drive shaft length

the stock vr6 drive shafts are too long on both small and large shafts plus the spline on the shaft is too small to fit the 110mm cv from on 02m gearbox end

for small shaft you need the 1j0 407 271gc from a mk4 golf pd tdi engine this fits spot on

the long shaft from the same mk4 golf pd tdi is way too long

a long shaft from a 2005 seat ibiza asz engine 6 speed or fabia vrs part number 6Q0 407 272 CL will fit but its 20mm too long and has thinner threads on the end

the bare shaft lenght from the 6q0 407 272cl driveshaft is 668mm

ideally you want a 02m 1j0 407 272gd long shaft from the mk4 golf pdtdi plus other models this will fit vr6 hub and the 02m 110mm cv end

remove both ends and shorten the bare shaft total lenght down to 643mm i know this is more than 20mm but ive taken into account the extra movement on the 110mm cv s

Thanks mate my thinking was if i got a shaft that was the same length as the vr one and it was 6 speed it would be a direct fit obviously not. so what one are you going with the lupo one. ive got a 1j0 407 272 et not a clue what its off but looks about right i will let you no the bare length when ive measured it.

the diff on the 02m measures 300mm to the cv flange to flange the 02a is 245mm cv flange to flange

55mm wider and is offset 20mm on the drivers side and 35mm on the passenger (rhd car :-)

i dont have a lupo gti 6 speed shaft to measure but id like to know the bare lenght off one and also see if it has the bigger spline to fit 110mm cv ...

i finished up shortening a bare 6 speed driveshaft to 643mm refitted the cv ends and it fits perfect

sounds good the inner cv ive got on my 6 speed shaft looks a bit wired http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-1-9TDI-6-SPEED-DRIVESHAFT_W0QQitemZ270493941540QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efab1ff24#ht_500wt_728 just like this one but must be right if he is selling this one as a 6 speed shaft.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to be dumb, but are the shafts quoted above based on using the 02m for a 4wd conversion, or for a 2wd?

I'm just starting out on the 02m addition to my Mk2 vr conversion. I'm using Mk3 running gear but keeping it 2wd so have been told I have to remove the transfer box, get a blanking plate from C2 motorsport, and also a new flange to go in place of the transfer box....this right?

Am I right in saying that I need both drive shafts from the Golf PD TDI (part No's above)? If so, will these fit into the original vr hubs or can I change these for 4 mo ones as I'm gonna need to buy new hubs of some kind coz mine are knackered! And what's the deal with CV joints etc?

Anyone know of a dummies guide to doing this on a 2wd vr?

Cheers for any help!

Rus.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be dumb' date=' but are the shafts quoted above based on using the 02m for a 4wd conversion, or for a 2wd?

I'm just starting out on the 02m addition to my Mk2 vr conversion. I'm using Mk3 running gear but keeping it 2wd so have been told I have to remove the transfer box, get a blanking plate from C2 motorsport, and also a new flange to go in place of the transfer box....this right?

Am I right in saying that I need both drive shafts from the Golf PD TDI (part No's above)? If so, will these fit into the original vr hubs or can I change these for 4 mo ones as I'm gonna need to buy new hubs of some kind coz mine are knackered! And what's the deal with CV joints etc?

Anyone know of a dummies guide to doing this on a 2wd vr?

Cheers for any help!

Rus.

[/quote']

Bumping this up because I have the same question as above. :)

• 2 months later...