UK Quarter Mile Times

Ive been looking over on the VWVortex forum. There seem to be quite a number of VR6 Turbos which have done pretty good quarter mile times. When you look at their setups they dont look anything out of the ordinary, many not even running standalone.

Having been to VW action a few times there seems to be very few cars here that crack 13 seconds let alone 12. I think theres 4 that crack 12 regularly (1.8T corrado, 1.8t mk2, 1.8t Mk1, and a scirroco - there well known cars so I wont elaborate further)

So basically what are they doing in the US to get these sort of times that we dont see here.

Heres an example setup taken from a users signature. There doesnt seem to be much out of the ordinary there, apart from a dam quick ET

93 CORRADO SLC TURBO 11.490 @ 128.76/1.835

C2 42# 12v VR,Garrett TO4E .69, 9:1 spacer, DSR 256, stock mani, cxracing IC , 3" TB, MT24.5, 2680#

But saying that google says the USA an uk mile are now same. I know there is a difference tho

I dont think there is.. a mile is a mile as far as I am aware as it is the old distance measurement brits took over there. Voulme measurements differ in the US gallon to Uk gallon.

They also have alot better fuel on tap' date=' and most of the good times are made using proper drag tyres, not like the crap people run here.

[/quote']

Interesting.. It certainly seems to be a lot more popular over there. It would be good to see a few more cars running those sort of times over here.

Do they have different road regs in the states too. This car looks like its driven to the stip with Drag tyres on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tosuaqsnoYc

My mates Vortech V1 equipped 2.8VR6 has ran a 12.3 @ 117.5. pretty damn good I'd say' date=' and certainly the quickest supercharged VR6 time I've ever heard of unless anyone knows any different?

[/quote']

Hi mate when you post drag times with an @ sign add a space in between the the time and the speed otherwise the forum treats it as an email address.

Was that time on street tyres ?

As said already, it's mostly down to tyre choice and driver skill. Takes practice to get good times. No one in the UK runs the appropriate tyres for winter use, let alone drag racing so we're not doing ourselves any favours.

The Americans are far more geared up for drag racing than we are. It's in their blood and they take it VERY seriously. It's one of their national sports.

For us it's more of a casual 'run what you brung' thing and people don't tend take it as seriously by and large. Obviously there are some successful UK drag racers who do very well though.

No sub 10 second VR6s in the UK that I know of. Only Schimmel has done a FWD 9 second car, but it took massive drag radials, solid rear suspension, anti-lag, launch control and 800whp to do it. No one over here has that kind of budget or know how.

Here's the car as of quite a few years ago when it ran 'only' 640whp.... http://www.dtafast.co.uk/customer%20vehicles/VR6.htm

Yep, quite an old spec that. 640 to the wheels with a spacer is well beyond the limit! It's just luck more than anything else that it holds together with that much boost.

He hit 9 dead if I remember rightly a couple of years ago, but that was a built motor, SQS gearset, bigger turbo, better mapping, Race fuel etc etc....

As said before i think its the tyre choice. Ive only seen a handful of cars run true drag tyres and they are all very near or in the 10s/11s

As a compromise I've seen a number of people mention the soft compound toyo 888 being good for drag use. Out of interest anyone here tried them?

im running 888s but have yet to break the 13s but have broken everything else' date=' drive shafts, clutches, diffs lol going for 12s next year ... going to look into drag tyres aswell

[/quote']

I've been doing some reading and mickey thomson drag radials seem to get decent feedback.

Tony have you decided what direction you will go on the gearbox side to handle the power. Cryo treated/toughened gear set, or o2m box ?