Timing Chain Piston Tensioner,

OK Issue is the VR sounded a bit chainey and as there is 6 months tax left on I I though I will just do the rails up top and run her for a the course of the tax. The rail wasnt actually too bad when I got in there but I popped it back together and drove her home.

Needless to say it was a bit off in the early revs and when going round one of my usual roundabouts I dropped her to 2nd and floored it as usual but got a complete loss of power and then all at once, and the car still sounded chainey on the top end.

With this I am thinking arse you have skipped a tooth when slackening the chain. So today stripped down again and got bank 1 TDC. Then checked the left hand side of the cams for timing and all is well.

So I then put a little pressure on the chain between the cams and it was slack. So I think the tensioner bolt is knackered. When I first put it back in there was no resistance but thought nothing of it at the time.

So where is the best place for me to source one of these as I rang 3 of my own suppliers to get "Don't know what your talking about mate"

All help appreciated folks.

Dave

im doing this aswell and just wondered if you need to replace this at the same time as all the chains guides and tensioners ?

Smooth as a babies arse the piston end of my old bolt didnt fully extend it was jammed I fitted the new on and she is like a new car again. Just make sure and spin your crank with a 27mm socket 2 full rotations and then check your cams are lined up even on the timing lines before re fitting the rocker cover.

sounds worth it then to do the job properly. so just to be clear : replace all timing parts , put the timing chain covers back on with new piston tensioner but rocker cover off, then turn 2 times clockwise untill the camshaft pulley lines up with the mark on the engine block ?

[blockquote]sounds worth it then to do the job properly. so just to be clear : replace all timing parts , put the timing chain covers back on with new piston tensioner but rocker cover off, then turn 2 times clockwise untill the camshaft pulley lines up with the mark on the engine block ?

r sweeney [/blockquote]

check the knowledge vault it shows you with pics how to do timing chains

Replace the damaged rail making sure the chain doesnt slip a tooth on the lower cog. Then replace the cover and screw in the tensioner bolt. Turn the CRANK shaft 2 turns and line it up TDC then check your cams if all looks good finish putting the engine back together. Please read this fully before attempting anything though http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1264409