Whats your opinion about the Golf R32?

im planning on buying a car this summer, but im finding it hard to decide which one to get.

Ive looked at the bmw 330 ci, integra type r, R32, Audi S3, EVO 7/8.

I was reading the top gear report on www.topgear.com about the R32, and it sounded like it wasnt all that. Anyone fill me in....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mk 4 is a bit of a stodgy handler standard, and is also heavy, even more so with the 4WD gear on board. 0- 60 in mid 6's, 240BHP is higher than most hot hatches. It was also v. expensive next to the civic type r which offers similar performance. However the R32 was the best of the mk4's and looks the nuts! Good handling, decent performance and a lovely interior to boot. EVO car magazine did a test comparision of R32, Focus RS, 147GTA and Civic Type R. The Golf came 1st so its got to be saying something as these guys test some very exotic machinery.....R32 for me out of any of those youve listed by far, but thats just me......3 series are ten a penny, integra is japenese and has no character, S3 is nice but too conservative. Evo's are nice mind- and very fast but i would still go for the R32 :)

Lovely looking car, i'm sure it's comfortable and probably quick enough to have no problems with everyday cars, but for that money i'd want a lot more car.

I'd go for an Evo VI Tommi Mak if you can afford the running costs, they've dropped like a stone in value due to the influx of rep mobile Evo 8's being sold, the VI TME is the only Evo that i personally think will hold it's money well over the next few years.

Depends what you want from a car though really? 350z is a nice car too BTW.

Depends what you want from a car though really? 350z is a nice car too BTW.

Probably what every good looking single guy wants :D

powerfull' date=' comfortable, not too harsh on servicing costs, nice exterior styling, reliable- should stay with me for a few years to come, and must be good for day to day driving.

Mistake me if im wrong.....A few people have mentioned to me, that scoobys and evo arent really ideal for day to day driving.

[ Edited Mon Jan 17 2005, 04:10PM ']

I came from an Evo 6 to the VR to save some money.

I wouldn't personally buy another one!

Before the Evo i had an M3 Evo, now THAT was a lovely car for any sort of driving........ but with the sort of Service bills i saw i'd take that off the list too.

I suppose a car like the 350z would be good, they're definitely powerful, comfortable, awesome looking and cheap to maintain being a Nissan.

Only thing is depending on driving - the fuel consumption isn't brilliant but if you do motorway driving etc it's not bad.

Make a shortlist and then weigh up the Pros / Cons for each car

ive just bought myself a honda accord type r 02 plate for day to day driving. the petrol cost were killing me with the VR6 .. but i cant sell it dunno what it is that is compelling me to keep the vr . but if you want a practical 4 door family car with speed i would higly recomend a accord type r .

For me the Accord was a bit "tinny" it's an old design of a car now, and that V-Tec lump required some serious revving to get it going, and that noise was a bit too much for me.

Lovely looking car though, i must admit!

I'd say if you have £20k to spend though, it's gotta be something newer?

good point that acf..My friend used his scooby for a recce car on last years WRC before his start, he caned it hard on a full tank of petrol- hes managed a record of 78 miles off one tank!!!!!! And i thought the VR6 was heavy on juice. What about an R34 Skyline GTR....Thats a serious bit of kit. Dont know what youd get for 20k though.....

The R32 is def a nice car, but I can't justify the price on it. If I was in the market for an upgrade on the VR I would look at Seat Leon Cupra R or and S3. Don't take too much to tune up and have reasonable running costs. Evo is a good option if you wana go for Jap. But from experience the the 330ci can be had for half the price of a R32 and they are very rapid.

330 Ci is a nice motor, look good with the Club sport kit on too, especially in Estoril Blue!

I had an Evo 6 as my everyday car - got VERY annoying after a while, squeeky brakes, awful consumption, hard uncomfortbale ride in a firm bucket seat, kids pointing all the time....... kinda gets a bit tiring - it's not exactly understated lol.

Sitting in traffic in one does your head in, you can watch the fuel gauge move and the car just doesn't feel like it wants to be going slow, needs a windy empty country lane to use it everyday imo

someone said on the prevous page that a scoob or evo isn't practical as an everyday car...i disagree' date=' a very useable safe car.[/quote']

but not as practical as an R32...

Out of that list Id go for the R32... maybe not the quickest but it's not slow either and on everything else ie looks etc it wins hands down... scoobys/evos might be cheaper but will cost u a lot more to service/repair and when you want to sell, the R32 will hold its value a lot better... just my opinion

I'm with Justin here i reckon. The R32 is going to have less of a depreciation than the Japs here. It is a nice car, i've had the joy of a spin in one, as well as following one, and being taken for passenger rides a few times, and it's definately the car i'd have. It sounds awesome, and with the 4WD, the traction off roundabouts and from bends is awesome! It has sensible service intervals and no turbo to f*ck up, and is basically a VR6 anyway!

The Scoob that i've had the pleasure of driving was quick yes, but IMO it was awkward. It needed working and thinking about in order to get it to be fast, where as the R.............it's just there. The Evo can only be the same IMO.

The Audi S3 is a serious competitor in my eyes. I like them and would have one. Resale is typical VAG performance model, therefore does not have much in the way of depreciation. And being a 20vt, they're easy to get very good power from.

The Beemer is one that i like, but probably wouldn't have just for the stereotypical BMW owner snobbery. Thats just me though!

Other options to me for similar money would be the Seat Leon Cupra R. Again, very fast, and easy to get even faster, but resale values could be lower. I'd also contemplate the MK5 Golf GTI. Our CGTI regional host that previously had an R32, rates the MK5 GTI very highly. It is nimble, has a brilliant sounding engine for a 4 pot, and is comparatively cheap and £19995 basic OTR price. Worth looking into perhaps......

you need to keep that turbo spinning, and compared to the laziness of a R, or VR, it's just too different. I know it's the same with almost all Turbo cars, but IMO it was all or nothing. Similar to what was proved on Top Gear with the FQ400. Off boost it's useless!