Hi,

I drove for about 45 mins in the snow today and alot around quite roads where it was very icy. My ABS and traction control where contantly in use. I noticed everytime my traction control kicked in, there was a burning smell afterwards. Any ideas what the smell was?

thanks

My ABS / traction control has been on loads aswell but have no rubber smell. Maybe the primitive traction control is not doing that great a job and the rubber smell is your tyres spinning ?

Last time I smelt burning rubber was swiftly followed by a large helping of torque steer and whiplash :)

Could it be the relay in the footwell that pulses really fast to activate the pump?

Have a sniff in the footwell! :D

this sounds more like what it could be because the tyres spinning in snow wouldn't burn. How would the relay pulsing really fast cause the smell?

a relay is basically a coil of wire, which acts like a magnet to put on a bigger power circuit

If your traction control or ABS been used in a while which is most likely being dry and not icy until recently, now it's using the relay everytime it comes on.

Think of it like it's like using a fan heater after it's been stored for a while. When it gets used for the 1st time it will stink.

If the smell stops it could just have been it was a stuck inside due to lack of use and now the coil is getting hot which is will and it might be getting hotter than It should.

Not sure which relay it is, but might be worth replacing it.