• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man after driving the VR on sunday its so much more involving than the A3, in that it really just drives to your destination, in the VR you do a whole lot more driving, its much more fun. Old skool.

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I ch

Yes mostly expensive downs, look on the bright side, when you've replaced everything it'll be pretty much a brand new car as a sum of it's parts, then hopefully a good few years of trouble free (ish)

No I havent, my Vrs been parked up for quite a while living undercover so hasnt been out too much no, mostly its just gone from home to hornbeam and back again, not many rados round here either, didnt realise you were from harrogate too mate. I dont think ive seen yours about, Id remember the black wheels.

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed yesterday when backing up to a pane of glass that my brake lights weren't coming on!! How the hell long this has been going on for I don't know!?

I chased the fault and everything seemed fine so was puzzled.

Then I disconnected the brake pedal switch and put it back together and brake lights again. Wtf?

At least they're all working now, though I do have brake light OCD now and am checking them in the reflections of all cars and busses behind me lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the rear ABS sensors today, went with genuine as I had problems with the A3 with non genuine sensors so ended up costing more in the end. It fought me every step of the way, none of the rear stuff has ever been off in my time with it and every single nut and bolt was seized massively, took ages to just get everything unseized.

The sensors were also rammed fast in the holes and had to be smashed to even get them out, I cleaned the holes with the dremel so the new ones fit snug but it was actually possible to get them in!

It took ages because of this and also had to go get some new cotter pins, the ones on there snapped when I took them off. One sensor was cracked and the other was nearly totally split. Then while it was all off regreased the bearings an reset the wheel bearing lash according to the book and the wheels spin better now too, I noticed they also had a tiny click of play back and forward and after I did it to the book there's no play any more.

The abs rings looked fine too, I should think the abs errors were due to metallic particles getting in the cracks in the sensors cos they are magnetic and they would have messed up the readings.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong for a good while, but if I do need to have it all off again it should be much better as all bolt threads have a good coat of copper grease on them.

Edited by Lukey.
  • 1 month later...

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I checked over the full system looking for leaks and found none, all was good so checked the pump itself.

With my finger over the outlet the pump would still run on and on, so the pump itself wasnt making a good seal somewhere. Took it to bits and there are 4 little pieces of plastic or carbon or whatever that sit in grooves inside the centre of the pump, which the chamber is egg shaped and these pieces are flung out centrifugally. They werent dead flat to the outside surface!

Some fine tuning of these mating surfaces later they all now are matched to the surface they touch when the pump is spinning, the pump activates with a good powerful sound, not a slow groan, and as soon as the doors are locked/unlocked shuts off immediately now.

So to anyone that has a similar problem and the culprit isnt in the vac pipes this could be worth a go at a free fix.

I checked with a view to replacing at first and their current price is £265 from VW!!! My fix was free!!! Yay

Edited by Lukey.
  • 1 month later...

As well as the obligatory wash n wax today was oil change day

Oil change first

IMG_0074_zpsa6b57066.jpg

The sump was looking a bit bad as I'd scraped it a few times in the year, so another good blathering of hammerite, looking nicer

IMG_0076_zps035d5280.jpg

Other than that everything is still looking lovely and clean from a whole year ago when i cleaned and repainted everything

Edited by Lukey.

First time I read this from start to finish! I remember when I just bought my VR last year reading some of this as I was coming back up to Scotland and then my phone died. When my friends mention they have a minor problem I tell them how there is this guy with a VR who treats it better then they treat their girlfriends :P Haha.

Truly amazing work you've done with the car and I envy all your skills!