VR6 Remap guide

There are a fair few differences with the ecu's, I would always use a 022906032 ecu with the 24v/R32 engines due to the scope of differences. 256 Immo on/off on the ecu I am dissecitng at the mo is;

VR6256Immoonoffswitch_zpsdda21fd4.jpg

If that fails, I have an old 256Q original bin from a Sharan somewhere

To the guy that sent me a message about their rev limit being 10,000rpm after a "tune", the NMAX would have been changed;

VRTMaxvehiclespeed_zps7e0d87c9.jpg

But they must have also switched off the protective measures for exceeding these speeds also;

VRTNMAXCDT_zpsbca29e78.jpg

VRTErrorlampvehclespeed_zps6f1ae3f7.jpg

So - I am not sure what "tune" it has had but if there are no warnings then a lot would have been switched off

P.S - For anyone playing with NMAX - there is never any need to up your rev limit to 10k, lairy cams and massively modded head about 8k at a push, but I have seen a heavily modded VR6 with a big turbo and they still produce 900hp at 6850rpm and no more power was had up to the 8500rpm red line! The VR6 engines are proper undersquare engines in that they are slow and low revving and best to tune them as such in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

File for some addresses on 256 ecu's, some functions and some offsets/factors online;

Area's of interest;

E - Einspritzung - Injection

L - Ladedruck - Boost control

Z - Zundung - Ignition

You may notice also that I type nine in places, that's because my nine doesn't work on one of the laptops I am using, also the i is a bt iffy, so if you see njection, you know what it means!

Feel free to send any oem bins to me and I may use them to see what crops up in changes/reverse engineering.

Some useful links first:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=2200.0title=

http://mh-nexus.de/en/downloads.php?product=HxD

http://www.tunerpro.net/downloadApp.htm

Hope this helps!  :D

Can't upload the file due to permissions - here's a slightly older version linked:

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=7683.0title=

Edited by RBPE
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay - was stuck bed ridden this week and got to thinking about the 10,000rpm question that was posted on the forum.

I took a look around a file I have, it's a German turbo one floating about on ecu tuners forums and I think that one or two tuners are going to be, or are, using this for their commercial tunes.

The file itself is a read only file but it is good for picking up addresses and functions on a few VR6 ecu variations. However, a lot of the protective functions have been turned off and whoever created it was also putting a map pack together - as such, some of the values in the maps/functions are actually the number they placed against the map for their map pack!

This can be seen here with the number 254 which is the map pack designation;

NMAX%20Read%20only%20file_zpsc91jbdrm.jp

If you have had your car "mapped" and suddenly find you have a 10k rev limit then I think this file has been used without the tuner going through it - I have not tested anything yet but I may have a play with it at a later date if I have time.

On this German file it has a seperate map integrated called "max drehzahl" or "max speed" - which is a 6x5 map - if you have that actual file it is in the map pack bit "meine kennfelder" at the beginning near the bottom before the defined areas.

These values sprang to mind;

10023rpm%20limit_zpsxlcfp5yk.jpg

If you take the hex values of 9C 9C and reverse them, it is still the same. Converting this to decimal gives - 40092 - divided by 4 gives 10023. So, this could be what is causing the 10,023rpm rev limit (150rpm play either way on the older Motronic rev limits by the way).

So - the German file is a 256, the addresses are different on the different VR6 ecu's, well most are, some are the same, but chances are your oem bin was overflashed with this new one so the addresses are likely to match this. 

I can't say what any such tuner would have added regarding being able to read or write on that file for modifying but I would go back to stock really or make sure you get someone to go through it all as there are a lot of protective measures turned off - but if not and this thread is about remapping then let's look at what you can do.

Like I said I have not tested this yet just briefly looking at the file but it all seems to add up.

I chose 7200rpm rev limit for this demo - times by 4 = 28800 - convert to hex - you can do this just using the scientific function on your windows calc = 7080. Reverse the code gives 8070 and.....

7200rpm%20set_zpsmbafghdw.jpg

added to the map.

This also happens to be a sample point for the "max Drehzahl" 5x6 map in there, this is the max speeds but there are other factors for the max rev limit (see below)

So, the values are changed and added and if that map is integrated into your file - I would also have to look through the max speeds map in there to at the values around it, here;

NMAX%20map%20and%20rpm%20set_zps7z1yglkz

I would therefore be very careful if you have your car mapped and this happens as your protective measures have likely been switched off too!

EDIT: Yes, it is confirmed that this is technically the max speed map, however, this version and possibly one you get flashed to your car in future has everything related to it turned off - for example the knock sensor at WOT, fault code warnings etc - so in short, if you have got a 10k rev limit, you have very little protections turned on!

Edited by RBPE
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay - a bit more info for budding VR/R32 tuners.

Here's a sneak peak at the sheer scale of upgrades on the newer ME7.1.1 ecu's compared with the older Motronic 3.8 for the 12V motors regarding cam timing controls (i.e. VVT). These are correct addresses etc for certain ecu revisions too if you feel lazy ;-) 

These are not all of them, there are other areas the ecu references but it gives you an idea on the differences between the main functions.

M3.8 12V Cam controls:

12v%20man%20cam%20functions_zpsg5wryo5h.

ME7.1.1. BFH R32 Cam controls

Exhaust (NWA)

BFH%20Exhaust%20cam%20functions_zpskwz2r

Inlet cam (NWE)

BFH%20Inlet%20cam%20functions_zpsow18ixn

I have also been doing a BDE NA and Turbo master file recently and they line up pretty good with the BFH R32 ecu - there are a few offsets to be used but a lot of it lines up okay without it.

bd%20bfh%20mapping_zpsc5fkdiie.jpg

A lot of people looking to build an FI V6 4motion or R32 mk4 have been using the 551 files you can find on places like Nef Moto and have been touted as being "R32 files" - the 551 for those that don't know is the Audi 2.7T and is an ME 7.1.1. ecu- however, these are a little different to the R32.

First of all the above exhaust cam controls are missing in those files as most of the Audi's (at least the free files you can get on there anyway to learn off) were inlet cam VVT only (like early V6 4motion cars), also narrowband I think.

So, if you are working off those files to tune a V6 4mo or R32 you can have a look above at some of the VVT aspects missing. This is generally what it will look like when you put it in WinOLS.

551%20no%20abgas%20cam%20controls_zpszyg

There are also other aspects missing too, for example here we have the variable resonance manifold functions - changing from short runners to long etc:

BFH%20R32%20Inlet%20mani%20info_zpskzfhs

I have not personally used a 551 file for these engines but apparently a couple of people have successfully used them to make R32T and VR6 24VT cars but there are differences so now you know!

• 2 weeks later...

I've -put the full definition file on Nef for those that want everything on a VR6 Turbo - I think it is a read only and it is already available on the net in some DAMOS packs people have been sharing.

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=7904.0title=

***Note - I think this is the file that gave the 10,000rpm limit so be careful! ***

Edited by RBPE
  • 6 months later...

ME7.1.1. Cam controls - difficult to find them on the net.

This is twin VVT ecu's, the single one's like AUE have the exhaust one's missing -funnily enough - so disregard if you're tuning them and I didn't bother putting the codewords - on/off switches - or the other 1x1 functions on so is the main map areas.

ME711%20Cam%20maps_zpselchpx8q.jpg

Edited by RBPE

That's all jiiberish to me haha. I'm just about to drop a bde in my mk3 next week

Just started a new one - love doing BFH/BDE one's, so much easier than the older AUE or mk5's.

42 Ignition/Injection maps whilst cooking me tea last night;

Edited by RBPE
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, if you are following this and still want to tune your own car then I have updated some stuff to help. 

I've tested around a dozen or so ecu variations and many, due to the evolutionary aspects Motronic around this time, OBD2 introduction, ecu versions etc, are quite hard to line up to make a def file, it takes a lot of manual input. To make it easier then, I have added a stock binary file from a special edition '98 model to the post below which has been the easiest to build a def file off so far.

So, what you do is this;

Download the def file - I've updated a direct link to it on the below Nef Moto thread so it's easier to find,

Download the stock bin file I have uploaded this morning,

Download Winols free version if you haven't done so already, tweak the height colour differences in the options of Winols for best views and then add the two files to it.

Ctrl+2 will link the two files up as shown below.

To help you get started in lining it up I have put up a quick screenshot and quick Libre Office file I did before I went to work this morning, picking out two maps and which lines it up as you can see (where it goes green). 

12v%20to%20help%20noobs%20def_zpso5ofopn

If you type the offset of 46F in the window as highlighted and/or go to 0A2AD then you can pick out what is shown above. Few areas you can see can be defined easily as they are the same (in green) - bit of practice and you'll soon get the different areas lined up okay and soon spot the changes in the def file to the stock bin. Do this and you will have all you need to make your own maps/def's on Tunerpro in no time.

Although you'll only get a finite number of changes/maps on a commercial tune, I do end up writing the entire contents of these ecu's out over many months so there are a few Libre Office files I have put up which are early ones. May need to change the English in them and probably tweak a few things but you end up doing this as you go along anyway plus you'll be able to read the maps/functions without having to change them from German eventually if you make your own def files like this!

Link to the thread;

http://nefariousmotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=7683.0title=

Edited by RBPE
  • 1 year later...

Anything from a £20 flashing tool to £200,000's worth of equipment really!

There's various elements to tuning and variances between ecu's/brands so you start by what market you want to do it for and work from there.

Cheapest way to tune a car for yourself would be to get a cheap ebay clone like this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPPS-V13-02-Interface-Cable-OBDII-OBD2-VW-AUDI-BMW-Citroen-ECU-Flasher-/201620158317?hash=item2ef17f776d:g:zkgAAOSwRJ9XgQc0

I've used that exact tool on a mate's 20vt as it's all we had to hand at the time and he'd already used it on his car - did the job!

You can spend thousands on a flashing tool alone though and what tool you get, again, comes down to what you can afford, what market you're aiming at - few examples;

http://alientechsales.co.uk/alientech-k-tag/

http://byteshooter.de/

https://www.chiptuningshop.co.uk/product/mpps-obd-tool/

Once you've got a read of your ecu then you need to convert the binary data in a hex editor - some tools you can do it in the tool/with everything built in or in the case of winols, get the hex editor and add emulation tools.

https://www.chiptuningshop.co.uk/product/winols-editor/

There's also bench flashing and in some cases changing of the chips on the board.

However, there are plenty of free hex editors out there, this is a good one people have used;

https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Once you have modified the data then you need to checksum it - basically a sum that changes when you change data, a corrector will change the sum when you change data to match what it was when you took the read and so it can be flashed back on the ecu correctly with the data mods. Some of the clones are being offered with inbuilt checksums, the expensive tools tend to have them inbuilt too and you can buy modules with things like winols for each ecu checksum. The CS' come down to the ecu revisions, for example, between the mk4 and 5 R32's there are 3 C167 processor revisions so you need 3 modules to be able to do all of them at £300 or so a pop! That's where the money starts to add up the more vehicles you do (£20k+).

If you're struggling for checksums, some people offer a service or there are things like this if you're just doing one or 2 ecu types;

https://www.ecufix.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=180&zenid=ervbr1d371a90kcnohotedo015

You can, ecu dependent, sort the checksums out manually, that hxd editor would be all you need for that really! Generally though, it's the tools that make life easier and they can have all these things in-built to make life much easier!

So that's the read/writing and editing side of things - onto the tuning and more technical side!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you've got that sorted then it's on to air/fuel metering. You can buy single use things for emulating the data/changes if you're just doing one or two ecu's, or they're add ons for the tools you choose - prime examples;

http://www.moates.net/realtime-emulation-c-95.html

https://www.evc.de/en/product/ols/ols300/

What a pro would tend to do though, seeing as you're doing a number of cars, would be to purchase a transferable device that allows them to analyze the lambda data in real time, these are good ones;

http://www.ecm-co.com/category.asp?afra

All of the above would sort you out for something like live mapping or bench flashing/emulation really - how much you spend can vary massively as you can see.

Then there's the dyno! These are used for obvious reasons - safety in not having to drive everywhere live mapping, having tools to hand etc but mainly steady state tuning on the fuelling side. Easier to set a dyno at 4k rpm's than sit like that on the street! Budget £10-100k+ 2nd hand/new for that plus renting a building or buying a van if mobile.

The last bit is custom coding integration or more technical modifications in that respect. All the dyno operators I've dealt with tend to have someone for this type of thing, so it's rare to have one that will know these things but it's all about reverse engineering and adding data in redundant areas and making former data redundant for the new. You need a disassembler aimed at the processors used for that and lot's of coding background for these things but it basically tells you how the ecu/processors work, jumps and calls and all the coding malarky.

LDR Reg Q2 S3 IDA NMITRAP etc

Phew! 

Edited by RBPE
Vista tastic!