• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

may want to look at holset hx35

- i looked into them a while ago, i think it would probably suit the vr engine a little better than the hx40 as by the time you make some proper boost you would not really have enough of a rev range left to sustain it and enjoy it

GS Racing sell Holset hybrid turbo at very reasonable prices, few people on driftworks have used thier hx35 on 2.0L 200sx's with good results so with the right size exhaust housing I think the hx40 would work well on the VR.

they both have good and bad points it depends what you want i like them both

the hx35 12cm was nice for cruiseing around getting into boost quicker with no lag i have stock cams and it used to choke the hotside at 6900rpm and good for upto 400whp with no traction..3rd used to start gripping somtimes depending on road surface it is a stock gearbox 3rd gear killer it gives loads of low end torque and power comes on fast

the hx40 14cm was laggyier for normal driving around i preffered the hx35 ...it pulled hard to the 7300rpm revlimit id set... the lag used to act as traction control and power comes on smoother gearboxs last longer and makes more hp than the hx35

the hx40 14cm was laggyier for normal driving around i preffered the hx35 ...it pulled hard to the 7300rpm revlimit id set... the lag used to act as traction control and power comes on smoother gearboxs last longer and makes more hp than the hx35

That's one reason why I swapped the GT30 for a GT35. The 30 was boosting too soon and the wheelspin just slows you down. Better to have 'lag' as at least you're moving faster than spinning. 35R appears to be half way between the HX35 and HX40 from what you've said, which is ideal for me.

I think the 12cm2 is .87 A/R and the 14cm2 is 1.01 A/R, what kinda rpm are people with 35Rs seeing full boost? Just too compare. I'd been looking at the hx40 with a 14cm2 housing but if its bigger than the 35R and with a bigger exhaust housing it might be a bit too laggy, would a hx35 with 14cm2 be a better option, bit closer to the garrett?

I think the 12cm2 is .87 A/R and the 14cm2 is 1.01 A/R' date=' what kinda rpm are people with 35Rs seeing full boost? Just too compare. I'd been looking at the hx40 with a 14cm2 housing but if its bigger than the 35R and with a bigger exhaust housing it might be a bit too laggy, would a hx35 with 14cm2 be a better option, bit closer to the garrett?

[/quote']

0.86 35R - Foot to the floor from 1500rpm in 3rd gear - 3psi at 2500rpm, 8 psi at 3000rpm, full boost (15psi) by 3500 rpm. That's with 2.5" exhaust and 3" cat convertor.

what i found quite likable about the stealth t04s hybrid was its ability that power output at quite a low level of boost (9psi if i remember correctly)

with the rhd drive turbo mani's available (spa or atp), neither come with a divided inlet entrance, so the obvious choice on the turbo hot side would be to have an undivided t4 hot side....

- or is thee any benefit of having a divided turbo hot side in combination with those exhaust manifolds mentioned?

what i found quite likable about the stealth t04s hybrid was its ability that power output at quite a low level of boost (9psi if i remember correctly)

with the rhd drive turbo mani's available (spa or atp)' date=' neither come with a divided inlet entrance, so the obvious choice on the turbo hot side would be to have an undivided t4 hot side....

- or is thee any benefit of having a divided turbo hot side in combination with those exhaust manifolds mentioned?

[/quote']

Yeah their turbo has good flow. I think the AR is 0.78, which is about right for a T4 on a VR imo.

Divided only gives the full benefit if the manifold is divided into two banks of 3 too. Putting a divided turbo onto a 6 into 1 manifold won't really give any benefit imo. Some folk like to run twin wastegates on their divided setups, one for each bank of 3 :-) The pipework one of those is Cheryl Tweedy, it would get it, LOL! :-)

3500 was what I was aiming for' date=' a power band as close to standard as possible but with more power, you guys arnt 2.8 anymore are you? 2.9 or 3L going by your pistons. [/quote']

Yeah retaining the stock power band and full boost at 3500 is spot on imo :-) Excessive spin below that is just a waste of fuel, tyres and dignity :-)

with the rhd drive turbo mani's available (spa or atp)' date=' neither come with a divided inlet entrance, so the obvious choice on the turbo hot side would be to have an undivided t4 hot side....

[/quote']

Yeah their turbo has good flow. I think the AR is 0.78, which is about right for a T4 on a VR imo.

Divided only gives the full benefit if the manifold is divided into two banks of 3 too. Putting a divided turbo onto a 6 into 1 manifold won't really give any benefit imo. Some folk like to run twin wastegates on their divided setups, one for each bank of 3 :-) The pipework one of those is Cheryl Tweedy, it would get it, LOL! :-)

3500 was what I was aiming for' date=' a power band as close to standard as possible but with more power, you guys arnt 2.8 anymore are you? 2.9 or 3L going by your pistons. [/quote']

Yeah retaining the stock power band and full boost at 3500 is spot on imo :-) Excessive spin below that is just a waste of fuel, tyres and dignity :-)

oh gosh (l) little cheryl!! - she can ride shotgun anyday, (even if she poops her little pants in the vr turbo)

anyone had any experience with these: (german ebay gt35/40 replica item)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330414398044&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2498wt_939

the guys seems to sell a lot of vr6/r32 turbo items and the quality on most of them seem pretty decent to be honest, but it would be nice to know the thoughts of someone with first hand experience as ebay isn't "always" full of crap