Need a bit of advice...

I've been caught out and last year ended up paying a 10month policy.. which this year nobody will accept as me having 2 years NCB with only having licence 1 year 10 months.

If I was to renew the policy I have now and cancel after 2 months, how much would it cost?

I'm with bell at the moment and it says it's £50 admin fee's to cancel. If I was to pay monthly, can I just pay for 2 months and tell them I want it cancelling at the end of the 2nd month and not pay anymore than the £50 admin fee's?

Any info will be a great help.

Thanks

Joe

is your quote for 2 years ncb alot cheaper than your current one at the moment or something mate? If not id just stick with that for the year. But i think cancelling wise, it depends on who owes who. if you pay for say 3 months and cancel after 2 and a half then you will just pay the admin fee, if its the other way around then obviously you owe them for the full month, even if you are a couple of days over..... think thats right, sure others will say aswel

the figures might seem high to you but I'm only 19 so bare with me...

For a 10 month policy again 3rd PF+T is £1500 in one payment or £1900 over the months..

If I do a quote as if I have 2 years NCB and held licence for 2 years too it's £1400 full comp.

I want to get myself out this mess with the 2 months behind malarky as soon as possible otherwise i'll just be 4months behind next year.

At the moment nobody will insure me because of the fact I have only had licence for 1 year 10 months but have 2 years NCB.. they will only accept it as 1 so coming back as around £3k.

i had a similar problem, i had my license one year and my insurance company gave me 2 years no claims, think its a deal they had on or because i did my pass plus. Just ring the companys up and speak to them over the phone its no good through the websites when you have something like this, i am only 22 mate i know how you feel i had a vr at 19 aswel. think mine was about 1300, a tip for you though, i put my mum on my insurance, me as the first driver and said she has access to another car and so do i which we both do. The premium went down by a few hundred quid. the way they see that is the car is less likely to be in an accident if somebody older is on it, i noticed the more people you put on the better, in most cases, not 10 people though lol, just try adding one person on then two then three max id say.

And sometimes fully comp is cheaper than TPFT and TP

I've already got my mom and dad on the policy.

If I do it just on my own it's about £3.5k.

i've tried ringing around but everyone is saying the same about I haven't had my licence for the amount of NCB i have so they will only put it as 1 years NCB so I'm back to square 1,

So that's why I plan to just have 2 months, cancel it and then can go to any other company I wan't as I'll have had licence for 2 years with 2years NCB.

Want to do it now if possible as if I do another 10 months I've got 4 months to get back somehow before I can have licence for 3 years with 3 years ncb.

And yea fully comp will be cheaper, but only if I have had licence for 2 years. Catch 22 really.

only the company I'm with now will accept it, but it's still more than if I had licence for 2 years if you know what I mean. So all I was going to do was renew if at £1900 ish as pay monthly.. pay as direct debit for 1st and 2nd month, then right at the start of 2nd month cancel my 10 month policy.

I will have to pay a £50 admin charge but the 2 months payment means I pay for the days I have had the cover.

It's starting to get a bit confusing! :D

Surely, if you have proof of your ncb that you can send to them, they can't refute it?? *-)

I am 21 and each policy that i have had has been 10month and none of my insurance companies have had a problem with it. My insurance last month was £1600 tpft but it is now £600 tpft :)

I have 2 years ncb but both of which were gained over 10 month periods and it states this on each of my certificates.

you can be insured before you pass your test though... i was insured on my first car for a few months before i passed as i learnt to drive in it... so when i got my second year insurance i had only passed about 10 months but been insured for a full year... never got questioned.

^^ that's a very good point made there by Nat. I would go down that route with getting quotes from other companies over the phone.

The other thing with renewing then cancelling with the current insurer is, they won't issue you with any additional NCB proof as the full term won't have been completed. They would still just issue you with proof of 1yr 10mnths NCB. I think you know that already, but just to make it clear, in case you don't realise. Also, other insurers generally won't take into account an extra 2 months insurance on a cancelled policy. The only way it may work for you is that the number of years license held will then match up.

As for cancelling a policy without having to pay cancellation charges, there is a sneaky way to avoid them ;) What you need to do is phone up and get a quote for a mid-term change which you know they won't cover e.g. "I want a quote to change vehicle to an Aston Martin DB9". That way, when they say they are unable to cover this, you have the option to cancel without charges, because they are not able to cover your risk. Hope this helps.

i understand about the issues with having insurance before I held licence, but I have the paperwork to say that I have 2 years NCB.

The thing that is causing trouble is they are asking when I had licence (7/2/2008) and how many years NCB I have 2 as from next week... all they are saying is that they can only accept it as 1 year because I haven't held my full UK licence for 2 years.

I know about the fact you can insure before test etc.. but EVERY insurance company I have rang have said they can only accept 1 years NCB.

Only way I can get around it is if I have paperwork for 2 years (which i do) and have licence for 2 years (which i will in Feb)

I know I won't get anything for the 2 months obviously, but as I have the slip to say 2 years NCB they shouldn't dispute anything.

OR

will other insurance companies only see this as 1 year 10 months NCB with held licence for 2 years?

Very confusing :(

Other insurers will go by whatever your document tells them. Does it state '2yrs NCD' on it? Or does it state 'Equivalent of 2yrs NCD'?

If it is the 2nd one, then most insurers will only take that as a years NCD. If it's the first one, then you should be fine once you have held license for 2yrs.