rescued a storm for a song!

hey guys,

my lucky day today--

a few days ago a guy mentioned to me he knew where there was corrado vr6 for sale, in a yard in glasgow, no keys,, not moved in over a year. being a vr6 junkie, i was interested..

i went with him to see it today- in a scrap yard of all places.

couldnt belive my eyes- it was a storm!!!

mystic blue, no keys, no paperwork, covered in fallout and mildew.. a true DIAMOND in the rough. i hpi checked it- all clear.not stolen or written off.

couple of blisters on the body, a couple of small dents- otherwise spot on!! (filthy though, but i can see through dirt)..bbs alloys are mint (not solitudes, these are like bigger, deeper golf vr6 bbs's). brakes look new, tyres look new, blisteins still bright yellow, very good interior-looks like 100,000miles odd. no sign of accident damage, all orignal paintwork..

what a sight to follow!.. no keys- steering on full lock and steering lock on, it was forklifted onto the back of a wagon (with me helping to balance it while 8ft in the air!)..

getting it off the back of the wagon was a job too!.. jacked it up, bread bins under the front wheels, towed it off with a golf (vr6 of course), dragged it into position-- sounds like less work thasn it was lol..

i gave it a good thourough wash to see what i had.. its actually a very nice example!..

story goes.. owner lost the keys, it lay up for over a year, somehow finds its way to a breakers- it lay in thier yard for months- too good to scrap. probably lifted by the cpos, impounded, owner never paid etc.. it was sitting there just waiting for the right man to come along with the ability to see a future in it. they had NO idea of the value of the car.

i'll not say what i paid for it, as inevitibly i'll be offering it for sale in the near future, once i have restored it. lots to do before i offer it for sale though-, keys, apply for paperwork and source history, paint/bodywork, mot,- i just hope it runs right after all that time standing!

here she is- poor pics taken on my iphone.. i'll get her up and running, looking like a million dollars again in a week or two..

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0274.JPG

IMG_0275.JPG

thats her! saved from the crusher.. ive got my work cut out for me, but with alittle good luck, there will be a lovely car at the end of it all (and a nice profit too lol!)..

those eagle eyed will spy mystic blue and candy white vr's in the backgroud.. ive got 4vr's just now (also got a mulberry highline)-- just cant help but buying them if i see them locally- i love vr's!..

thanks for looking, comments welcome. i'll update this thread as the work progress...

cheers

mark.. buchananmotors.co.uk

the key man never came today, but has re-arranged for tomorrow (friday).

i fitted a new battery today, hooked it up- we have 148000 miles on the clock. more than i estimated, but thats no worry to me.

i got in the boot, found a full set of powerflex bushes-purple and yellow rubber things, all brand new. i suspect the last owner never got round to fitting them. a nice find- maybe i'll put them on my golf.

a furhter nosey round the car revealed, bright yellow bilstein coilovers, k+n 57i induction (now on my golf ;)), new grooved brake discs all round, the exhasut appears to be stainless also. along with the unworn tyres and mint wheels and the unfitted powerflex bushes, this car has obviously had a small fortune spent on go faster bits by a very enthusiast owner. this gives me hope that it'llbe a good car when i get it running.

i have 2 concerns.. maybe you can appease?

1..there was no water in it- it drank 4.5 litres of coolant. why was there no water in it? even after a year stadning would it/could it evaporate? has it been drained? (all other fluids were present and topped up)

2.. there is a plug on the dash board for an non stantard immobiliser key. if there is an immobiliser in the way- how easy it it too remove? it can be removed right?

cheers

An immobiliser can be cut out easy enough, on cheaper (and possibly all models) it's usually a unit between the ignition barrel and starter motor.... even if it's not, it will just b a case of replacing the wire with the immobiliser in-line with a fresh one, use a multimeter to find out what u have to cut/replace etc.....

update..

got a key!

i got a key cut and programmed today, but still no joy- car wont start.

the immobilisers have been removed, key has been programmed. im told there should be no reson why it shouldnt start- but it wont.

he cut and programmed a key, removed an immobiliser the tried to fire her up- she did turn over for a few seconds- then nothing. the starter motor did turn a good strong turns for 3seconds but now it wont go at all (the starter motor)

the key man tells me the problem now must be with the starter motor fuse or the motor itself. he had a a lok around the engine bay and pointed out an earth strap on the alternator was corroded- corrosion like that like that may also be the cause of the probelem too.

my next move is to have a another man look at her (an RAC pal), see if he can get her going.

tomorrow, i may try see if she will bump start with a tow..

the saga continues...

thanks for that.

no further forward today..instead im 1 step backwards- i showed a car to someone yesterday and they disappeared with the corado key! have no idea how the key found its way into his pocket-mustve been amongst keys we were handling.. anyhoo, i'll not get the keys back until tuesday.. (im pissed about that).. so i can do nothing with the car until then.

update..

shes runs!!

got the key back on thursday, my RAC pal spent some time with her this morning.. and she lives!!

did lots of tests, testing circuits, spark, fuel etc..the reason she would not turn over was not due to the strarter motor at all- it was the wiring under the dashboard, fuse/relay box wiring has a bad connection in one of the relays circuits..

a fiddle around with fuse box- and she turns over and starts fine!

amazing- it has been laying for well over a year, 10seconds of turning over and she roared back life. we resolved a missfire from an ill fitting ht lead and all is well!.. no cigar yet though!---

i have a minor waterleak- i knew the bottle was empty when i got the car, i was afraid of a cracked block or blown head gasket-- but it seems to be dripping from the radiator exchange unit (for want of better term)- the plastic moulded thing the radiator pipes feed into- sits above the gearbox on/in front right side of the engine. should be a straight forward fix..

so, well further ahead than this time yesterday, on my to do list now is..

*have a spark deal with the fuse box connections

*source and fit a part for the radiator exchange thingy(?- help name??)

*Mot

*paintwork

..absolutley delighted that she runs. i drove her 10ft back and 10ft forward again- feels fine to me.. clutch is good with mid-low bite, brakes feel great too.. shame i couldnt get a propoer run in her-likely it may cut out with the fuse box in such a bad way just now..

progress all the same!! at least i now know she is a viable car now- a wee bit of work and investment still yet, but is all within budget and the gamble has paid off.. if there had been a cluch, g'box or head gasket issue it would have probably ended the project for me-- but that fear is over now..

thanks for your help and comments!..

cheers