Thought civic type-r's were fast ?

Since when is a 15 year abused prety much standard vr6 quicker than a mk1 type-r civic ( which was using all of it's 10 or 12,000 rpm or what ever they rev up to. Not moaning like just thought they were quicker than i've thought, and to be honest didn't think mine was that fast either. anyway pulled up behind one the other day at the traffic light's gave him a blip to give a clue what i wanted to do and yes he did give it all he had as did i but i had to keep letting of,f if it was a clear road i would of sailed past himeasily. Another one for the vr6's eh.

The fact that the VR is a older car is negated by the fact that it's a 2.8 whereas the type-r's are 2.0. When i had my VR i raced my mates EP3 from a standstill and I was ahead until about 80mph where he took over. Thats where the long 3rd gear lets the VR down and where the type-r would usually overtake.

I also had a integra type- r for about 6 months which was a lot of fun and very different. It's much more nimble and would eat a VR around a track but the VR has much better usuable daily torque. The type-r's require alot of revving.

To perpatuate this argument ... i drove from Guildford in Surrry to Haydock Park oooop north today in uder 3 hrs .. M6 was pretty busy . I was driving the Wife's Seat Leon Cupra R and rinced this Civic Type R who thought he was a big man up my chuff for 30 miles... from Oxford

Incidentally i saw going the other way this good looking light baby blue Mk3 with chromed rollcage mmmmm wonder who it was ! ? Can't possibly of been Ben ???? lol

around here the Honda vtecs gives the vr6's hell......

did a squint with a b20 vtec and from the mark he gave me carots up to 240.... but given he was modded... made me feel like i was looking for parking...

gave tonnes of stock mk5 gti's hidings, which does 144kw , where my little vr does 135kw... anyways.

i respect the technology of the honda crap, but would neva ever buy one..

The fact that the VR is a older car is negated by the fact that it's a 2.8 whereas the type-r's are 2.0. When i had my VR i raced my mates EP3 from a standstill and I was ahead until about 80mph where he took over. Thats where the long 3rd gear lets the VR down and where the type-r would usually overtake.

I also had a integra type- r for about 6 months which was a lot of fun and very different. It's much more nimble and would eat a VR around a track but the VR has much better usuable daily torque. The type-r's require alot of revving.

Agreed... I owned a Integra for 2 months..

Fast car's and handle like a dream espec when coilovers are fitted

You cant argue with what honda has done with smaller 4cyl engines though, shame euro 5 regs have killed the typeR program, at least for now and at least for the naturally aspirated high revving VTEC that if you are a real car person love to wring out to 5 figures.

I know that all these new cars that are small displacement and big power that their engines are so highly strung sometimes to the point of compromise, but thats not all the manufacturers fault, the regs are strangling and constraining them, more concerned with climate propaganda than the minority of people who love the cars for what they can provide.

It strkes me as a pretty big coincidence that some of the best drivers engines are being canned in the euro5 program.

As a person passionate about cars, this upsets me.

back on topic of this discussion about typeRs being rockets, they arent slow, but yes, ive had dealings with one when i had an A3 TDI 170BHP and stuck with him.

But from experience i know that the guy in the civic would have been having way more fun.

had a 2003 ctr in front the other day he opened up so i opened up the vr think he got a massive shock when i was sat on his rear bumper after half a mile lol, he wouldnt move over tho maybe he didnt wanna c if i could do him , saw him 2 days on and he was not interested he knew then that my old p reg was more than a old p reg !

• 2 weeks later...

i drove a few s2000s and type rs when i worked down the docks for honda , the older type rs are great fun but the new 1s are crap , you dont get the same thrill as you do in a 04 reg , s2000s are fun tho and pretty dam quick ya know if you use the rev range then it is very quick cant take nothin away from them tey can take abuse but still i would av my vr any day of the week , the v6 with the full miltek systemjust sounds to good in my opinion

dont think l have ever had an opportunity to play with a ctr , there dont seem to be any around my area or that l have found yet lol it seems to be mostly BMW & Merc's that want to have a go :)

I did get a shock from a Mk2 GTI the other day who kept up with me all the way to 130 then we hit some traffic and had to slow, dont know if he was stock or not though lol