What did you do to your VR6 today?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bolted a Rotrex supercharger to it! It's a long story which involves me getting very annoyed with the VF charger leaking oil after waiting 2 months for a belt, fellow member D11PS being a good salesm

Been a bit quiet lately, so thought I'd change that and then this happened!

Because US spec front bumper! Thanks to Bennyk and star street garage for the superfluous job of painting my shtuff, can't wait to display the tailgate to all, it's a work of art!!!!

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Well after suffering multiple coil pack failures on the way back from the rolling road event, without participating, I finally remortgaged the house and bought 6 new coil packs yesterday.

Probably incorrect in my feeling of the car but it really does pick up much better low down and feels...better with power. 

Fuel filter this weekend and then I'll be focused on attacking the suspension.

Thursday night I made a journey to Berwick from Coventry. Meters from an accident that happened in Wakefield too.

Anyway,

I managed 75mph almost all the way up on the M1, on the bits that were not restricted or closed. 34mpg... ;)

Annoyed though. I've used coolant and oil............. we all know what that means.... especially with slight smoke out the arse and slightly running rough-ish.

Clutch is starting to slip and the whine from the gearbox is louder than ever...think that might be an end bearing.

May well start looking for a 4mo sharan V6 now.

Flatted and painted my new addition Eibach ARB's and gave Eibach a call to complain about the perished polybushes. .

The good chaps only sending me a full new fitting kit out FOC so the ARB's will be fitted this week. ImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1464673159.567750.jpgImageUploadedByThe VR6 Owners  Club1464673174.269048.jpg

The bushes and fitting kit came today so the bars will be fitted at the weekend.

574df01407248_ImageUploadedByTheVR6Owner

Do you know if they sell that mounting kit seperately? I've got a set of H&R anti rollbars but no mounting kit with them.

Simon.

Yes mate. Eibach do. I'm pretty sure H&R will too mate. Get on the phone pal and tell them your bushes have perished like I did.

They sent me the kit free of charge.

• 2 weeks later...

Not long back from having the car mapped at stealth... Bit of an odd one but turns out the stage 1 charger I bought brand new was a stage 2!

Finished up on 287bhp - not bad considering I left the house hoping to hit around 240!

2 hour drive back to South Wales and the car feels so good.. Vince has done an awesome job!!

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:36 PM, Dyson333 said:

Not long back from having the car mapped at stealth... Bit of an odd one but turns out the stage 1 charger I bought brand new was a stage 2!

Finished up on 287bhp - not bad considering I left the house hoping to hit around 240!

2 hour drive back to South Wales and the car feels so good.. Vince has done an awesome job!!

That's awesome! and good figures - I cannot recommend Vince's maps enough, he does a great job. What's next then for you?

14 hours ago, six appeal said:

Nice Pete! Bet it shifts now! What mods that got? Which injectors did Vince recommend?

Simon.

Goes really well Simon! I've got 380cc injectors in mine that came with the kit and a 2.75" pulley, really all works well together, just got some better spark plugs as recommended by Vince so once it stops raining cats and dogs will throw them in !

Need a new battery as mine is EOL and goes flat very quickly.

Getting this one - http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1994/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444770758&1&f46f442927912834cc620f2aeba15d1a4c5a67c2&1&000020 £72.80 with discount code so should be good, been meaning to do it for a while to be honest as had problems with battery for a while.

6 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

That's awesome! and good figures - I cannot recommend Vince's maps enough, he does a great job. What's next then for you?

Can I say it's finished now?!? :)

Left on the list is a rebuild for the brakes and change the fluid, recharge the aircon and sort out a tiny bit of belt slip at around 6.5k. Vince says the boost curve stays even right at the end of the power run, and it should keep rising. We couldn't tighten the belt up any more because of the nut on the tensioner catching the bottom of the charger. I need a belt that's about 10mm shorter, or a different alternator pulley, or maybe a fatter idler pulley just so I don't have to go so far in with the tensioner bolt! 

Finding its gonna be fun!

The powers delivery is so smoothe though, he's made it feel like a brand new car!

Can I say it's finished now?!?

Left on the list is a rebuild for the brakes and change the fluid, recharge the aircon and sort out a tiny bit of belt slip at around 6.5k. Vince says the boost curve stays even right at the end of the power run, and it should keep rising. We couldn't tighten the belt up any more because of the nut on the tensioner catching the bottom of the charger. I need a belt that's about 10mm shorter, or a different alternator pulley, or maybe a fatter idler pulley just so I don't have to go so far in with the tensioner bolt! 

Finding its gonna be fun!

The powers delivery is so smoothe though, he's made it feel like a brand new car!

It's never finished lol. What size belt do you have on currently? I ended up getting a 1490 7rib belt and fits perfectly with no belt slip.

I got it from simply bearings, you mention AC so you will need double sided belt which will be more of an issue but yeah easy option is go for bigger idler pulley.

Can't beat the uni royals. Had all 4 corners on the old passat with those. It gripped in the wet!.

Well. I went to the hospital today and noticed the exhaust sounded tinny. On the way back, it sounded louder, almost the same as when my exhaust on the mk3 came off the decat pipe.

It's the downpipe. Fortunately that happens to be one of the least accessible parts of the car. EBay here I come.

I'm unsure on the location. It's sounded crap for a while now.

Been about two months with my dashboard centre and the items there getting very warm. That along with the heat I can feel after a drive from the engine bay is now explained. Might be the cause of a knock I hear that isn't suspension related but occurs when I move back or forward.

Glad I've caught it before it caused any damage. Just wierd how it's shown up today for the first time in the noise form.

Been driving the Corrado about now and driving it hard - MOT next week as I've mentioned but will also be taking the car on Holiday to sunny cornwall so making sure things are looking good.

So far so good. When im back need to look into meth injection to help keep intake temps down.

• 2 weeks later...

Been having a look around for guides to put the Galaxy into a service position and wondering why the hell VW decided to do away with the two piece inlet manifold from the 12v and put a single piece manifold on the 24v.

It means that the rocker cover gasket, specifically on the 2nd gen MPVs, needs the inlet off and the front end pretty much removing for replacement. 

We all know there would have been thought put into the AAA and removing the upper part of the manifold meant that it was an easier job to replace the rocker gasket.

Instead, 24v owners need to remove the entire thing and that also means removing the auxiliary tensioner, belt and dropping the alternator to access the one pesky bolt that sits in/behind the alternator/auxiliary bracket.

Great stuff. 30 minute job will now be a 3 or 4 hour job. 

Still, at least I can replace the thermostat, oil cooler gaskets, clean the throttle body and replace the coolant. 

She desperately needs a new dmf, clutch and the gearbox has a nasty whine so may need a rebuild.

May aswell take the engine out and replace everything in one go.

At least that means she'll fail on rust come MOT time I'm August but run very well ;)