Bungy's 4motion turbo in progress

After buying my 24v 4motion in July 09 after over 50 cars through the years of varying marks I had a fair idea of the direction I wanted the car to go in but not sure on the specifics. And so the changes started.

This was the photo from the initial advert for the car and caught my eye as it must have been one of the last 4motions made before the R32's took over. It's on an 04 plate.

media-1.jpg

A list of idea's was starting to form but there were a few things to sort out first. There was no record of a recent Haldex service, which is not unusual even from the main dealers.

So first task was to research and service the Haldex unit.

IMG_0783-1.jpg

With that out of the way I debadged the rear and set about some paint correction and polishing.

IMG_0778.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

Looking at that photo I forgot how small the standard OEM tail pipes were. Some number plate surrounds and pressed metal plates tidied things up a bit along with a club sticker.

IMG_0087-1.jpg

My attention now turned to the ride height and suspension quality. I opted for a set of AP's after asking many questions. And the same as everything else set about fitting them myself.

IMG_0925-1.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

I couldn't get the rears to sit low enough and so in the end I removed the adjusters.

Although I liked the Santa Monica alloys that came with the car they were only 7J fitment and so I found an advert on the forum for some TT Ronals that come in 8.5J and so a much wider fitment. I had the tyres removed and spent some time prepping and painting them at home in my garage in Satin black.

IMG_0093.jpg

I liked the finish I was getting and the colour and so set about colour coding the front and rear badges.

IMG_0986_2.jpg

And as you can see from this photo I fitted a Miltek non resonated exhaust which had very impressive build quality and right from the start fitted beatifully with no adjustments needed.

IMG_0989.jpg

With the exhaust, suspension and alloys fitted I now needed an intake and decat. Both of these took some time to sort but eventually I found a BMC CDA and set about modifying a decat pipe.

IMG_0994.jpg

The second hand cat was cheap from a breakers and easily cut and welded due to the heavy gauge metal it was made from.

IMG_0080.jpg

Cats removed

IMG_0081.jpg

And all welded up

IMG_0082.jpg

The supersprint version of this is over £300 and this one cost £45.

Whilst trying to decide whether to go turbo or charger the stereo came for a little bit of fettling and so all 4 speakers were changed for Alpine units and the head unit was fitted after a top tip from the Stig. The OEM pocket above the stereo cost me £30. :-#

IMG_0099.jpg

With lots of help from Team South and patient club members I slowly worked my way through the mods with even the little things making big differences. Paul showed and helped me to modify my gear linkages to shorten the throw and it works a treat. Here's a link to the "how to". http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?339221

At about this time the car broke down and managed to melt one of it's coil packs. Stig came to the rescue with some 3.6 coil packs but unfortunately the signs were not good and I thought my ECU had burnt out too as it was unresponsive. The club rallied round and that afternoon Russ came round after travelling 25 miles and tested it with VCDS. With no joy and at short notice Matt came round on a Sunday night with a spare ECU. As it turned out a fuse had blown when the coil pack failed and so all was good. Before they left Matt and the others from United Motorsport remapped my car to make use of the modifications and raised the limiter.

The rear camber after lowering had settled out and needed correction. Rather than go the well trodden route of R32 components I managed to find a company in Australia who manufacture correction bushes.

IMG_1022.jpg

With these fitted and adjusted everything sat right at the rear but the front drop links were too long. I wasn't going to pay the price of "posh" ones and so tailored a set that were right for the car.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

I've not been too happy with my headlights and tried a set of Heela quads which were very "marmite" and I removed the next day.

IMG_0287.jpg

I have now sourced a set of black surround headlights which should darken them down some and it's just a case of the postman pulling his finger out before they are fitted.

And here is the car as it stands today and one of the pictures taken when featured on the site http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?339444

IMG_1011.jpg

And one in action at Santa Pod earlier in the year

DSC_7289-1.jpg

With ARP studs ordered and parts slowly coming together here is a hint for the new years project.

IMG_0389.jpg

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark what you done to your cats was what i was thinking for practicing to weld over christmas. Will talk to you saturday about it. Think this could be a doable learning experience.

As long as your cat has no thinning of the steel then we'll do this as a project. Be nice to do the whole thing from start to finish and take some photo's.

I've not been too happy with my headlights and tried a set of Heela quads which were very "marmite" and I removed the next day.

IMG_0287.jpg

blimey you weren't wrong... :-#

nice thread some very interesting mods didn't realise you'd done your decat yourself one of the cats looks a bit mullered!

I mullered the cat getting it out but have a spare working cat for MOT's, and yes in hind sight the Hella's were a mistake but the new headlamps that I have coming will look really good. You'll be welding up de-cats in no time "H".

Thats the bit thats making me think about sports cats on the R32....cant be doing with swapping em about each time

If you take the time to modify them the first time you change them it is very easy to do in the future. I suppose I should get on and make my "special" ramps as that would make it so much easier.

I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my headlights and the Hella Quads were a failure, but in the end I knew I wanted the surrounds to be a lot darker. Eventually I found these but they needed quite a lot of work to sort out. I rebuilt them with height adjustment and 6k HIDS to keep the spec I wanted. Shame the car was filthy for the photo.

IMG_0393.jpg

Comments and thoughts welcome.....