Ive just had my pants down.

Back in october 2004, i advertised some alloys with tyres on ebay for £650. They were purchased by a ebayer, who decided to pay £150 cash upon delivery and £500 with credit card through paypal- due to his credit limit only being £500. I thought fair enough. Once the payment had cleared through paypal and into my account, he came over and paid the remaining £150 and collected the goods. About 6 weeks ago i recieved an email from paypal, informing me, my paypal account had a unauthorised transaction and the payer was disputing the transaction??? Some term on paypal called "chargeback" which means my paypal account will remain in -£500 balance till the matter is resolved. I was advised to reply asap in my good interest. And so i did, stating the whole process as to what went on. Today i recieved an email from paypal saying:

"After careful consideration of the evidence provided by you and the buyer in the case referenced above, we have determined that you are liable for

the chargeback amount"

Obviously the guy has managed to wriggle his way out of it, and totally denied any involvement in the transaction. I even emailed paypal telling them why has it taken the payer sooo long to report this. The guy never left me feedback and probably never ever traded on ebay ever again.

It sucks, im left with a outstanding balance of £500 and other guy got what he wanted for £150.

i mean...... this is going back to october 2004, the money came into my account, and i spent it here and there... bought a few bit'n'bobs....the normal stuff you'd expect.

Im left with a paypal account of -£500. I mean WTF....you wouldnt expect this 4 months later would you?

cash in hand from now on.......cash in hand baby......

Paypal is sh*te. If someone buys something off you (say an ebay item), you send it to them but then they say they haven't received the item, and place a dispute they can get the the money back from paypal. They can dispute it up to 45 days after the transaction too. There is also the issue of using fraudulent credit cards to pay for goods.

Paypal doesn't protect the seller. If you do accept paypal, make sure you send stuff recorded delivery as a tracking number is proof of postage and if things go wrong there will be some comeback. On valueable items only accept bank transfers, cheques (cleared of course) and cash.

I wont use paypal to accept payment anymore after I sold a mobile on ebay - it all went through fine then the russian guy cancelled the transaction but luckily I hadnt sent the phone but the day after he withdrew he was asking where the phone was! From now on I only accpet cheques and Po's - I wait for the cheque to clear aswell before anything gets sent - so many people out there just waiting to pull one over on you.