Re-boring 2.8-2.9 and cost?

Hi,

As the title was wondering how much it would cost to have my blocked bored to 2.9 as Ive stripped it and its not in the best of shape so thought I might as well go the whole way!

Also I was going to rebuild it with forged pistons, I take it if I go with the 2.9 bore I can use standard size corrado pistons?

Any help would be great full! Cheers Mike

Ah I thought 2.9 would still have good wall thickness, I will stick with 2.8 but Im sure its going to need a slight overbore maybe 0.5 it has to be reliable for a whole seasons racing!

The whole engine is being rebuilt and upgraded so I can hopefully expect around 700bhp-ish not sure which turbo to go for yet I think a GT35 will be at its limit at this power range!

Might be a better idea to use a 24v head for flow, does an R32 head fit or do you have to use the 2.8 24v head?

Cheers Mike

Mike, speak to c2 motorsports.uk they will point you in the right direction,and they know what there talking about rather than me giving my limited knowledge. 700 bhp needs to be done right the first time . and they can sort your ecu to run your turbo set up.

ps i run a gt35r at around 400hp

carnt you just use a 2.9 corrado bottom end? as said boring out would weaken it to much

my buddy had a 2.8 and a 2.9 block in his garage i will measure the wall thickness on both but im sure they are the exact same block hence the 2.9 bored out slighty

Cor a lot of info cheers guys!

The reason for the rebore is the cylinders are not perfect so I will get away with the smallest bore I can!

The block has done 98k if its the same engine, Im pretty sure its not as when I was taking it out all the plugs had tape and writing on them!

Its hard work trying to learn a new engine, if it was a scooby I wouldnt need to ask all these silly questions!

^^^ you probably would get away with 83mm but it would be safer to keep to 82mm, you get the benefit of fresh bores as well over having drop ins.

tbf you would probably be better of with a gt40 if your aiming 700+ and a little head work with make it easier.

uprated rods are definitely needed along with 630cc injectors. built 02m and it would be pointless without 4 wheel drive

going to be one high spec car :-d im quite jealous

83mm isnt a problem atall. We have tuned to passed 500whp with this bore diameter.

Cool, would I be able to get all bits from you i.e pistons, rods,cams,valves,turbo?

Also what do you think of the omex 720 ecu for VR6 applications?

Cheers Mike

if your pushing 35 psi though a gt40 is the extra 100cc of the 3.0l really going to be of much benefit.

surly it would be more sensible to keep the walls a bit thicker . your not really going to loose much power.

thats why people who build high power 24vs use R32 head on a 2.8 block (24v block) they get the flow of the 32 head but the added strength of the thicker walled block