Alright fellas popped out tonight with the Mrs for a meal and that. (Trying to persuade her to let me have new cams). Tried to start the car when she was left in gear. So she jumped forward then off with the ignition and tried again. Nothing all lights on but not even trying to start. She started with a bump start but nothing on the key. There is a strange noise coming from the cylinder behind the dizzy like thing. Excuse the ignorance boys.

I took the aux water pump out and stripped it all down. There w\s plenty of metal flakes and other foreign bodys in there. Cleaned the motor out cleared it of filings and dust. Sprayed all with WD then reconstructed. Fitted it to the motor was running fine. Then refitted all pipework and tried to start still nothing but now the aux pump wont knock off its running constantly. Like you said I get a single click under the hood. I turn the key nothing then about 5 secs later it clicks?????

Any input much appreciated would vagcom be worth while or not?

The throttle body buzzes when it is reseting itself after you remove the battery. When I have had starting problems it was a shot battery (got a new Bosch one from GSF), and the other time it was a corroded earth strap on the starter motor - ended up replacing starter motor.