Pretty annoyed tonight, noticed a little bit of coolant loss so hunted around for pink powder and found some on a heater matrix pipe, I just touched it and boom the take-off snaps completely off.

I hadn't gone far but the after run pump was on and the system was pressurised, so it spat hot-ish coolant all over me and about 15 foot down the drive.

IMG_0499_zpsbcbf930d.jpg

Here is the plastic pipe, still in the hose

IMG_0500_zps4778f3ac.jpg

There was lots more pink residue but it must have washed off in the explosion

IMG_0501_zps70277d42.jpg

IMG_0502_zps1a35f1cc.jpg

Heater matrix ordered from TPS at a cost of £140 :o Not to mention the many hour dash out job I now have to do crying.gif

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man after driving the VR on sunday its so much more involving than the A3, in that it really just drives to your destination, in the VR you do a whole lot more driving, its much more fun. Old skool.

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I ch

Yes mostly expensive downs, look on the bright side, when you've replaced everything it'll be pretty much a brand new car as a sum of it's parts, then hopefully a good few years of trouble free (ish)

That's what I thought, but no that seems the going rate now, as is the cost of a simple brake fluid change, £25 last time I checked in November, now cheapest is £40, but cant do brake fluid by myself and as brakes are a little bit important I will bite the bullet.

Its a genuine part, I know you can get a budget part but I thought about the £20sum item and thought I'm not prepared to take the interior out more than once and hopefully the new item will last as long as the original part.

Made a start tonight on the inside, I think I've got it pretty much stripped bare now, just gotta make the push tomorrow hopefully and get the thing out.

IMG_0508_zpsd0ede574.jpg

Got the new genuine part waiting to go back in and an undetermined amount of coolant to top up with. God I tell you the cost of this little bastard is making me fume!!

IMG_0509_zps04703116.jpg

Seems we're on G13 now, easier to ask for than G12plusplus.

IMG_0512_zps42a2168d.jpg

And apparently this is German for fuel filter.

IMG_0513_zpsbcfd2b9c.jpg

I've soldered 2 super white LEDs to the light tracks for the normal bulbs on the top of the dial casing and removed the green film. I'll probably try and bend the bulbs towards the centres more, they are pointing at like 5 and 7 o'clock at the moment.

hehe yea ive tried to be organised and have the bits in pots for each section, having trouble with the firewall bolt next to the abs unit, its spinning and rusted up tight, ill give it a soak in WD40 and hold the thread in vice grips but if all fails I'm gonna have to try and dremel the nut off, atm im trying to see if you can get replacement nuts and bolts for this position.

Just found out you can so im just gonna dremel it off, it clearly isnt salvageable anyway.

Always good to be organized, my garage has parts everywhere from whipping out engine yesterday!

Sometimes its better to cut your losses and cut it out and then go from there :)

There's always a way of getting it back together, but its surprising what bits you can get from VW still !

Ive got the double ended screw ordered and 3 of the rubber sealed captive nuts for all 3.

Finally got the bugger out!!

IMG_0522_zps79172828.jpg

And as you can see it was also leaking

IMG_0521_zps0e1779a2.jpg

I cant really do a lot more with it now apart from try and reassemble the heater box, as I need to put this little screw in that Ill get from VW tomorrow. Im going to try and tidy up, re foam and secure the wiring looms and also foam pack the dash and vent channels and the foams on the vent covers that has degraded and fallen to bits. I want no creaks or rattles!!

Picked up the required bolt and nuts this morning and the new matrix is now in place and coolant topped back up with fresh, car run up to open the thermostat and the fans kick in, no leaks, no coolant smell (after it had burned off all of the engine etc, it smelt sickly as hell).

I took the opportunity to tidy the cabling up, I've re organised it to all run below the dash, not fastened to it like it was to minimise rattles and re foamed and zip tied up anything that needed it, all the heater box foams disintegrated when it came to pieces.

IMG_0525_zpsfd4b4f82.jpg

IMG_0526_zpsebc77b5f.jpg

Replaced the rubbers that came with the Bonrath intake for ASH silicone today as the rubber had finally given up an split.

IMG_0527_zps6ee2b27e.jpg

Took a fair bit of fettling into place so it didn't foul on the suspension tower, I've tested it too by revving the engine so it bucks around, no contact.

IMG_0529_zpsc930723c.jpg

IMG_0528_zps8f8d8851.jpg

The catch tank is doing its job well, after about 3 years there was no oil in the intake.

Cleaned my leather steering heel today with auto glym leather cleaner then their leather care cream. I chose this one because I read it doesn't leave a greasy residue. It's 9 years old and went a bit hard and shiny and slippy, the products have brought it back an it looks and feels like new now, much softer and more grippy, should have done it ages ago. It did leave a tiny bit of a hand cream feel but after buffing it up a few times over the course of 48 hours as per instructions that has gone now.