Pete's OBD2 Corrado VR6 - On The Road

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's alive!!!  

Went to my local pirtek branch to make up my oil lines as didn't have correct tools here to do the job and wanted peace of mind 🏻 They have done a great job and only £38 - I supplied the li

I went to Stealth yesterday, feeling quite apprehensive! I am the 3rd car that has used their new strapping system, so they can run higher power cars without needing to use glue all of the time, and a

Posted Images

Nice man, braided hoses are much better :) 

There not to hard to make your self, with slight different fittings. 

You could of made them with a vice, AN fittings, and a spanner. 

It's not to hard, I've made loads for my air ride, external oil cooler, power steering. 

On 4/24/2016 at 9:20 AM, c00k said:

Nice man, braided hoses are much better :) 

There not to hard to make your self, with slight different fittings. 

You could of made them with a vice, AN fittings, and a spanner. 

It's not to hard, I've made loads for my air ride, external oil cooler, power steering. 

I didn't even have a saw to get a clean cut and after stabbing under my nail with a piece of braided hose it wasn't worth my time for the sake of 38 quid, piece of mind as well knowing they have been done right too 

I know the feeling of being stabbed by them. 

Also don't cut braided hoses with a saw buddy, all the end's fray like mad. Even if you do tape it up. 

Use a decent pair of heavy duty snips. Or a braided hose cutter. 

Thats how I cut mine anyway, I learnt not to uses a saw after making my first one. 

Edited by c00k
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sooo. Has been a few weeks since having it up and running.

Seems to be running well. Put it on the rolling road at stealth on the last rolling road day just make sure everything is looking good in preparation for my mapping session on Monday. Everything looked well and was pushing 9psi boost, should be 10 - 12 PSI though. Noticed not long after the case was leaking boost where the scroll meets the gearbox housing on the charger.

Ordered some jointing compound which has sealed it up nicely as well as replacing the 6PK belt for a much better quality 7PK belt should see me hit the numbers !

Have also installed plastic splash guard to help protect my air filter.

Fitted decat but got a blow because of a crap clamp so will be sorting that tomorrow.

It's had a good clean too ?

575b31f9c82dd_ImageUploadedByTheVR6Owner

575b3239a59dc_ImageUploadedByTheVR6Owner

I went to Stealth yesterday, feeling quite apprehensive! I am the 3rd car that has used their new strapping system, so they can run higher power cars without needing to use glue all of the time, and all went well.

Be interesting to see how John Maliks 800BHP + corrado gets on when its back on the rollers :)

Anyway, back my car...early on the mapping session it appeared to have a misfire after 5,000 RPM which put a stop on the session, ended up being spark plugs as engine has been overfueling and plugs were pretty shot ! Vince has recommended FR7KPP33+ - so we could continue the session just swapped for some old NGK's he had around the workshop.

Started to hit the numbers after Vince worked on the map, 262BHP, 279BHP, 292BHP and on the final run pushed 294BHP ! Was really happy with the outcome and im sure it will do more as was a fairly hot engine by this point - The drive home was immense and bags of power on boost now !

Just need to get some plugs and away we go!

Will post up some photos shortly! 294BHP and 241 lb/ft @ 0.6 bar isn't too bad for the old girl :)

There the same spark plugs I run :) 

vince recommend same one for my charger setup. 

They do make the engine run hotter than NGK's, why I have and external oil cooler, with a thermostat, so it can never over cool the oil. Plus an alloy oversized and uprated rad, low temp thermostat, and low temp fan switch. 

But with your engine being almost brand new condition, I'd run an external oil cooler, with a thermostat. Plus a low temp coolant thermostat. 

Sound like you made some good figures. 

What at has been done altogether? 

I known a brand new 2.9 long stroke engine rebuilt by Vince, supercharger, walbro. 

Just like to know to compare it to mine and get rough ideas of figures.

Edited by c00k
16 hours ago, c00k said:

There the same spark plugs I run :) 

vince recommend same one for my charger setup. 

They do make the engine run hotter than NGK's, why I have and external oil cooler, with a thermostat, so it can never over cool the oil. Plus an alloy oversized and uprated rad, low temp thermostat, and low temp fan switch. 

But with your engine being almost brand new condition, I'd run an external oil cooler, with a thermostat. Plus a low temp coolant thermostat. 

Sound like you made some good figures. 

What at has been done altogether? 

I known a brand new 2.9 long stroke engine rebuilt by Vince, supercharger, walbro. 

Just like to know to compare it to mine and get rough ideas of figures.

I will be looking at cooling and meth going forward, will start off with a radiator fan switch to get fans kicking in earlier.

Temperatures on the rollers were ok! coolant temp = 100degrees, and oil was 112 which is normal for my car.

Will look into oil cooler further down the line - what have you got? Ideally want it out of view and a factory looking setup. I don't drive it to death so I will be ok - good feedback nether the less on the plugs :)

I've got schimmels, 6 branch, decat and stainless exhaust, that's pretty much it to be honest :) With the 380cc injectors, dual idle pulley etc... nothing special! probably will look at coolant thermostat next time I have coolant drained.

P

On 15 June 2016 at 11:36 AM, VR6Pete said:

I will be looking at cooling and meth going forward, will start off with a radiator fan switch to get fans kicking in earlier.

Temperatures on the rollers were ok! coolant temp = 100degrees, and oil was 112 which is normal for my car.

Will look into oil cooler further down the line - what have you got? Ideally want it out of view and a factory looking setup. I don't drive it to death so I will be ok - good feedback nether the less on the plugs :)

I've got schimmels, 6 branch, decat and stainless exhaust, that's pretty much it to be honest :) With the 380cc injectors, dual idle pulley etc... nothing special! probably will look at coolant thermostat next time I have coolant drained.

P

I've got the Mocal oil cooler 16 row, Mocal Sandwage plate, with thermostat upgrade. Custom made braided lines. I ditched the standard oil cooler, it just makes your coolant hotter in my opinion, plus I'm not bothered about my black ones bay looking standard, it was far from standard a long time ago. haha. 

But you can keep the original oil cool if you wish, but you will need to buy an extended oil feed pipe, so it can take the original oil cooler, Sandwage plate for external oil cooler, and sealing cap. 

I belive Corrado's come with the metal sealing cap, so you can just re-use this and replace seal. Golf mk3's have a plastic sealing cap, and need to be replaced with corrado metal one, or an aftermarket Mocal one. 

Low temp fan switch and low temp thermostat I got from Germany together, as it was so much cheaper than the UK. 

If I remember right, it was about £70-80 from UK, or £25 from Germany, and waited a week longer for postage.  

Edited by c00k
On 6/16/2016 at 6:49 PM, c00k said:

I've got the Mocal oil cooler 16 row, Mocal Sandwage plate, with thermostat upgrade. Custom made braided lines. I ditched the standard oil cooler, it just makes your coolant hotter in my opinion, plus I'm not bothered about my black ones bay looking standard, it was far from standard a long time ago. haha. 

But you can keep the original oil cool if you wish, but you will need to buy an extended oil feed pipe, so it can take the original oil cooler, Sandwage plate for external oil cooler, and sealing cap. 

I belive Corrado's come with the metal sealing cap, so you can just re-use this and replace seal. Golf mk3's have a plastic sealing cap, and need to be replaced with corrado metal one, or an aftermarket Mocal one. 

Low temp fan switch and low temp thermostat I got from Germany together, as it was so much cheaper than the UK. 

If I remember right, it was about £70-80 from UK, or £25 from Germany, and waited a week longer for postage.  

Useful info as always mate ! Do you have links to where you got the stat and and low temp fan switch from in germany? I don't mind waiting. 

I've always been advised to always go with the thermo plate - I probably will keep original cooler - what did you pay on the mocal with everything just to give me an idea? 

Cheers.

Pete 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for slow reply buddy, I've been so busy lately. 

But if I remember right I paid :

£50 for sand wage plate 

£20 for theremostat upgrade. 

So £70 in total for sand wage plate. 

£25 for metal sealing caps. (Not needed if you already have metal one)

£40 for 16 row oil cooler 

£20-30 for braided line and fitting (made the lines my self) 

i went for quite fat braided hose to help drop the oil pressure slightly. 

The extended connecting pipe to keep the original oil cooler is only made by United Motorsport I think. It's around £30. I didn't get one of these. 

Once I finish doing my gauges, and get some more figures, I may even run a 2nd oil breather line in to my catch tank, to drop oil pressure slightly more. 

I'll see if I can find link to German website, it was awhile I bought it, so can't promise anything. I don't have one saved unfotunetly. But I may have an invoice from them. I'll see if I can dig it out for you dude. 

Edited by c00k

This is the kit i have

http://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/lshop,showdetail,14534,en,1467702634-14550,1100250806.oelkuehlerkit_vw.1204545123,21vr044,,,.htm

Its complete and has everything you need to fit it. That kit is for the plastic oil filter housing, they also do a specific kit for the metal oil filter housing

Not sure if the actual oil cool is a little on the large side with 19 rows

Edited by 20JahreGTI