My stock Golf MK3 VR6 2.8 could use a little more power

Hello VR6OC! I am new here, so please bare over with me if i misplaced this threat (:

So, i figured you guys could help me out here. - since you are the "elite" if i may.

I have a nice lowrered 1994 VR6 2.8 in dusty purple with pretty rims and black VW emblems. I finally got it! It is amazing.

The thing is that i wanted a little more of that lovely power. So i am starting in the minor sections, and will upgrade what is nessecary to get the power i want.

I just ordered a BMC CDA85-150 - (Carbon Dynamic Airbox) Which will replace that stock airbox.

Next i wanted to upgrade the stock chip. Now this is where you guys come in handy, because i am a little confused regarding the VR6 Chips.

What are your recommendations with a good performance chip? and where do i pick it up?

i figured, after applying the new airbox and chip, i will end up close to 200BHP. - Now we are getting somewhere.

By the way, do you guys have any experience with the BMC CDA? and does it sound good? (:

The third part i was thinking about, was a new exhaust. I am running with the stock, and it actually sounds pretty good. Especially when it is nice and warm. I once had a friend who had mounted a Hartmann Exhaust, and i sounded soooo lovely! i want that ! i searched for it, but never found it. Do any of you know where i can purchase it?

Thank you all for your attention. I hope you can help me. Thanks (:

//Stonedizzy

Thank you!

What kind of exhaust would you recommend for my VR6?

I actually found the Hartmann Exhaust for about 1000,-£ - does any of you guys have any experience with that? - or do you have a better suggestion ? (:

Regarding the chip - do they have to be set to my specific car? is that what the term "mapping" is all about ?

Do i need to get pros to mount it and set it up for me? or can i just order a chip and mount it myself ?

There are some chips available ready to go straight in but they are not as affective as getting your car custom mapped. And yes mapping means to map the output from each aspect of your car and trim the settings to perfectly tune it for the desired results whether it be for a smoother more economical ride or for all out power and performance.:)

no point mapping anything until u get the breathing right, filter zorst de-cat or sports cat depending on how nice ur mot bloke is and some cams if u wanna go that far then map it. otherwise if u just filter and exhaust then map it if you add cams at a later date u have to map it again to get the full benefit.

The chip alone will not give you that power my friend...

The basics are Filter... BMC is a good one lots on here have it and enjoy the performance and the sound.

Exhaust systems are a subject of debate. If you use the search function for - which exhausts? It is covered many times.

The key is several points.

you can run with 2 or 3 box systems and different diameters.

As you increase the diameter you loose the low down tourqe of the engine.

Many systems give a drone sound when at motorways speeds so it is important to check this out when choosing your system.

There are many examples of exhuasts. The popular one here is the Miltek systems. Which are good "off-the shelf" CATback systems.

I had a made to measure system by Longlife made for my car. to meet my needs.

Usually this is not much more expensive than the off the shelf products. Around the £300 mark fitted - subject to your specifications of course....

If you know a very good builder local to you then visit them and talk to them. They will use better quality materials and it will be made to meet your needs exactly. Sound as well as BHP/style etc etc

Do not waste your money on a chip. You should get the car remapped on a rolling road to get the best from your car (after all modifications are made). It is usually around the £350 mark.

If you want to get BHP nearer the 200+ mark then you will need to replace the cams or start to look at the Turbo/Supercharging which is the best modification you will ever do! :D

If you spend some time doing searches - the site has a lot of information to help you on each step!

Oh and welcome ;)

Id personally spend a bit less and get the car sounding nice with a decent cat back and intake and then just start saving for second hand charger. Has to be the best value of £/hp you can get.

yea thats my plan too, makes sense imo. id rather wait and by not getting cams/polish+ported/schrick etc, and remapping it everytime, save money get forced induction sooner! jus the old charger vs turbo then....and its a hard one!

Id personally spend a bit less and get the car sounding nice with a decent cat back and intake and then just start saving for second hand charger. Has to be the best value of £/hp you can get.

yea thats my plan too' date=' makes sense imo. id rather wait and by not getting cams/polish+ported/schrick etc, and remapping it everytime, save money get forced induction sooner! jus the old charger vs turbo then....and its a hard one!

[/quote']

Nahh that's simple. Do it your self stage 2 charger or go the whole hog and get a Stealth Turbo.. I know that doesnt help outside the UK but ... simples... :D

atm im planning a diy jim potter style turbo....chargers are way to expensive for me currently. but maybe after my wedding i might have more spare cash! would prefer charger i think, cos i would get carried away with a turbo, wind it up and keep breaking stuff!!!

I have a custom remapped chip for a 1994 golf VR6. I had it remapped 1 week before I supercharged it and it felt quite good. The car drove as if you'd just started it up on a cold winter morning. I don't rag my cars from cold but you know they are faster whilst cold. I paid £100 for the remap. Can have the ecu for £40 +postage. It has a socket fitted to the ecu and has a copy of the standard chip too. I also have a remapped chip for a supercharger for the same ecu if ur interested for an extra £20

My highline 2.8 had ram air filter no cat and made 212 on the rollers yes it was a late vr I'm 99% sure they had a different ecu as when fitting aircon and full leather the car was down on power due to the extra weight??? I have heard of several vr6 producing this or around this figure in standard engine

form

my car made 176bhp standard with 150k on clocks fitted induction kit n cat back system and ran on tesco 99 fuel made 184bhp second time round with 225nm of tourque. as said rolling road figures are made up and can be very accurate or way out like when my m8 took his vectra 3.2 v6 gsi on rolling road n only made 168bhp n next week made 210bhp when stock figure should be around 210bhp its down to rr operature