I have put Mk4 calipers on my VR and here is what I know/ did....

You use standard size discs and the original Mk3 caliper carriers. My 2nd hand Mk4 calipers came with its carriers. You might be able to use these Mk4 rear carriers if your were prepared to angled grind to fit and also cut the metal dust shield to fit. Much easier just use the Mk3 carriers.

The brake hose fitting on the Mk4 caliper is a banjo type fitting (So caliper, copper washer, hose, copper washer and then the screw valve fitting on top). The Mk3 brake hose that goes into a Mk3 caliper is just a screw in type fitting. (dunno tech term!) thats why you need these 'conversion' type hoses.

Remember to clean and throughly lube the slider pins in the calipers before hand. Use a brake rewind tool to push back the piston. Bleed brakes in usual way etc. Amongst all that I replaced with new discs, pads, bearings etc and hopefully won't have to touch the rear brakes for a long while. Couldn't fit the brake pad squeal shims and brakes are not squealling anyway.

Currently I am running Goodridge braided hoses at the rear and standard front hoses. Car has no detrimental effect but ideally looking to upgrade the fronts with braided hoses.