no damage to either party...did it really need to be reported??

hi guys,

I bumped someone from behind in the vr a couple of weeks back. I was only rolling off the clutch in first. Anyway no damage was sustained to my car or his from the looks of it, but he said he would take his to the garage anyway to be inspected and i offered to cover the cost. I kept in contact with the bloke ..and he said the garage couldn't see any visible damage and we'd leave it at that. yet today i get a form in the post saying a claim has been made against me and im at fault :-#. I don't know what to do now but im well gutted only being 20 and just about being able to pay the insurance with no previous claims. Even if the matter isn't taken any further and its just been reported with neither parties having sustained damage or injury..hows this going to affect me in the future as after all it was my fault. It just makes it more frustrating that it will possibly affect my insurance in the future and i don't even have a dent to show for it. Just wanted to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation or know how this one might affect me.

cheers dudes and duddets

a claim can only be made to pay for damage that was caused, if there is no damage to repair then no claim will be paid. you only lose your no claims if your insurance company have to pay out money on your behalf.... does the letter say what he is claiming for???

my insurance sent me a letter saying a third party has reported your car being in an incident with you at fault with a claims form attached. Ive got an invoice from the garage that looked at his car, as i offered to pay.

Im going to send the forms back with a copy of the invoice as it does state no damage was found. But surely now on the big insurance system if i go for insurance in the future, it will come up that i was in an accident and that it was my fault, They don't care if any damage happened....its just a statistic to them them. Can you see where im coming from though?? This guy really is just causing aggro for me

what is the invoice for then and how much?? did they charge him for the inspection or something??

and no, dont worry, it wont show up unless they actually pay out money to this guy on your behalf.... if no claim goes through and no money is paid nothing will show up and you will retain your no claims bonus.

what is the invoice for then and how much?? did they charge him for the inspection or something??

and no' date=' dont worry, it wont show up unless they actually pay out money to this guy on your behalf.... if no claim goes through and no money is paid nothing will show up and you will retain your no claims bonus.

[/quote']

It was 36 pounds for the inspection. We both knew there was no damage but he wanted to be sure there was no internal damage on his bumper (even though it was one of those big ugly plastic hyundai 4x4's). He seemed ok to me and came to a mutual agreement that it wudn't be taken further. I felt obliged to pay for the inspection.

cheers

my f**kin god, can you not contact the guy direct and try to settle this outside of insurance cuz if he demands that goes thru and ruins your no claims id be amased!!

There is no need for it to go through them for that amount, he's just being unreasonable. if he wont settle out of insurers id be in 2 minds to paint stripper his car and give him something to really claim for!! haha (but obv im not saying you should!!) :P

Personally id of told my insurance company straight away incase anything did come of it.

But as the others have said insurance company will only call it a claim IF they pay out

But when you go for insuracne theres the, have you had any claims against you question and have you been in any accidents. I wudn't be so bothered if i was 30 something with 5 years protected ncb. I know it sounds like im trying to dodge the system a bit, but if my premium goes up next year i may have to sell the car as im only an apprentice and i already fork out 250 quid petrol just to get to college each month..but its worth it.

my f**kin god' date=' can you not contact the guy direct and try to settle this outside of insurance cuz if he demands that goes thru and ruins your no claims id be amased!!

There is no need for it to go through them for that amount, he's just being unreasonable. if he wont settle out of insurers id be in 2 minds to paint stripper his car and give him something to really claim for!! haha (but obv im not saying you should!!) :P

[/quote']

I'll pretend i didn't hear that last bit..but what are exchanging details for? ;) Well im going to give him a ring in a couple hourse before i speak to my insurance. Ill let you guys know what he said later

thanks for the support

Little update. Spoke to my insurance today. According to them...they don't think hes claiming for accident repair work, but they need to confirm it still, but instead is claiming personal injury!!!! What a c**t..hes trying to take me to the cleaners..you get more whiplash on bumper cars

oh really... ppl are so unreasonable sometimes... whiplash is a tough thing to prove as a fake, but i think you'll be ok considering there was no damage to either car....

I got hit at 55 mph from behind and wrote of my car, their car was heavily damaged and also the one in front of me... i was in hospital and couldnt walk unassisted or go without a brace for 2 weeks, 6 years on and im still in pain every day and cannot do things i should be able to... i claimed and got 3 grand... not really enough as its f**ked me for life.

Point is that was a genuine claim and i had check up after check up by surgeons and x rays, physio reports, this went on for months cuz they want to make sure you're not faking it... so if he can carry it on that far i would be amazed...

ill keep my fingers crossed for ya.

well an independant company is coming to survey both cars to try and make it add-up and also so its not a non biased opinion. Like nat said it is hard to prove that someone is faking whiplash. I even said to my insurance surely it cant be taken further if theres no visible damage but according to them they get many cases that go right up to court and the person being claimed against often loses. Just have to play the waiting game now :-|

steve

Sorry to hear about your problem ! i had a similar car park prang few yrs back rolled back into a parked toyota yaris slightly pushed the bumper in it was nasty flexible plastic... the woman wasn't in the car at the time her daughter parked the car in my wife's car park & the mum claimed neck injuries and complete front end damage ! ... She got done by insurer for false claim but as it was my mrs car it ended up being my mrs getting black mark on the insurance not me !! bumped her premium up by 150 even tho no offical claim went through they record it on the system all i can say is insurer's are c***s !!!

If i were you take pics of the damage to ure car and detail a journal of the times etc and accident details... If he's pulling a fast one they'll get him.

well an independant company is coming to survey both cars to try and make it add-up and also so its not a non biased opinion. Like nat said it is hard to prove that someone is faking whiplash. I even said to my insurance surely it cant be taken further if theres no visible damage but according to them they get many cases that go right up to court and the person being claimed against often loses. Just have to play the waiting game now :-|

steve

So it was NOT reported to your insurers at the time of the accident

An independant garage advised of no damage to which you have the invoice

I would say in all hoensty mate, if the inspectors dont turn round after reviewing each car and say (there wasnt enough of an impact to cause whiplash) i highly doubt this TBH the guy will get found out to be lying if what you have said is true....

if it still goes against you...then simply ring your insurer and say

"it wasnt me"

no accident report / no police report / no vehicle damage

It will leave him sinking like a stone...

Negligence is bliss, even though your at the stage you are now with the vehicles being inspected, you can still deny all knwoledge, what evidence do they have??? bugger all matey ;)

• 2 months later...

evening to you all,

I know its been a while since ive updated so thought id let you know the situation. Spoke to my insurance company a couple days ago to find out what was happening as i hadn't heard from them since my car was surveyed. Anyway both cars have been checked through the insurance and no damage to either partys car has been found. This info has been passed from my insurance company to theirs and are now awaiting reply. I'm still in no mans land really... but theres officially no damage to pay for on either party. Will just have to see if the guy tries to follow through on this injury claim. Renewal is coming up in a couple of months so i need to know if its bi bi to the vr if my premium rockets. Hopefully not though :)