Had my vr6 3 days and the timing chains just f'**kin snapped. Luckily I was at a garage looking to get a few things tidyied up. Any ideas on what I should be looking at money wise? Im thinking approx £600, also was thinking this could be a good opportunity to do a few wee cheeky mods at the same time, any ideas or advice would be much appreciated . Cheers

if the chains broke while running,then i think more damage will be done as the chains control the cams then valves ,so what was controlling the timing of the valves when the chain broke ? nothing !. i would think of a replacement lump, they go for £200 on ebay with chains all timed. just drop in . £600 is too much money.

It was a bit rough when i started it but i put it down to the cold, im no mechanic so im pleading ignorance. The mechanic reckons my only saving grace is that it happened as i tried to start the car, it wasnt actually running at the time. Hes stripping it down tomorrow so i'll know what the damage is then, cheers for the advice

Timing chains dont snap often, its rare, its adviced to change at 100k, or if you are getting chain rattle, or if the guides have worn - There are various sound clips on the site of chain rattle and guides in the premium members section for checking the condition, we advise to check out the buyers guide on here before making a purchase, which checking for chain rattle is one point to look out for - how many miles has the car done?

unfortunatly, when they let go, I'd expect to see some bent valves, and possibly other damage. unfortunatly, its a big job, gearbox out, while your there, i'd think about doing head gasket and clutch, as well as upgrading to the mk4 poly guides etc..

hopefully its not done to much damage. keep us updated - might be worth while searching on the forum for broken timing chains - there have been a few posts, so you know what to expect ;)

Pete

My chains needed doing at about 93k on my R reg mk3.

Dear Pete,

Thank you for your response on timing chains. I have a few questions perhaps you can answer. Sometimes the badging in South Africa is different to the UK, so

1) we got the Sharan VR6 which, as far as I can make out, was the 2 valve per cyl engine and then the V6 Sharan which is the multivalve engine. Apart from the cyl heads are there any other differences?

2) I understand when you have the gearbox out to do the chains it makes sense to do the clutch, but why did you suggest changing the cylinder head gasket?

3) You also said upgrading to the Mk4 Poly guides. How do I find out about this modification? Can I just go to VW and ask for the parts?

4) I read a lot of the comments on various threads about the timing chains and listened to the clips and I think my chain is rattling, but I need to get my engine to start again to listen more carefully.

5) My motor has stopped and the VAG COM codes are 16725 (G40) and 16730 (G163) camshaft position sensor, implausible signal. I have now found via erWin how to test these sensors and the wiring and I found on one of the websites how to clean them. If you have any advice on this it would be appreciated. I did post a thread on this but I think I posted it in the wrong place.

Thanks for the help.

Alan*-)

Dear Pete,

On erWin I found how to test the Hall sensors and they appear to be OK.

I then reset the Vagcom fault codes and turned the motor over again to see what fault codes came up. I got the same codes for the 2 cam sensors.

Whilst I was turning it over it (a) sounded like it backfire a few times and (B) like there was no compression. So I ran a compression test. Ooops the pressures from 1cyl 1 to 6 are 50, 75, 70, 50 48 and 75 P.S.I. respectively.

My guess is that the timing chain has jumpes a few teeth. Your thoughts or comment please.

I now need to take the cam cover off which is not so easy on the Sharan, the motor sits half under the dashboard and you have to take the front bumper off so I can physically check the camshaft timing.

I am open to comments and suggestions from anyone.

Thanks

Alan