LET THE MODS BEGIN!

Hi Guys

I have a rather untidy VR6 which I am in the process of tidying up and keeping for a long time. There are some modifications which I am looking to do over a period of time and any help will be appreciated as to what is the best combination of mods to do on the car. Its an OBD2 engine on a N plate with 151000 plus miles.

Firstly, it seems as if my engine has got free revving and responsive since its hit over 150 clicks? Is this common on these engines. The general consensus is that german cars get run in about 100 clicks and I just figured that being a bigger engine it may take a few thousand more miles lol... In any essence its even giving me better mileage so Im not complaining lol..

Ok - as far as the mods go here is what I have in mind...

Suspension and Anti Roll bars- The VR6 is really wallowy. Whats a good reasonably priced kit that can be purchased and how much difference does it make to the handling.

Currently the car has a K&N filter in the standard airbox. Apparently the VR's OEM equipment is quite good for breathing so I have read. Is this correct - I am a bit reluctant to spend £200 on a BMC kit - is the induction kit really worth it over the panel filter?

Exhaust - I have read the OEM exhaust is very restrictive and heavy. Being a big engine how much bhp can be extracted with an exhaust and a stainless stell manifold? Also what make of exhaust is recommended?

Headwork and Cams - is this mod worth it? I have heard the ports are quite small due to the 15 degree narrow angle design of the engine, so are the gains worth the money when it comes to porting the head? If so how much is an average bhp increase? Cams - are they worth it in this car, again if so, what make, whats the cost and what are the gains.

I am not interested in a Shrick manifold or forced induction - I am just after a nice racy road car with sorted handling and possibly a 20-30 bhp increase.

Any help is appreciated and looking forward to the responses.

doesnt your engine getting more powerful and free-er at high mileage means that its near wearing out?

Dont know why you say you wouldnt be insterested in schrick as the easiest most cost effective way to get a power increase with NA is schrick VGI, schrick 268 cams and remap, filter and exhaust etc compliment this but those 3 are where your easy increases are.

BMC CDA is the daddy of CAIs and they pop up all the time on ebay, i got mine for 50 quid

I have read that SS manifold is only really for sound on NA as they only come into benefit with a supercharger, however true that may be. General consensus is milltek is top, there are graphs that state jetex are best for power.

Eibach do an ARB kit for the VR6

VR6 StornT - Thanks for the advice. Do you have any suggestions as to which specifics parts I should be purchasing, ie/ which coilover set, kam, exhaust, chip, filter etc...

Lukey B - thanks for the post as well mate. Near wearing out? Thats the first I have heard about it. To be honest I would have thought that a vr6 engine would go well over 200k without any problems. My last mk3 gti 16v was sold with 212k on the clock and performance and mpg were not affected in any way.

The only reason why I want to steer away from a VGI is that I have heard/read that they only make power in the mid range and then it tails off at the top. I quite like the old skool high revving nature of the VR6.

Thanks for the advice on the SS Manifold, but I dont really want to pay £200 just for a good sound, i would prefer to pay that money and get the BMC.

So, in conclusion so far my mod list is:-

Eibach Kit

BMC CDA

Milltek/ Jetex exhaust.....

I will look at Cams/Chips later... but any info recieved now will be appreciated.

Anyone else on the forum please feel free to give me some advice....

Once again thanks guys.

I am of the same view as you, VW engines are run in by the thick end of 100k. Just what a mate told me who rips his engines to bits and rebuilds just cos hes bored on a sunday.

The Schricks move the peak torque from around 4200rpm to about 3600rpm while increasing quite a lot it at the same time, but max power is still made at like 5500rpm just more of that aswell. Its like a best of both worlds miracle mod, more torque and lower down so more accessible with increased power at the same rpm.

You know what carol shelby says, power wins arguments but torque wins races

Ok guys here is the latest update.

I spoke to Vince at Stealth Racing yesterday (nice chap) and he quoted me £2800 for the vgi, 264 cams and a remap. That is waaayyy over what I intended to spend on the car.

Considering I brought the car for only 800 quid, it also needs a respray so I need to budget for that.

However he did mention something called Shimmel 264 cams, which apparently give near VGI power (obviously not the same) and they are £300. He quoted me in all £1200 for a BMC kit, Shimmel cams and a remap).

So now I have something to work towards. However the interesting thing is that he said "Dont go out running to purchase a SS exhaust because they dont release that many extra horses."

Im guessing he knows his stuff, but I am surprised that on a 2.8 engine, a SS will make minimal difference. What are your thoughts on this please guys.

So here is my list of mods that I need to do.

Respray

Suspension kit, with anti roll bars, and strut braces.

BMC kit

SS Exhaust????

Shimmel Cams and a remap.

This should yield the extra 20 bhp I am after.

Thanks guys....

S/s is worth it for the quality and on any car a free flowing exhaust will always eek soemthing extra out. Prob with the vr6 is vw decided to put a huge mid box as well as back box and cat...the vr engine had the potential to give alot more power, but they restricted this in design purposfully for 'sensible' reasons, even because in europe big power means bigger tax's etc. So a good pipe will always help...de cating will make it feel more pokey for a start, obviously the less restriction th better however this comes at a price the sound level increases. Tons of air intakes to choose from, again some will offer more, but again any direct intake of cold air will be beneficial, the bay gets VERY hot, alot of heat soak.

Iv just changed to a budget set of coilies £168, they in my opinion for the 3rd day of driving is outstanding, not too harsh at all and i am wound right down,...totally transformed the handling....i would recommend them.

If a SS decat system doesn't add that much to power, it definately adds to the noise.

The only thing putting me off a schrick manifold is the price. They are really expensive!

I find the vr engine lacks power at the bottom of the rev range.

With the bmc induction kit, are they all universal or do they need to be specific fora vr

Karl what sort of colies did you get> For the amount or work I need to do to the car I am looking for any good budget item recommendations

Hot tunning ones, actually labbelled in the box as tunning art, they are specific for the vr6 which is a heavier engine. I didnt take pics in box, but they look great. They are from belgium, although originate from germany, most are but just get relabbelled different brands. Being german quality has to be good as strict quality control,which is always good,fully adjustable, 30-120mm!! tuv appoved, 3 yr gaurentee.spanner and spray For the price of 168 glden nuggets...

I was expecting the ride to feel like 168 quids worth but its seems at the mo absolutely fine!!!

I feel like i should be selling these.lol You want the link??

Karl what sort of colies did you get> For the amount or work I need to do to the car I am looking for any good budget item recommendations

Hot tunning ones' date=' actually labbelled in the box as tunning art, they are specific for the vr6 which is a heavier engine. I didnt take pics in box, but they look great. They are from belgium, although originate from germany, most are but just get relabbelled different brands. Being german quality has to be good as strict quality control,which is always good,fully adjustable, 30-120mm!! tuv appoved, 3 yr gaurentee.spanner and spray For the price of 168 glden nuggets...

I was expecting the ride to feel like 168 quids worth but its seems at the mo absolutely fine!!!

I feel like i should be selling these.lol You want the link??

[/quote']

I have the same coilies and have no complaints at all, also had them on my last car and still had no probs :-)