4Motion Noisy power Steering ?

hello all,

im Tony, Im the new owner of a Golf Mk4 2002 2.8 V6 4Motion. I have had some niggles with it, alternator probs, fuel smells, the works lol, which are now all sorted...BUT....When I drive my car, at slower speeds. ie. parking and manouvering, the power steering seems VERY noisy? Are your 4motions the same ? I mean its very noisy, the pump seems to make a rackeet ! although the steering is not heavy and the engine RPM does not move when u manouvre so i think the pump is ok?

Let me know your thoughts, muchus appreciatos !

Its going in for the Haldex oil and filter and Engine oil and filter tomoz to a time served VW dealer who does foreigners :) how muc hare u guys paying for this service? just to gauge how much he is ripping me off ? hehe

Hope to chat with you all lots over the neext few years

Tony

< I am mechanical and electrical / avionics but unfortunately its on fast jets, helicopters and small arms lol so cars aint my thing haha ;)

I'd go with low or old fluid for your power steering. A change of oil might quieten it down. How old is your car?

Haldex oil is £20 and filter is £10 and you need a long reach tool which costs £20. Largest expense for the service is the plugs but these can be bought a lot cheaper elsewhere. Get some pictures up and show us your car....

Thanks Pete. I will be a regualr here but for the right reasons I hope haha :)

Well I checked the fluid level and it was non existent hence the noisy pump struggles as expected :) Topped it up, turned hard left right few times, bit more in to the full again then it was cured :) runs like a dream now, nice and quiet lol ;)

I will copy all those part numbers and thigns for the service, thank you very much.

i just had the haldex and engine oil and filters changed, front discs re-skimmed :), engine diagniostocs checked, fitted neon blue headlights, full mechanical check of vehicle for £160 :) awesome garage and mechanic I met lives up north wales :)

All clear and serviceable :)

Only things he flagged up were the front anto roll bar anti slide bushes were cracking but ill wait for em to start knocking before I change them lol and the front wishbone driver side rear bush needs replacing soon. other than that she is a war goer :)

Tks for replys

Tony

thanks guys. Yes agree. make it a sticky wud be cool once bungy has updates the thread :)

happy with her now pete, seems to be getting sorted now, nothing major, just little niggly things, but every1 ive spoken to tells me how awesome the 2.8 v6 engines are and the 4mo in genral is renowned as bullet proof to a degree?

Tony

• 8 years later...
On 06/01/2011 at 1:08 AM, tonybunting7 said:

hello all,

im Tony, Im the new owner of a Golf Mk4 2002 2.8 V6 4Motion. I have had some niggles with it, alternator probs, fuel smells, the works lol, which are now all sorted...BUT....When I drive my car, at slower speeds. ie. parking and manouvering, the power steering seems VERY noisy? Are your 4motions the same ? I mean its very noisy, the pump seems to make a rackeet ! although the steering is not heavy and the engine RPM does not move when u manouvre so i think the pump is ok?

Let me know your thoughts, muchus appreciatos !

Its going in for the Haldex oil and filter and Engine oil and filter tomoz to a time served VW dealer who does foreigners :) how muc hare u guys paying for this service? just to gauge how much he is ripping me off ? hehe

Hope to chat with you all lots over the neext few years

Tony

< I am mechanical and electrical / avionics but unfortunately its on fast jets, helicopters and small arms lol so cars aint my thing haha ;)

Hi I've just ordered a new pump for mine so I'll let you no iv had the same problem for a couple of weeks now my new pump will be on to day or in morning I'll put the results of the outgoing of it on this for you pal