new ECU for 1994 vr6 - how much is it gonna cost me ?

just fitted a lambda probe to cure high emmissions MOT failure and found out the heated part of the lambda does not work now - no current. I found the lambda probe heater relay does not work so did tests and the earth of the relay coil that goes through the ecu and that has too much resistance ie no proper earth (therefore the relay wont work and no leccy to heater of oxygen senser)

so now I think I need a new ecu (after all the other problems i've had.) It seems its never ending - these cars are a fcking nightmare when they go wrong - mostly concerning the complexities/ difficulties imposed by the crap motronic fuel injection. I wish they had k jetronic then they would be reliable, cheaper and easier to fix. Anyway, has anyone bought one ? Sounds expensive.

i've never driven my car cos of all the problems that needed sorting out (admittedly its not a mk3 and has been bodged up / not maintained / not repaired etc by previous owner)

nope, obd2 would def not work. all the electrics and fuel injection are comletely different.

there may in fact be many different ones as well, you need to get one that has the same part number as yours i would imagine.

(i'm guessin at the second bit, but seems logical to me as there are two different diagnostics plugs on obd1)

[ Edited Sun Feb 22 2004, 10:12PM ]

i know all about them diagnostic connectors as i had to wire them up. that was great fun !!

well apparently the one mines got was the same as all vr6 golfs, passats and probably corrados from 92 (or whenever they were first made) to 94 so there should be a few about. there was one on ebay today - went for 30 notes but I messed up the auction (doh!)

[ Edited Sun Feb 22 2004, 10:23PM ]

funny you should say that - I wired up the two plug DLC - black and white ones becouse I thought mine was a 92 - 93 car. Turns out I should have put the 16 pin plug on as its a 94. The connections are to EXACTLY the same places on all vr6's (white plug to ecu, black plug to fuse box) as i've studied all the wiring diagrams. When the bloke that checked the codes could not get into the ECU with year'94' he tried putting year '92' and it worked and got codes, well 1 code - lambda probe faulty. Now my ECU seems not to work properly although the car still runs ok - just really rich, but i think it was not working before - I suspect the ECU was not running the lambda probe (connections to this come off the ECU).

I may have damaged it by removing a senser with the ignition on - but of course that may have happened before during the conversion. Its never run properly.