Fitting Walbro fuel pump in tank

I got my Walbro from stealth which included their adapter...

They said to give them a call when I go to fit it but they're closed now..

Logic says you fit the rubber sleeve to the pump and then slide this into the adapter and position in the swirl pot, is this the correct way? Can't really get the filter on without some difficulty this way thoguh..

Cheers

Cheers, don't fancy pulling the old pump apart but if I must, I'll do it!

Anyone know what order the bits go as such? Got the old siwrl pot apart now and can fit the pump in but it just doesn't seem right. The metal sleeve is at the bottom but it feels like it should slide down deeper but it doesn't.. grr

I've now fitted it after some advice from Stealth..

Bit of a bodge but it works.. Went and got 12 litres of petrol and topped the car up and the pump works a treat.

Just need to work out why I have no power to the injectors now!

I took pics along the way so I'll get a little DIY up at some point!

I've now fitted it after some advice from Stealth..

Bit of a bodge but it works.. Went and got 12 litres of petrol and topped the car up and the pump works a treat.

Just need to work out why I have no power to the injectors now!

I took pics along the way so I'll get a little DIY up at some point!

The DIY would be great as I might have to go this route soon

Right, I got this done and took some pics so hopefully this'll help some people out and get me through my morning at work..

The kit as purchased from Stealth

DSC09902.jpg

Took the pump assembly apart before I took pics so no pics of that but it's straight forward enough

Bits spread out

DSC09935.jpg

You have to 'modify' a rubber cap so it becomes a sleeve, this is to make up for the smaller girth of the pump

DSC09936.jpg

You then have to remove a sleeve from the recirc fuel filter, this is what is basically going to be supporting the fuel pump

DSC09937.jpg

Here I put some cable ties on just to make sure it doesn't slip out

DSC09941.jpg

Fitted into the recirc filter thing.

DSC09942.jpg

Where the unit is going back too, i fitted an o ring to get a nice tight fit

DSC09940.jpg

DSC09938.jpg

Height of the pump in the swirl pot

DSC09943.jpg

DSC09945.jpg

I forgot to take pics of this stage but with the metal sleeve you get from stealth, this sits ontop of the pump itself so it's at it's tallest point. This sleeve just keeps the top of the pump in position.

It's a good idea to fit the fuel pipe to the outlet now as you won't be able to tighten the clip once you fit the swirl pot lid on.

I was going to use a spare bit of braided line I have since i've used this to replace the lines throughout the car but it makes things a bit awkward when trying to refit the pump so I stuck with the factory rubber. The one you get in the kit is too small so don't even bother with that..

DSC09947.jpg

Once youve got the pump in the swirl pot with the metal sleeve ontop and hose fitted, you can fit the lid!

Here I used a normal jubilee as I couldn't get my proper fuel hose clip on due to space restrictions. I used a fuel hose cap as this spreads the pressure of the jubilee, jubilee's tend to not keep a tight even pressure all round from what i've heard so a leak could occur..(i doubt it though)

Bang it on and then fit the brass/copper retaining clip. it just pushes in and stops the pump from bouncing up

DSC09946.jpg

You may just be able to see it

Now you'll have to wire it, I decided to cut the spade plugs off the oem wiring and solder them to the walbro, then heat shrink!

DSC09948.jpg

All done and ready to fit!!

DSC09950.jpg

DSC09952.jpg

no no, want to get it running first, check it's all good then I'm fitting a turbo. Having enough headaches without the extra of having fitted a turbo so glad I haven't done it yet! lol

Did plan to R32 it in the coming winter but cba with the hassle on this car. Just going to get it running, show it, turbo it when it's running good and then be done with it :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just made the mistake of thinking the black wire was Earth lol

I was thinking of getting a uprated pump but I've been told by a few that you need to keep at least 1/4 tank fuel others wise there is a chance of the pump running dry???

Just spoke to glenco and they will have a direct replacement available in a couple of months

Also found this

http://fuelperformance.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1751

I was thinking of getting a uprated pump but I've been told by a few that you need to keep at least 1/4 tank fuel others wise there is a chance of the pump running dry???

Just spoke to glenco and they will have a direct replacement available in a couple of months

Also found this

That's correct mate. Have to keep 1/4 tank so prevent surge and running lean.

Never heard of that brand to be honest. Unsure on reliability though! Will ask around see what feedback is like, although too late as I have ordered a Walbro now.

Also found this

That looks good.. be good to hear some positive reviews about it as above not heard of it prior..