rotten arches.....gutted!

Hi guys, i just wondered if i could pick yer grey matter?? i was debating taking off the plastic arch trims off my vr, as most members have said its a great improvement, so i made the decision to have a butchers. When i took the rear ones off i also pulled away my arches!!! Yeah you heard right, they actually came away when i lightly tugged on the plastic. the rot is quit extensive, but is only up to the the height of the plastic trim......SO, i managed to get the trims back on and now you cant see the rot. My question is, do i cut the rot away, rust treat the affected area then waxyoil the whole area as the rot is only around the inside of the plastic trim, or do i wait til the weather gets better, save some cash and have new arches welded in? obviously if i had the cash i would have new arches and have them sprayed, but thats not the case at the mo. oh, the front aches are sound, no rot under the trims!! *-)

had the same problem i could see inside the car they where that bad! considering breaking the car now!

thats a shame, i wouldn't want to break mine, i like it too much, even tho its far from perfect i still reckon it has potential.

i just found a few big rusty holes on the underneath of the car on the floor pan, just on the curve as it goes into the bulkhead! gutted....but at least i know where the water is coming ftom under my carpets! bad thing is, its on the passenger and driver side.......car runs great tho, so i suppose i shouldnt complain!! ha ha.

Gonna get it welded 2moz, so i'll keep and post of the progress.

ok guys heres the progress......just been to my local mot garage and they inspected the underneath of the car, and they said there is NO WAY it should have passed the MOT!

They suspect its a dodgy MOT. the floor pan is rotten to the sills, the lower part of the bulkhead is rotten, and its rotten round the seatbelt anchorage and suspension components. Its repairable but to the tune of £400. They advised to contact the garage who motted it only in december '09, and ask if they'll coff up for the repair or my garage said they'll contact VOSA and report it which results in the garage been struck off from MOTs and them coffing up anyway. How can this go on? i mean, i know times are hard these days, but things like this make me sick!

no its reallllllly pissed me off. i took all the carpets out today and you can see the floor outside in afew places. im just going to see what the garage say in the morning about getting it done for nothing, if they kick up a fuss im going to get vosa involved. i'll keep you posted!

Looks like it's time for you to learn how to weld. VW's are built so well that rust is not usually a problem of sorts but other marks rot at a rapid rate. All the repairs you mention are achievable and not too difficult if you go about them systematically.

I reshelled my in that state.. well tbf wasn't as bad as that. £600 for a CL job done.. problem is its never a true VR6 for selling it.

and even my new shells had a little bit of rust on the floor pan.. all sorted now though.

You got to look REALLY close to find it on a mk3 as in take carpets out and shit... which you can't do when you go buy a car.

Got a brand new rear quarter panel and weld in arch for the other side.. was going to repair mine.. you can have them CHEEP if you want.. want to get rid of them

I reshelled my in that state.. well tbf wasn't as bad as that. £600 for a CL job done.. problem is its never a true VR6 for selling it.

and even my new shells had a little bit of rust on the floor pan.. all sorted now though.

You got to look REALLY close to find it on a mk3 as in take carpets out and shit... which you can't do when you go buy a car.

Got a brand new rear quarter panel and weld in arch for the other side.. was going to repair mine.. you can have them CHEEP if you want.. want to get rid of them

Hiya Bodge, i think i wont reshell, i cant be arsed with all the hassle really, as this is my daily driver i'd be stuck to get to work if its out of action too long. How much are you wanting for the weld in arch?? are you near me at all??? you anywhere in Tamworth?

Looks like it's time for you to learn how to weld. VW's are built so well that rust is not usually a problem of sorts but other marks rot at a rapid rate. All the repairs you mention are achievable and not too difficult if you go about them systematically.

My mechanic said that it wasnt beyond repair, but its gonna cost abit to do. its a shame really cuz this is the only thing letting the car down...it drives really nice, and im getting good mpg. this rust has just damped the excitement in owning it at the moment, so hopefully once its sorted i can get to enjoying it again!

Well guys, i have a VOSA official inspector coming to look at the car on Thursday at 8.30am at midland vw near me. They said judging by the pictures i sent them, the car will be failed instantly! I have been told by trading standards that they will pursue a case to try and claim some money back to pay for the repairs and get me a LIGIT MOT either off the garage or the guy ii had the car off, who, incidently, knows the guys at the dodgy garage! fingers crossed, it'll all be ok soon.

I can't see the garage paying up but they will definitely get closed down. As for the previous owner don't bank on him paying up. Was it a private sale or from a garage? If it was private there is no warranty so he won't be liable really. Also if he had a new MOT to sell the car he will say it was road worthy. Both may argue that they didn't cause the rust so can't be blamed.

I only payed £400 for my VR and it has let me down but nothing major. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

I can't see the garage paying up but they will definitely get closed down. As for the previous owner don't bank on him paying up. Was it a private sale or from a garage? If it was private there is no warranty so he won't be liable really. Also if he had a new MOT to sell the car he will say it was road worthy. Both may argue that they didn't cause the rust so can't be blamed.

I only payed £400 for my VR and it has let me down but nothing major. Hope you didn't pay too much for it.

I paid £1000! now i am really disheartened. I gathered there will be no comeback on the the seller, and i gathered i'd have to fork out for the repairs, so if thats the case i really do hope the garage do get closed down! I've had my daughter in this 'death trap', so they will get what they deserve........hopefully:@

hi people! Well VOSA came and inspected the car and the guy who originally inspected it had to attend too. They basically struck him off for the amount of stuff he didnt fail the car on. They said the car isnt as bad as they initially thought and said it was completely repairable, so the vr is in the workshop as we speak being welded up by a guy who is really good at welding, so fingers crossed i'll have the ol'girl back on saturday! there were afew advisories i have to sort too, like the defective spare wheel, and pitted rear discs, but i can sort these out at a later date. Cant wait to get her back now!!!!

• 2 weeks later...