Pete's OBD2 Corrado VR6 - On The Road

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive!!!  

Went to my local pirtek branch to make up my oil lines as didn't have correct tools here to do the job and wanted peace of mind 🏻 They have done a great job and only £38 - I supplied the li

I went to Stealth yesterday, feeling quite apprehensive! I am the 3rd car that has used their new strapping system, so they can run higher power cars without needing to use glue all of the time, and a

Posted Images

So bit of an update! It's still running nicely and now has a fresh MOT ticket. Only advisories were rear axel bushes and some play in rear bearings, but as the bearings were new they just needed tweaking up now I've got some miles on them.

Axel bushes I will do next month and replace with power flex ones.

So she's had s good wash and Hoover ready for a drive to Cornwall soon!

IMG_1468795104.794679.thumb.jpg.b509cca3

Got the roof box on - total nightmare with the roof rails for the Corrado! Lol

IMG_1468795371.240011.thumb.jpg.9225582a

Got to do some club repping

IMG_1468795384.854039.thumb.jpg.f7c5fb78

So fingers crossed it doesn't let me down as nearly 300 mile drive each way!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2016 at 9:44 PM, VR6Pete said:

Well that was short lived. Alternator has packed up and go home tomorrow! Probably due to tension off the charger.

Luckily through the power of the owners club and it's great members will have another alternator fitted tomorrow ready to go home tomorrow night emoji106.png?

Did ya make it mate?

Damn right I did. Nothing keeps me away from VWNW!

George and Dan were diamonds and helped me out big time!

IMG_1470433492.381814.jpg

Of course they did all the work and I sat back with a brew joking of course...

IMG_1470433584.892016.jpg

Big job to get alternator off with charger. Ended up taking front end off, charger, pulleys just to get to alternator.

IMG_1470433640.955384.jpg

At that point noticed the bolt was rounded off and just spinning in the housing so had to smash the alternator apart to get mole grips on it so could remove the nut.

IMG_1470433700.585329.jpg

The alternator was clicking when spinning. Although bearings looked OK and was still spinning freely!

But when putting back together noticed the smaller idler pulley bearing had collapsed and had movement and was not spinning freely.

IMG_1470434016.827771.jpg

At this point it was getting late and had a 300 mile drive ahead of me, I decided to simply remove it and take up the slack on the belt.

Managed get it all back together for about 21:00 and set off for home shortly after, made it in just before 4am this morning.

IMG_1470433987.462632.jpg

Have ordered a new pulley so all good and ready to rock for VWNW, albeit needing a bloody good clean!

Great holiday though and still proud of the Corrado doing over 1.2k miles in the last 2 weeks!

IMG_1470433745.691526.jpg

So managed to track down a new idler pulley !

image.jpeg

Hopefully get it fitted this weekend and get boosting again ??

Also managed pick up some power flex rest axel bushes for £48 quid from car parts 4 less using discount code FAST10.

Bargain, can't wait get them fitted as old ones seen better days. Not a job ill be doing myself though oh no !

image.jpeg

Sunroof also broke on Sunday after VWNW ? so will be replacing the troublesome Corrado cassette with a golf mk3 item and using a Passat b4 moon roof glass. Should be a nice upgrade. 

Nightmare mate. Still it not that bad for the amount of miles the old girl did   

Why didn't you chop the end of wire instead? And put a new terminal on. 

Could of save the alternator, and rebuilt and refurbished it. 

It's done well for original alternator.

Halfords was an hour away and the bolt in the old alternator was just spinning in the case due to already being cracked, so there was no hope besides time was ticking and as soon as we finished fixing it up at just after 9pm jumped in the car and drove 300 miles home just needed take the quickest route to get the job done

Got my new idler pulley fitted just need put belt and charger / pipe work ontogeny it's my daily motor for while as Mrs now owns my punto after passing test.

Need get the axel bushes and sunroof sorted on Corrado next.

Will be tuning it in the club RWYB day at Santa pod in October too.

Also got new wings and now starting collect parts for bodywork next year.

• 3 weeks later...

It will be all good in the end I got rid of my supercharged syncro 2 yrs ago I luv my new car I have had since selling my Vr but missing a Vr so bad so going to buy another much to my wife's dismay once your hooked there's nothing else once it's fixed you will have that smile back on your face again

4 hours ago, ssaunders said:

Keep on slogging Pete! Going to do sunroof swap soon myself, where are you getting the glass?

S

cheers mate, I got a Passat B4 glass, a Golf MK3 cassette as they are a better design than Corrado and Passat, I just need the sliding interior sun shade. now

You'll get there in the end mate, 

compressor test you piping, to check for boost leaks. 

Few DIY guide on you tube if your not 100% sure how you do it. 

It's easy to make the stuff you need. Plus you need a compressor with an adjustable regulator you can set to the same as you max boost. 

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, c00k said:

You'll get there in the end mate, 

compressor test you piping, to check for boost leaks. 

Few DIY guide on you tube if your not 100% sure how you do it. 

It's easy to make the stuff you need. Plus you need a compressor with an adjustable regulator you can set to the same as you max boost. 

Sorted :) 

Wasn't a boost leak as such, just a combination of the silicon hose on the ABS booster line not being secured properly so was under reading, but also the belt needed more tension following replacing the idler pulley.

Happy to report its now producing 9 PSI again and feels strong.

Sorted a few issues as well at the weekend, there was a noise coming from the rear of the car on the exhaust but just needed to secure the rear heat shield above the backbox again.

Checked the gear box mount and it looks OK, I just jacked up the car slight on the gearbox to see if there was a lot of movement, there is a little, enough to get my fingers under the rubber flap, seems secure enough so one less thing to sort before GTI Festival !

vag870m_875mx_506.jpg

Also ordered some more pipework for the air- intake as I had to perform a repair whilst in Cornwall after I put a hole in it (bit of electrical tape sorted that! lol).

Next on the list is to sort the exhaust next weekend as my decat pipe is 2.25" and my exhaust system is 2.5", got the following adaptor, ideally I would like a 2.5" decat pipe, but for now this will do and only cost £8, so will stop the blowing as you can imagine has never sealed well and requires a lot of exhaust paste!

s-l1600.jpg

Also replaced the bonnet seal clips as a few of them had snapped and the rubber was just sagging down.

s-l1600.jpg 

Overall a good weekend sorting jobs on the Corrado and hopefully come the end of next weekend will be ready for SantaPod!

What a nightmare. 

We suffered a flash flood in Stoke on my way home from work. 

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2378.PNG

Long and short is that I sucked up a lot of water into the engine. 

Luckily the engine still turned over and didn't hydro lock. Was crawling at the time. Luckily after about 20 minutes the plugs dried out enough to start and get me home (eventually). 

The storm was a strange one, left houses without water and power up my way and cars floating away on other roads near by!

There was a lot of water sitting in my intake pipe. The way I have it is that it forms a U bend and this is what was in it!

IMG_2377.JPG

Contents from the catch tank:

IMG_2376.JPG

Car runs and idles ok now. Had it replace the MAF too as it was damaged. 

IMG_2382.JPG

All pipe work dried out. 

IMG_2383.JPG

Will be doing an oil and filter change this weekend and see if I can mount my air filter in an alternative location. 

Will be doing a compression test for peace of mind. Fingers crossed I got away with it!!