MK3 golf front spoiler

Hi,

i'm new to the forum and was looking to get some advice.

I have a MK3 golf VR6 in what i believe is Mystic Blue.

I noticed today that half of my front spolier/splitter has come off (possibly from a speed bump?). The thing is, the spoiler is colour coded with the rest of the paintwork and i have looked everywhere online and it appear you can only get replacements in black rubber.

I have a feeling the car had a respray somewhere down the line and i'm wondering that the owner at the time had a custom spoiler fitted and then sprayed??

I'd really like to keep the same type of spoiler so wanted to ask whether you guys know how and where i can pick something like this up.

I can post some pics if it helps.

cheers Tim

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

Yep, a previous owner has had it sprayed. Standard they are all black.

Note: early VRs came with a 'deep chin' spoiler, about 4" wide with a lip, and later ones came with the smaller, flat, one off the GTi. They are interchangable.

GPC do good prices on genuine trim VW parts, details in address book, or else Eurocar parts and German Swedish and French sell after market spoilers of varying quality.

Oh, there is also a vortex body kit which had a different spoiler altogether and is like rocking horse shit to find.

Did you get the car from Kent, off a bloke called Mark?

Cheers for the reply! Sorry didn't get back sooner, had trouble getting the other half of the spoiler off, what with all the snow!

I actually bought it off a friend of mine. He's a VW enthusiast and owns a company called storm motorworks which provides chips for golfs. I'm only the third owner, its done about 73000 miles and is an absolute beast when you want it to be ha ha

Anyhow on to the splitter. I've attached some pics. The guy definitely had it sprayed as underneath the spray job is like a mottled black plastic. Whatsmore, it also seems like it has been attached to part of the panel under the wheelarch as i had to unscrew two screws under the arch to remove it completely. From the photos you will see it looks like they have used a crudely cut piece of plastic to attach it? I don't know a lot but i'm sure that's a bit of a bodge job.

Also i can now see how the other side came off, as the screws on the other side are still intact on the panel by the wheel. So it looks like it was either neither attached properly and when it worked loose around the front bumper (i noticed it coming away last summer) it just simply fell off, or when it worked loose it was torn off by the speed bump.

spoiler1.jpg

spoiler2.jpg

spoiler3.jpg

What i'd really like to know from the pics is whether it is

a) a VR6 or GTI spoiler. I think its probably a GTI 'deep chin'.

B) Can anyone identify that colour? I've looked in the boot for the supposed sticker that has the bodywork colour code but i cannot find it.

c) I'd really like to keep the colour coded spoiler - what do you think the chances are of picking one up at a VW salvage yard? How much do you reckon it will cost to get a plastic one sprayed?

Thanks again for all your help. All this has made me want to get into getting the car looking top notch again.

Yep, a previous owner has had it sprayed. Standard they are all black.

Note: early VRs came with a 'deep chin' spoiler, about 4" wide with a lip, and later ones came with the smaller, flat, one off the GTi. They are interchangable.

GPC do good prices on genuine trim VW parts, details in address book, or else Eurocar parts and German Swedish and French sell after market spoilers of varying quality.

Oh, there is also a vortex body kit which had a different spoiler altogether and is like rocking horse **** to find.

Did you get the car from Kent, off a bloke called Mark?

What i'd really like to know from the pics is whether it is

a) a VR6 or GTI spoiler. I think its probably a GTI 'deep chin'.

Its a later standard VR6 splitter' date=' i had one on mine originally but changed it for the deep chin one.... [/b']

B) Can anyone identify that colour? I've looked in the boot for the supposed sticker that has the bodywork colour code but i cannot find it.

The colour looks mystic blue.... the code is in the boot under the carpet near the spare wheel.... if its mystic blue it will be LC5L

c) I'd really like to keep the colour coded spoiler - what do you think the chances are of picking one up at a VW salvage yard? How much do you reckon it will cost to get a plastic one sprayed?

You can get that exact splitter from ebay nice n cheap, just cant see one on there at the mo, or i have put a link to the deep chin one as that is the one most go for... also cheap...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-Golf-MK3-3-GTI-Vento-VR6-Front-Bumper-Spoiler-GT-Lip_W0QQitemZ400089229646QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5d272d294e

There you go, forgot to include those ones!! oops!!

You can get the deep chin ones off ebay for about 25 delivered, i have one, which has been on 11 months and iv just about ruined it so will need replacing, they are fine if you dont scrape everywhere, but if you do then best to go with genuine VW ones, but i believe they are about 30 a side... :)

Cheers for all the info fellas. Looks like i have the VR6 one with the lip at each side, but i'm gonna go for the deep chin one - it looks way better in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that the colour code is Mystic Blue. I'll have another root around in the boot see if i can find the colour code sticker.

Anyone know how much a spray job on a front spoiler would be?

cheers again Tim

I would think you can get some helpful guy to do that for under 100... i paid 25 for my pot of paint, then gave it to some spray shop who charged about 25 to paint my debadged grille....

But to be honest mate i wouldnt bother, cuz you will scrape it and catch it on things and no doubt just ruin the paint job, where as the black ones it goes more unnoticed... and i think they still look good... my sig pic is of my mystic blue vr with the black splitter i sent to you in the ebay link, from those exact people... i think it looks good! :):P

But if you've got the money and you wanna do it then go for it!! :)

haha, no worries mate!! :)

you could always run it with the black one for a while and if you still wanna paint it then do it, but you might like it how it comes... the ebay ones are more than good enough as long as you arent scraping everywhere... lol, then you may have to do what i do and have a winter one and a summer one... my winter one is cracked n scraped up, then ill put a new one on when show season comes. :)