hit a new PB on Sunday

14.65 @ 94mph. Yes, only 5 hundredths faster but it all counts.

Also record 0-60mph in 6.2 seconds as well. Can't find the timeslip though with the 6.2, I have it in my car somewhere!

I did more runs that any other car over the weekend at York, with scalps including a Nissan 350Z, Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T, Honda Integra Type R (DC2, alleged 220bhp) a RWD Honda H22A Pug 106 GTi. Not bad for a pretty much stock 900 quid Golf VR6!

you should get a stock car into low 15s even on crap tyres.

it takes lots and lots of practice to perfect the launch. I'm down to a fraction off a 2.1 60ft (even sure I managed one just can't find the slip) on just pov spec Toyo T1's.

your 60ft time is absolutely crucial to running anywhere near the car's potential :)

• 2 weeks later...

you should get a stock car into low 15s even on crap tyres.

it takes lots and lots of practice to perfect the launch. I'm down to a fraction off a 2.1 60ft (even sure I managed one just can't find the slip) on just pov spec Toyo T1's.

your 60ft time is absolutely crucial to running anywhere near the car's potential :)

Damn right, I only go and do the 1/4 once or twice a year, sure mine could do a late 13 as it is with a better technique.

Pretty sure Mr Horrocks got a Mk2 VR N/A into the 13s so the potential is there

I've found with drag racing it's all about practice, keep working on finding the best launch, tweak the tyre pressures and you can run good times.

Personally this is how I do it -

Drop front tyre pressure to 22psi

Engine and oil at usual road temps, some people say run it a little cooler but I don't understand why.

IF I do a burnout... Sit the cars front wheels into the burnout pads (this is easier at York), then put into 2nd gear and rev to about 5.5k before dropping the clutch and pulling up the handbrake, with a bit of luck it should sit on the spot with both wheels spinning, if not turn the front wheels a bit... once it feels like it's gonna grip and spit you out, clutch in, handbrake down, if you leave it to go forwards stuff might break!

Once on the line and staged I sit at 2.5k, clutch just below biting point, once the lights go amber, clutch up and foot down! It shouldn't spin the wheels! I normally shift at about 6.2k. Only 3rd > 4th gear is a flat shift (as in, don't lift off the throttle when shifting lol).

then with a bit of luck it goes something like this...

, although that was a pretty bad run, my gear changes were awful.