[poll] Broadband speeds in your area

I can't get cable in my area yet. Is anyone else fed up that so many under developed countries have better connections?

Yes, its pants, but what can you do? It would end up as us paying more in taxes and bills somewhere along the line!

bt are "in the process" of upgrading to fibre to the cabinet, but it will be years before its all in place and working well, then i doubt people will pay the premium for fibre broadband, resulting in the whole process being rather pointless, they should have done it years ago.

the reason most developing countries have so much better infrastructure is that exact reason, they are developing so have put much better technology in to begin with, the first world did all the hard work making the technology, they are just installing it and using it off the developed worlds back

I have a 8mb connection provided by the Post Office. On average I get just over 6mb on the download and just under 1mb on the upload.

I live not far from the phone exchange building.

Apparently the new BT fibre optics is available in my area now. They claim I can get speeds of up to 100mb and they say I will probably get an average of about 60mb. I have to sign up to BT to get this.

samknows.com is the best site for broadband information, they tell you everything, the length of your line from the exchange (very important for ADSL customers as it is the be all and end all of your ADSL performance) even to what your exchange is enabled for and if it is unbundled. very good site

I'm jealous of some of the speeds in here :-(

I live in the sticks and got 0.5Mb initially. But obviously I pay for 20Mb, the robbing bastards.

Anyway, I ripped out all my redundant phone loops and fitted a filter to the main junction box and it's now at 2Mb. That's maxxed out the line though, can't get any more out of it :-(