What did you do to your VR6 today?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bolted a Rotrex supercharger to it! It's a long story which involves me getting very annoyed with the VF charger leaking oil after waiting 2 months for a belt, fellow member D11PS being a good salesm

Been a bit quiet lately, so thought I'd change that and then this happened!

Because US spec front bumper! Thanks to Bennyk and star street garage for the superfluous job of painting my shtuff, can't wait to display the tailgate to all, it's a work of art!!!!

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured out why my exhaust is caked in soot. What do people/me with custom exhausts and these engines do?.

6k in 1st gear to 30mph is visited regularly when hot. Then the oil level check on Thursday confirmed it. Max oil level before exhaust fitted. Half engine oil level now, 2 months later.

I hate how addictive that noise is.

Finally figured out why my exhaust is caked in soot. What do people/me with custom exhausts and these engines do?.

6k in 1st gear to 30mph is visited regularly when hot. Then the oil level check on Thursday confirmed it. Max oil level before exhaust fitted. Half engine oil level now, 2 months later.

I hate how addictive that noise is.

Bad valve seals. Bad rings. Or maybe it has to do with pcv. Mines getting a catch can soon

Had a pre MOT check done of the Galaxy today.

Needs 

2 x ball joints

1 x CV boot

2 x Tyres.... advisory  

2 month old Power flow exhaust needs all joins re welding because they're all blowing and it sounds crud.

1 x Drivers outside door handle

Both sills re welding £260

Once the stroke rectified itself, I did a quick search.

2 x ball joints ............ £10 each.

1 x CV boot ............... £10

2 x Tyres  .... advisory

2 month old Power flow exhaust needs all joins re welding because they're all blowing and it sounds crud...... Into their shop on Monday for warranty covered repairs.... want it doing properly, the welding is splodged about and not professional at all. I'm waiting for them to do nothing correctly and just over splodge and fill everywhere with messy welding materiel.

1 x Drivers outside door handle ...... £10 - 30 

Both sills re welding £260... now £50

Silver lining to a dark cloud 

Drove it after being without for 18 months! Rampant! Forgotten how bloody quick it is and only ran the 280 map, honestly scared to go all out to map 3 (330) and don't know how it will be after the syncro to haldex conversion and more boost! Aiming for 450.

i will need to buy more underwear!

s

Also not sure of this selfie thing!

IMG_1721.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, took the lady for a well deserved bath at the local Eastern European car wash, scrubs up well! Also fitted re-trimmed headliner, mk3.5 visors and trimmed moon roof shade. Found out when removing rear trim that a previous owner had the rear passenger quarter glass changed and managed to glue the window to car and the entire length of the rear trim and most of the b and c pillar trim!

just need black sunroof controls now, missed the set last week on EBay ?

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1087.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

For the past year or so, I've been sporting a RAMAIR cone filter. 

Today I put the Airbox with a fresh filter back in, in the eurocarparts car park.  :D

I know there's supposedly no difference, surprisingly however, after a few stall starts and then normal running, the bus did something I've missed or not noticed since doing the cone filter; she started pulling hard and the engine note changed at about 4k revs up.

It's very cool to have that tug the engine gives you with a stock filter. 

The powerflow note has changed slightly too. Instead of the high loud trombone rasp she made, she sounds ever so slightly less like the above and more controlled. 

• 2 weeks later...

I took delivery of my third VR6 last weekend. I bought it blind off e-bay so rather than driving it home I had it shipped on a flatbed. A quick evaluation and I think it needs some steering bushes, wheel bearing on the rear and a new water pump. It'll need new sills at some point. The previous owner crudely screwed some GTi sill protectors to hide the rust. According to the paperwork it's done 2500 miles in six years, so it's a re-commisioning job.

I bought it as a stop-gap while my other VR has the bodywork sorted so I don't want to spend loads on it. I want to get it running reliably and to get it through it's MOT next year. The plan then is to sell it unless it proved to be a good car, in which case I'll spend a bit more on it and stick it away for a few years.

The seller had the car cleaned before I collected it and the interior is coated with silicon spray. It's horrible. Everything is slippery and leaves a coating on your hands. My arse is sliding around on the seat and my hands slipping on the steering wheel. The exterior looks like it's had a coat of WD40 on it!

I've had to book a professional to come a do a full valet before I can use it.

It's cool to see two identical black highlines on the drive :)

• 3 months later...

I've done a few more bits on the newer (to me) Vr6. First of all It's not a genuine Highline as I'd thought. So far it's had..

Oil change and filter

New spark plugs

magnecor ht leads

new coil.

Dab radio fitted

New seat covers

steering wheel cover

New front grille with badges

Next week it's booked in for...

New water pump and hoses

Rear wheel bearings

Steering bushes

Secure a wobbly exhaust.

I'll probably change the wheels back to 15'' BBS I have on the Highline. It's on TT Comps at the moment.

Main job after this lot is the sills. The previous owner added plastic sill covers off a Gti to disguise the rust. I need to remove them and get it patched.

I reckoned when I bought it I'd have to spend 500 quid on it and it seems I'm about right. The MOT is due in May so I thought it wise to get the work  done before I sell it on.

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/02/2018 at 12:02 PM, noggin said:

I've done a few more bits on the newer (to me) Vr6. First of all It's not a genuine Highline as I'd thought. So far it's had..

Oil change and filter

New spark plugs

magnecor ht leads

new coil.

Dab radio fitted

New seat covers

steering wheel cover

New front grille with badges

Next week it's booked in for...

New water pump and hoses

Rear wheel bearings

Steering bushes

Secure a wobbly exhaust.

I'll probably change the wheels back to 15'' BBS I have on the Highline. It's on TT Comps at the moment.

Main job after this lot is the sills. The previous owner added plastic sill covers off a Gti to disguise the rust. I need to remove them and get it patched.

I reckoned when I bought it I'd have to spend 500 quid on it and it seems I'm about right. The MOT is due in May so I thought it wise to get the work  done before I sell it on.

I had the car in the garage last week and it had the bushes and bearings done. It seems the water pump was OK but it needed a new radiator.  The mechanic came to my house midway thru the work (he's only 100yds up the road) and informed me the front brakes were totally f*cked. I've had new discs and pads fitted, Total bill came to £645, a bit more than I reckoned.

The car has been driving well now that it stops and turns!! However another problem has arisen. When I do a short run of a few miles the car is OK. If I go that bit further -like a drive of 20 miles, it boils it's water and pisses it out. It only seems to empty the expansion tank. I took it back to the garage and it seems it needs a new thermostat and housing. I believe this is a common fault with a  VR6 as there's loads of 'how to' videos online. We checked it wasn't the head gasket.

So now it's booked in for thermostat and housing but they can't fit me in until after Easter and it will be about £250 to get it done. When that's done I reckon I've sent about a grand so far!!

It still needs a window relay as the drivers window has a mind of it's own!

I haven't had the guts to remove the sill covers and see the nightmare beneath. That's going to be healthy bunch of change to get them fixed.

Oh well, it's only money... and money is just numbers on bits of paper :)