Stealth Racing Turbo Kit discussion

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv had an exciting week. It's back. Had a call from stealth last Friday to say it's ready. I rushed down and picked it up on the sat. When I got there Vince and John showed me around the car exp

It is absolutely brilliant! Still using any excuse just to go out and drive the thing some blurb and pics: For the benefit of some who asked about the stealth turbo: Firtly, I must say the level o

Here are some pictures of the pipework. http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i129/cactusjackslade/ijpg

Posted Images

Kit details:

When Stealth set about this VR6 Turbo project we set out a certain criteria that we wanted to meet, all the boxes needed to be ticked before launching the kit.

1: Air filter / Intake to be mounted on same side as OEM, negating the need to relocate battery into the boot. I’ve seen some kits that have the cone filter mounted directly behind the radiator ie: not relocating the battery, all that hot air, madness in my opinion.

Our Intake sits on the O/S, so this box is ticked;-)

2: The turbo kit had to incorporate the stock intake manifold negating the need for short runner intakes as these invariably need slimline radiator fans as there is no room for the stock fans. 2 Advantages to this requirement, firstly better torque from the stock intake and secondly and importantly no additional expense. Box is ticked

3: For Corrado’s. A good sized Intercooler needed to be fitted but without affecting the exterior look of the car. I am really glad to say this box is also ticked;-)

4: Target BHP for our Stage 1 would be at least 350bhp.. Target achieved my Corrado has made 360bhp with 9psi boost. Box Ticked;-)

5: Size the turbo correctly for what we believe to be the best compromise. By this I mean not boosting to early and putting undue strain on transmission components and not being too laggy and turning your VR6 into a slow boosting then almighty kick in the backside Sierra Cosworth. Box Ticked;-)

6: We feel 360ish bhp is a very safe figure for stock internals with a head spacer, however if our customers decide on an engine upgrade at a later date then our turbo kit would need to also meet these requirements. In other words with the correct mechanicals this kit should do (Stage 2) 440bhp. We will look at stage 3 another day. So no wasted money in what you have already spent. Box Ticked;-)

7: OEM ECU to be retained using our own in house tuned and tested software. Box Ticked;-)

Below you will find the spec and list of parts included in our Stage 1 intro kit.

T04s Turbo – 0.70 Cold. 0.68 Hot.

4” Intake.

3” V-Band exhaust outlet.

We then send this to CR Turbo’s in the UK who upgrade with Garrett 360 degree bearings and seals.

SPA T4 Turbo manifold.

38mm Wastegate. Stainless 38mm Wastegate connecting elbow.

4” Intake pipe and where applicable built in MAF housing for hot film sensors.

ISV take offs and crankcase recirc as required.

4” 45 degree Silicone Elbow.

Turbo Oil feed and return Lines. Sump Gasket.

Front mounted Intercooler

Intercooler connecting pipes with rolled lip edges, all required silicone connections

(various sizes) with max grip clamps.

Custom built 3” downpipe which is then V-Banded to your existing exhaust or if this is not suitable then we offer custom built exhausts in house as an option.

6 x 440cc Injectors.

6 x Spark Plugs

Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Coolant.

Closed loop Dump Valve with pick up and return connections.

2mm Steel Spacer with OEM Steel gaskets for either side.

ARP Steel Head Bolt Set.

JR Cone Air Filter

Custom Tuned software with Rolling road power graphs.

All in all the above mentioned Kit comes installed at £4400 inc VAT.

To give you some comparison this is about the same amount we charged for the last Stage 2 Supercharger kit we installed.

For the moment all kits to be installed in our workshop. We will try and cater for DIY later on but I have no dates at present.

A few things to consider

1: This is an Intro kit which can be tweaked to individual requirements as necessary if required? and the price adjusted accordingly.

2: Think about a decent clutch kit, We generally use Helix Clutches. Helix clutch kit price is £375 inc vat. We are looking for a cheaper alternative at the moment, maybe Clutch Masters or similar, we are even happy if you supply your own. Either way Installation labour will be £211.50 inc Vat.

3: Fuel Pump…..

Golf OBD2 owners this is a must as you only have a 3 bar pump as standard.

Corrado and Golf OBD1 owners you have a 4 bar pump and if it is in tip top condition you can probably? just about get away with it. My Corrado has the OEM pump still in it and it holds pressure beautifully at high demad.. Well for now anyway, I am sure it will give up the ghost soon. We can supply and fit a suitable Walbro replacement pump at £160.30 inc Vat

4: Insurance, shop around before making any final decisions. Some insurance companies have BHP categories so if they quote you sensible premiums on say 325bhp and not so sensible on anything over 325bhp. If you prefer we can lower the boost and retune to a lower figure as required. It is up to we are totally flexible.

5: ARP Conrod bolts are a good investment and good insurance for your motor.

We can fit these at time of install for £164.50 inc vat.

6: Blimey I almost forgot Brakes! Yes you need em, good ones!

I'm liking it :)

£4400 for stage 1' date=' what will be the price for stage 2?

And what is the turn around time?

Seriously interested in this, roll on 16 hour work shifts and overtime :-p

[/quote']

Stage 2 will require further engine mods, pistons, rods etc... best thing is to call me and we can go through some specs and I can work out prices for you..

We are currently working on a Stage 1 Intro Plus for an OBD2 Golf VR6, this car will have slighlty different spec turbo, ARP rod bolts, SP263 cams. For now still retaining the headspacer boost tweaked to break 400bhp.. I will let you know how it turns out when it finished

Vince

Will you be offering individual parts i.e just the exhaust manifold or will it only be available as a kit?

Not really thought about this but I suppose it is possible....?

Best to call me to discuss requirements

Vince

Be really usueful if you are willing to do this as i've (and i'm sure many people on here also at various stages with theirs) have slowly been aquiring parts over the last 12 months as and when i've had spare cash and still have a few missing bits (damn this house buying lark!)

Will you be offering individual parts i.e just the exhaust manifold or will it only be available as a kit?

Vince

Be really usueful if you are willing to do this as i've (and i'm sure many people on here also at various stages with theirs) have slowly been aquiring parts over the last 12 months as and when i've had spare cash and still have a few missing bits (damn this house buying lark!)

Same boat...

/\ likewise, LOL!

The stock intake can be used because of the SPA turbo exhaust manifold. It mounts the turbo nice and low, which can only be a good thing in terms of weight distribution too?

I've seen the SPA manifold on Vince's car and it's nothing like the pieces of crap I was sold from IBIVR on here. It's the real deal :-)

Short runners are OK and easier for boost plumbing, but that would add a lot of extra cost to the kit and you also lose some torque around 3000rpm.

Vince

OK guys tell you what.... if you guys choose to run my software when you get your cars up and running then I will hepl out where I can, parts, advice, agony aunt (uncle) etc.. :)

How about that?

OK guys tell you what.... if you guys choose to run my software when you get your cars up and running then I will hepl out where I can, parts, advice, agony aunt (uncle) etc.. :)

How about that?

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together!

lol made my mind up. Realisticly how long would you expect the standard gearbox to last at 360bhp thats only thing im concerned about at the mo. Suppose i could allways get a r32 box fitted first.

alot of that will depend on the spec of the turbo. something that spools up quicker will land the torque in the lower gears which will make the power harder to put down and likely cause damage quicker

something that spools up later will make the power more managable and youll already be rolling at a decent speed when the power really comes in

also im trying to get some numbers together for a group buy on wavetrac diff's on the corrado forum ;)

OK guys tell you what.... if you guys choose to run my software when you get your cars up and running then I will hepl out where I can' date=' parts, advice, agony aunt (uncle) etc.. :)

How about that?

[/quote']

Can't say fairer than that guys. He's been my 'Uncle Vince' for 10 years now and kept me sane!! :-)

alot of that will depend on the spec of the turbo. something that spools up quicker will land the torque in the lower gears which will make the power harder to put down and likely cause damage quicker

something that spools up later will make the power more managable and youll already be rolling at a decent speed when the power really comes in

also im trying to get some numbers together for a group buy on wavetrac diff's on the corrado forum ;)

Bear in mind a diff puts strain back into the box again (where it would normally spin away harmlessly) so you need a little mechanical sympathy when nailing the gas pedal, and pay attention to the road surface. Boosting over rough, uneven roads can cause sudden loss and regaining of grip, which is what tends to bust things......and also aggressive launching in the dry! I guess an uprated clutch with just a little slip in it can also help take some strain off the box.

The O2M conversion is a wise move for Stage 2 and above in my opinion. I'm hoping to work on that with Vince's help in the near future. Ideally you need a 4motion 02M as it has the speedo worm drive. R32s pick up road speed from the ABS sensors.