Morning team,

My 1997 more or less standard Golf VR6 has the same problem 6 months ago. This OEM caliper is less than a year old and is sticking. It happened in exactly the same way as last time.

First of all the handbrake seems to develop a bit of play in it - the lever becomes loose for an inch or so before it actually tightens up and applies properly. Even when it applies it feels spongy. The brakes still work fine at this point - no imbalance perceptable at all.

Then I have to apply the handbrake hard on a hill and pull it on properly. And that's it. Rear caliper locked.

Do you think I'm just unlucky with my calipers or could there be a problem with the handbrake?

I know Mk4 calipers are more reliable, etc, bt I can't justify replacing everything on the back if this is avoidable.

The calipepr should last more than a year right?

My original lasted more than 10 years. But that's 8 years before I (& car) moved to Sweden. Here the winter is colder and I do a fair bit of handbrake turning on the snowy roads. Is that a problem?

I feel like I should avoid using the handbrake if at all possible from now on...

Any advice would be appreciated.

James

My rear brakes stick if I leave the car with the handbrake on overnight in cold weather. Apparently water gets in to the handbrake cable / rear caliper joint and freezes which makes the caliper stick on. That may be the issue you have raher than the actual caliper. IF it is you need to replace the handbrake cable. I just dont put handbrake on when its very cold - but seeing as you're in sweden that may be a problem!

Cheers for getting back Shail.

Well it made it through winter (down to -15 now and again) but it started locking up when spring started. Maybe it is similar though. When the water's frozen it can't leak in but then it leaks in when the warmer weather comes. Maybe takes some dirt with it. Come to think of it, the underside of my car must be covered in $hit.

I spoke to my mechanic. He reckons he can un lock it and if I don't use the handbrake it'll be fine. Until the mot. At which point is it feasible to only connect one rear brake to the handbrake? Anyone know if that would pass an mot? (I know you don't know about Sweden, but what about the uk?)

Hi, I just replaced one of my rear calipers as the caliper was sticking and was noted on my last MOT. In the UK they check rear foot brake and handbrake performance each side and compare side to side aswell. Mine sailed through the MOT on Friday.

Well done on the mot. Well I took mine for a spin late last night and the caliper had loosened itself off. It was a bit frosty in the night though so maybe this freeze/thaw thing has something to do with it. I will not be using the handbrake for a few months though. 39mpg on my way to work this morning, so I think it's fairly safe to say that nothing is binding.

I put a road atlas over the handbrake lever :-)