent changed are the rotor arm and dizzy which now have been ordered.

Also i dont know if the mfa is fooked but its only reading 13ish mpg town driving

Any help would be great

Aaron

Could be the MAF, then again could be dizzy cap, rotor arm, spark plugs, HT leads, blocked fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay,dirty maf if you have a cone filter, i know its not much help...........may help if you could describe in more detail what exactly happens if it happens all the time or not, how violent the spluttering etc etc

Daleyboy thanks for the info sorry i didnt really explain in detail basically the car pulls to around 4000rpm then bogs down harshly as if someone has stop airflow then the power comes back this all happens within a split second it will rev to redline but feels as if its being held back

Jim thanks for the offer i may take you up on that im going to try a new rotor arm and dizzy,fuel filter and clean maf it it persists il be taking a drive to yours lol

That would appear to rule out fuelling problems, generally the more violent the shuddering the more you should be thinking electrical so points toward the ignition system. So the likely culprits working back from the engine is ; spark plugs, htleads, dizzy cap r/arm, coil, and i had an ignition module go on an old audi which gave me a bad shudder. Obviously most of these items are service items so you cant go wrong by changing these as at least you'll have spares. If it still does it then it could be the coil which normally only happens when the car and coil get hot. It sounds silly but start with the basics making sure the ht leads are on properly and are not touching an metal thus shorting............ As Jim says getting it on Vag com could rule out MAF or any other sensor problem, if he is offering, bite his hand off.

Sounds silly but go through it methodically i for one have panicked over an ht lead not pushed on all the way........................Good luck mate............. :-p

Again thanks for the reply fella been a big help i went out a second ago and tried the ht leads were fixed down properly believe it or not one wasnt lol i havent been able to take it out and see if its solved it but il will soon and report back