tonys on going project ... rebuild is on .....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got the tracking and camber set-up on sat .... pulls to the left and i get one and 1/4 turns for lock on the left and one a 3/4 truns to the right ..... and when i changed to oil and filter today found they have buggered up the n/s steering rack bellow .... arse ....

• 3 weeks later...

How'd you find running the low comp 2.9 N/A? Much difference?

Ken

if anything mate its better than the standard lump .... pulls like a train pleanty of poke ..... no worries wot so eva with running low comp for a while b4 u force it ..... pete`s old mk2 and mk3 were low comp as well

Would be interesting to know the comparison as i'll need to go low comp and run like that for a while before turbo charging.

i thought you were going SUPERCHARGER lol guess youv been in UGLY BETTY ^o)

You're not wrong buddy, in an ideal world I would love a charger. Been doing some research and pricing up the options, the fact remains turbo charging can be done for £750 with new parts whereas charging is £4-5K. Unless that is, someone fancies donating a rotrex.

Here is a complete kit that can be supplied. I'm in no way vouching for the quality or performance but it is one lead that i've looked into.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170346524761&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1085wt_941

You could run this on low boost with no internal modifications, but from what I have read so far and i'm no expert on the matter I would feel alot more comfortable replacing head and crankshaft bolts, replacing pistons and fitting a spacer plate to lower compression in addition to a kit like this. Injectors would also be a consideration.

It is still possible to run this type of setup with low boost and no further outlay. For better quality components and increased strength individual items can be found relatively cheaply if the risk of condition is assessed. ie turbo's for £100, manifolds about the same and intercoolers from other vehicles sourced from breakers. I'm still researching what's possible would suggest anyone else doing the same. Jim did all his for under £1000 and he's running more than 400 bhp. Jake bought a car already turbo'd on a kit similar to this and paid not much more including the car. So it is possible. I can't vouch for any of the specifics until i've done mine but there are some very clever individuals on here who are more than willing to help. Also you could haggle and place a bid which means you could get for less than the £749.