What did you do to your VR6 today?

23 hours ago, The Monk said:

Found the sump plug has been leaking into the under tray, I'm guessing since I changed her oil the other month.

Tried to tighten it up and found that the plug kept turning with little resistance. I'm guessing that's a new sump and another oil change. Rather fortunate that I've found lots of them on ebay.

12v at £40

24v at £50

My AYL £150 second hand...... how the hell does that work???!!!!

Buy a drain pan off eBay. I paid a tenner for mine ??

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bolted a Rotrex supercharger to it! It's a long story which involves me getting very annoyed with the VF charger leaking oil after waiting 2 months for a belt, fellow member D11PS being a good salesm

Been a bit quiet lately, so thought I'd change that and then this happened!

Because US spec front bumper! Thanks to Bennyk and star street garage for the superfluous job of painting my shtuff, can't wait to display the tailgate to all, it's a work of art!!!!

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Vag-hag said:

My idle is playing silly burgers now too...... Isv cleaning time :)

13 minutes ago, VR6 Supercharged said:

Did think of cleaning mine, but if it does'nt fix said problem I won't know whether valve is at fault or not? :blink: Hence fitting a new one, and then hopefully job done. If not then i'll move to the next bit... :wacko:

Convert to OBD2 and do away with those pesky things! The difference between an OBD1 and OBD2 is totally worth it!

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:07 PM, Vag-hag said:

My idle is playing silly burgers now too...... Isv cleaning time :)

Well here's a small update for anyone that's interested. Fitted new idle speed control valve and connected the recirculation/blow off valve up on Thursday, started car and all seemed ok as ran car for 10 mins with no problems?

Anyhoo, went to car today to take out for test drive, and yes revs where up and down again as before :angry: on extreme closer inspection it would appear there's a small but noticeable crack in the throttle body, so its time for throttle to come off for a closer look..... 

On 8/8/2016 at 9:03 AM, VR6Pete said:

Buy a drain pan off eBay. I paid a tenner for mine ??

Changing the oil again, even after a few thousand miles doesn't bother me.

It's the fact that most cars I've bought tend to be expensive to rectify. More so the fact that the sump off the AYL in the carriers is so much more expensive than any other engine of the same pedigree, that, or I've done a crap job of locating sellers. Probably the latter. 

I've also started to have more of an issue with hot starting now. Turning off and on is starting to drop the success rate of removing the lumpy idle immediately after.

• 2 weeks later...
Got my bbs avantgardes back after having them done in a grey base coat, diamond cut then finished in satin laquer, not to impressed with the finish though, unfortunately the place I had them done promised the earth but couldn't deliver ? IMG_1472933021.863912.jpg

Look goood from a distance. What's wrong with the finish mate?

Look goood from a distance. What's wrong with the finish mate?

They've got a circle Mark around the middle under the clear coat, there's a load of shit in the clear and the edges of the painted bits are a bit flakey, basically a bit of everything, if only I could diamond cut them myself! I think the sayings if you want something doing properly do it yourself!
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Went to move the car last weekend and had flat battery.

pulled the bonnet release handle and nothing happened was preparing for the worst this weekend but luckily was able release without taking a grinder to it by pushing down and pulling up the bonnet when handle was pulled. 

I just gave the mechanisms a good spray of wd40 and greased up and normal service has resumed. 

Battery charged up and looking forward to drive to work tomorrow. 

IMG_3455.JPG

Drove it this morning, felt really good to drive :)

Slight belt slip to begin with due to a lot of condensation build up everywhere from cold weather this morning - may get some anti-belt slip as don't really want to tighen up anymore as boosts perfectly after about 20 mins of driving.

1 hour ago, VR6Pete said:

Drove it this morning, felt really good to drive :)

Slight belt slip to begin with due to a lot of condensation build up everywhere from cold weather this morning - may get some anti-belt slip as don't really want to tighen up anymore as boosts perfectly after about 20 mins of driving.

Not done anything with my VR today or for weeks now as its still at the tuning firm have the map tweaked an then some Vibratechnic engine mounts fitted. Went out in the wifes yesterday though for a couple of hours which was fun...:D

Pulled coil packs on 3 and 4 yesterday. Sucked over 20 ml of oil from each slot. Desperately need to replace the rocker gaskets but I really can't be bothered to remove the front end, tensioner and alternator to do such a simple change. Stupid design flaw with the 24v, made even more annoying with the MPV 24v engine components costing almost twice as much as the SAME engine (cams excluded), as the gaskets for the Golf 24v versions.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Mk3highline said:

Got a new ecu on its way,

as old one was tried on another vr6 and wasn't able to start it either 

Well again still not done a thing with my VR as its still not back... :o

That said though I did spend 10 min's in my local van breakers yesterday with a lump hammer and uber sharp wood chisel cutting out the wing vent from a Merc Sprinter ready to graft into the front wing of my VR :D when it finally comes back.

Got  a strange look from the owner mind when I said "Have you got any knackered wings in (for said van) not bothered if rotten, dented etc so long as the vent's a good un?)
Him said "What years your van"? I said "Its a MK3 Golf" the look on his face was priceless as he didn't know what to say... :ph34r: