whats the best turbo u can get

Does anyone know of anywhere with real empirical testing of premium priced turbos like garrets versus lower priced turbos such as Holsetts (not ebay chinese rubbish)

Id be really interested to see a Garret vs Borg vs Holsett on exactly the same platform to help make more informed decisions when buying.

It's irrelevant really because at the end of the day, people want 500hp but aren't prepared to pay for the necessary gearbox, clutch, brake and suspension upgrades to go with it.

For what it's worth, the I've seen a comparison of the Borg warner 8374 versus GT3582R 0.82 and bearing in mind the Borg has a 74mm turbine wheel versus the 35R's 68mm wheel, the Borg spools 300rpm sooner and makes more power from the same boost pressure. And further more, it's internal 42mm wastegate locked onto and held the target boost dead flat across the rev band.

Turbo technology has moved on a step, but you have to pay for it I'm afraid.

It's irrelevant really because at the end of the day' date=' people want 500hp but aren't prepared to pay for the necessary gearbox, clutch, brake and suspension upgrades to go with it.

For what it's worth, the I've seen a comparison of the Borg warner 8374 versus GT3582R 0.82 and bearing in mind the Borg has a 74mm turbine wheel versus the 35R's 68mm wheel, the Borg spools 300rpm sooner and makes more power from the same boost pressure. And further more, it's internal 42mm wastegate locked onto and held the target boost dead flat across the rev band.

Turbo technology has moved on a step, but you have to pay for it I'm afraid.

[/quote']

Id be interested in seeing in it as Id be considering SQS gear set or a haldex set up. Can you rember where youd seen that write up.

I wonder what the 300rpm earlier spool would give you in the real world or on the strip, especially if you were running anti lag.

Yip, 2nd post in on this page from Pat @ RedlineSpeedworx - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5147095-Redline-Speed-Worx-Presents-Borgwarner-EFR-Turbochargers-!/page2

The main benefit of that comparison is you're getting more power from the same boost and earlier spool, not to mention the 8374 is 800hp capable, compared to the 35R's 600.

It's all about flow. You could run this turbo at 12psi and make the same power as the 35R at 15psi, and get it 300rpm sooner. It's win win :-)

And don't forget the Borg has a big wastegate, a dump valve AND a boost control valve built in. Not to mention stainless back housing and titanium turbine, billet comp wheel.

It's a thing of beauty.

Yip' date=' 2nd post in on this page from Pat @ RedlineSpeedworx - http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5147095-Redline-Speed-Worx-Presents-Borgwarner-EFR-Turbochargers-!/page2

The main benefit of that comparison is you're getting more power from the same boost and earlier spool, not to mention the 8374 is 800hp capable, compared to the 35R's 600.

It's all about flow. You could run this turbo at 12psi and make the same power as the 35R at 15psi, and get it 300rpm sooner. It's win win :-)

And don't forget the Borg has a big wastegate, a dump valve AND a boost control valve built in. Not to mention stainless back housing and titanium turbine, billet comp wheel.

It's a thing of beauty.

[/quote']

I'll defnitely add it to the list of potentials for research, presuming its in a compact enough package to go in a vr6 bay.

Honestly! you people on here are slowly ruining my life day by day lol

If i can do something about 4wd i will genuinely consider del;aying the build again to save enough money for that turbo

any other good alternatives that i may not heard of?

I was recently looking at precision 6262 billet series which i thought overal wasn't a bad choice until i learnt about the beast above

To be honest mate, ANY turbo on a VR6 is just the most amount of fun on 4 wheels :-) 4 years on, I still get a kick out of showing tailgating reps and Focus RS's what a 17 year old VW can do ;-)

There used to be an old sticker you saw on MK2 tailgates reading "Old VWs never die, they just get lower". Well I think it's time to update it to "Old VWs never die, they just get faster" :-)