after the sale of the gti i will have some spare cash, think i'm going to have to do something about the wallowy ride, it seems that the combination of eibach springs and koni shocks are a decent combination as i don't want a crashy hard ride or so low that things start catching,(so coilovers not needed,) just had all this on the gti and don't want to go down that route again far too old for that!

has anybody any opinions on this combo' and where is the best place to get them?

also when i get them will it be ok to transfer the bits from the old sus' or better to get new, and how much should i expect to pay to get these fitted as it's still too cold to be rolling around on the drive

yes was thinking about top mounts,is it possible to get all the other washers and bits from the struts so i can swap them straight over as a complete unit and not faff around stripping the old struts down, presume these are available from vw

as for fitting myself i know it only takes a few hours(i manged to change the mk2 rears in under an hour, did it 3 times in 1 week) but i'm a real lazy get and it's far to cold at the moment, i suppose i could wait till spring,

where's the best place to get them?

[ Edited Tue Feb 08 2005, 01:41PM ]

well it looks like i'll be fitting them my self, just been quoted £120 for fitting ! £150 for the springs and £350 for the adjustable shocks :o does this seem too much?

i'm sure i read somewhere on here that they should be £400 is that more like it, for this price it's cheaper to get the fk highsport coilover kit from venom,(in fact i could get the konigsport for an extra £20) how would these feel in comparison to the eibach/koni set up ?!

sorry about all the questions but don't want to end up with a car that's unbearable to drive....again &| (don't buy raceland crap)

my new car has koni/eibach and Ive driven another VR with it and it is a good set up, handles well while retaining comfort. I had the FK koni coilovers on my last VR and given the choice Id go for those everytime because the ride and handling is of the same quality (maybe better) but u have the added flexibility of height adjustability

depends what you want from the kit?

hi, i've got koni/eibach setup and i'm happy with it (not that i've ever had anything different on the car) the front shocks were £230 a pair and i'm waiting on a price for the rears - they just bust. The fronts got changed last month but they've all been on the car 10 years - so i can reccomend them for durability. I'm keeping the springs they seem ok. Also the car hardly ever catches on speed bumps and stuff - except for stupid asda.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the koni/eibach setup and have to say the handling is superb, especially if you set the top adjustable to firmest setting for a blast round East Lothian's country roads on a Sunday morning! Only trouble is that I live in Edinburgh, which has probably the worst roads in Europe! Just failed an MOT, need new ball joints, TRE's, drop links etc etc. Just replaced the konis on the rear with koni's, set them to softest setting. These are only adjustable off the car so that's the way they are gonna stay for the forseeable future. The fronts are top adjustable, again now on softest setting. I'd say it's down to a few things when you choose whetehr to buy this setup or not: state of yer roads, whetehr you are gonna do any track days, how much dosh you have (i'm now skint!) and whether you like it soft or hard(?!). I loved the firm setup, but now it's really soft i like it better for driving round edinburgh...fekked if i'm gonna let our dogy council ruin my car even more! :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmm alot of varied reponses here, i suppose 1 mans harsh is anothers "not that bad"

think i'm going to leave it for now anyway as i have front discs and pads to change and then 4 tyres to get.....cars don't ya just love 'em

Hi

I had the same problem. I decided on a set of Eibach springs - with a set of Gmax gas shocks. I wanted Koni shocks - but the complete set with Gmas shocks and eibachs came to £270!

Im going to take the gamble - as the gmax have 3 yr warranty - and i only want the handling to be a bit better, and the ride a little lower - ill let you know how they turn out.

I also replaced all the rubber mounts - tops at front, upper and lower at the back, as well as front bearing, rear bump stops and all new nuts and bolts - all from VW - cost about another £90 on top of the rest - so thats worth baring in mind.

PS i did the rear bump stops as they were falling to bits!

Cheers