Supercharging a candy white VR6.....

Ok, i am not new to modifying cars, the car i sold to buy my new white VR was a success, and i pretty much built that scoob from the ground up, and to 490bhp/470Lb/ft, which was fun.

My previous VR6 golf i made into a nice looker, and always wanted to d'do' something to it performance wise, never did apart from ss zorst and induction kit.

Now my new VR6 golf is tidy and i dont want to chop it about as such, more i would like to enhance it.

I have just sourced a nice 3 door p reg VR6 golf for good money, and its storm grey!!, which is going to be a donor and i will break near christmas, but this is where i will get my new engine from.

So i am thinking of rebuilding an engine, probably standard just for something to do over the winter, i have rebuilt 3 subaru engines all forged so shouldnt be a problem, i will ask advice on what to keep standard and what not to, which brings me onto the next point.....

Supercharger, i have seen the kits etc, all advice will be appreciated here, but i am thinking more about doing it myself, sourcing a suitable charger and all parts etc, i have the advantage of a genuis father in law to help here advice wise, he is not so clued up on the specifics of this car although he ran all the Esso oil tests on the VR6 lump for Exxon/VW all those years ago.

I am sure there are easier ways for all this, but a like a lot of us on here, its a hobby, money not really an issue, its just something i have always wanted to do, and something i can stand back and look at and say i did that, and its like no other, remembering not to chop my VR about too much.

I have a figurte of near 300bhp in mind, and i dont see why this isnt acheivable.

So i am now open to abuse/advice and all things related lol, all help is appreciated and welcome, advice will be needed and i will probably be asking for enough of it!.

I am going to start by looking at the spare engine rebuild and sourcing a supercharger to match, and also perhaps someone can advise me on the basic power levels of what my VR6 drivetrain/clutch/brakes etc can safely handle, and what needs to be upgraded, like gearbox and engine mounts etc :)

I know i have a lot of research to do, but with my pc and you lot, i think i'm in good hands

thanks

IMG_3681.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't give advice, but I'm going to watch the thread carefully, as I have also thought about getting a spare engine and doing a complete rebuild. But I was also wondering what sort of power the drivetrain/clutch/box etc can safely handle, as I can't go into 4 wheel drive etc.

So wel done you on starting my next project....lol......... lets hope it all goes well......guarantee yours will be finished BEFORE mine by a LONG way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owned my VR6 for 10 years, RIP, in that time turned it into a track toy and was still my daily driver.

The 3 best mods I made were the VF engineering supercharger, coilovers and anti-roll bars.

I had the stage 1 type supercharger kit with an additional intercooler all of which I fitted myself, took about 12 hours over a weekend was pretty straight forward. It made about 265bhp after the rolling road map and the car weighed 950kg so was quite quick. I would recommend a stage 2 if you go the supercharger route to get you over your 300bhp mark.

Coilovers I used were KW variant 2's which were simply outstanding.

The anti-roll bars were H&R and were also brilliant, still have the front one for sale: check thread

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?399508.0

You have a PM!

I'm certainly not against the turbo way mate, its just if i wanted a laggy car i would by a different car with a turbo already on it, supercharger suits the VR, also IMO the front wheel drive VR will not benefit from big turbo power as a road car, 280-300 bhp from a supercharger i reckon is the best of both worlds.

I also know if i went turbo route, i would go twin turbo, probably syncro it an spend a fortune, where would it end......

Supercharger simples :)

I'm certainly not against the turbo way mate' date=' its just if i wanted a laggy car i would by a different car with a turbo already on it, supercharger suits the VR, also IMO the front wheel drive VR will not benefit from big turbo power as a road car, 280-300 bhp from a supercharger i reckon is the best of both worlds.

I also know if i went turbo route, i would go twin turbo, probably syncro it an spend a fortune, where would it end......

Supercharger simples :)

[/quote']

Do you think we can aim for all the 3's please 333.3bhp............

I can aim for it mate lol' date=' but i think the gearbox would moan :)

[/quote']

Dam ........ gutted.......

Have you decided where you're gonna start? forged pistons?. lightened crank? titanium valves? give us a clue!!!!!?????

To be honest mate, i'm not sure about what to do, this is why i started this thread, i dont know what need s to be different from standard engine wise, yeah i know compression ratio may need to be changed, but surely depends on boost?, also i know of the obvious performance mods like racing cams, and also wise moves as always like uprated water/oil pump, but as far as internals are concerned like crank and valves, i am not sure on the benefits for a low boost supercharger?, there are always recommendations which seem correct and obvious, but are they a necessity?, like bronze valve seats and mad expensive valves/pistons/rods.

What can the standard rods and pistons handle? that's a good starting point, i remember with my first impreza build, people all over, especially on forums were telling me that i could not go over 350bhp on standard sti rods , and could not go up to 1.5 bar on an open deck block...., but now it is widely proven and i backed it up that its ok, so with regards to the standard VR6 engine it would be interesting to see what people say it can handle and what it has been proven to handle.

My hunch is in the gearbox giving up first.?.

Right, does anyone know the differences between the vr6 engine of a sharan compared to a golf, can I rebuild the sharan engine to go into my golf or are tgerexreal differences in the block/mountings/inlet etc? Obviously I will source all the other correct ancillaries and brackets that are golf specific but just wondering if there are any fundamental differences? Thanks

All you need is a spacer plate for 8.5 compression and you are easily safe for 400hp.

Rotrex chargers are £1200 for a kit of just parts

Second hand eaton M90 off a merc should support your power goals in the 300bhp range

If you can find the space eaton m112 off a XKR is good for around 500bhp.

Will be cheaper to wait for second hand kit but if your after a project go ahead with DIY,