My VR6 turbo, Haldex 4wd. The end....

Hoping to have it ready for the new year(its a more realistic time than i first thought!!). And i've given up, and got back on with it loads of times mate! Just think of what its gunna be like when its done, and that usually enough encouragement!!!

Manifold will be doing this month hopefully, 3" all the way for the exhaust, all custom made by me.

Update on the evenings progress.

This relates back to what i was saying to john555 about the hubs.

vr6tproject081.jpg

The hub on the left is vr6, and R32 on the right. You can see a 3mm difference in length.

vr6tproject083.jpg

vr6tproject084.jpg

vr6tproject082.jpg

But not o/a height, in the picture above. So i made a 3mm spacer to sit between the hub and bearing.

vr6tproject087.jpg

So then i assembled the front hub assemblys with ANOTHER new set of bearings! And pressed in the hub. You can see that the spacer brings the hub out to the right level so the driveshaft 'clamps' the hub/bearing.

vr6tproject089.jpg

I then made the 6mm spacer plates to space the calipers, and assembled the lot!

vr6tproject091.jpg

vr6tproject092.jpg

vr6tproject094.jpg

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where's this been hiding... Very impressive gents...

Great skilss there. Keep going. Now I've found it I will be following... I love watching these build threads...

you guys will have to have a mini meet when you're both finished.. :D

ah i was forgetting your running a turbo that im running a charger so gona end upe spending a fortune on getting a 6 branch made up, that hub things much clearer now thanks ill make some spacers up the same this week at work.

are you doing the adjustable camber and toe conversion on your back axel? just iv made the plates but im not even sure if its worth it

Getting the 6 branch might not be too much trouble, i've got to get a 3" pipe between my bulkhead and prop! I think i'm going to have to modify the bulkhead/tunnel to make it fit.

As for the adjustment on the rear, i'm still a bit unsure. If it causes problems when driving then i'l do it then. I'm going to see what happens mate :)

so you've pushed the R32 hub into the VR6 hub knuckle? with VR6 bearings?

and the brakes are R32 discs and calipers with a 6mm spacers and then they bolt on?

would the outer VR CV joints of pushed onto the R32 drive shafts so you could keep with vr hubs?

good thread your covering prity much everything

so you've pushed the R32 hub into the VR6 hub knuckle? with VR6 bearings?

and the brakes are R32 discs and calipers with a 6mm spacers and then they bolt on?

would the outer VR CV joints of pushed onto the R32 drive shafts so you could keep with vr hubs?

good thread your covering prity much everything

Yes to r32 hub into vr bearing and carrier, yes to r32 brakes with 6mm spacer.

No to the driveshafts, the inner spline on the cv's is larger on r32's, along with the driveshaft. If you wanted to run r32/4motion inner cv's(110mm cv) and vr outer cv's for vr hubs, you would have to have a custom shaft made with a larger spline 1 end, and the smaller vr spline the other end of the shaft. I'l try posting some pics of the difference up tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually found some time this evening to finish my inlet manifold!

Modified the fuel rail

vr6tproject005-1.jpg

vr6tproject109.jpg

Then drilled an tapped all the holes for the air lines and manifold air temp sender

vr6tproject106.jpg

vr6tproject105.jpg

vr6tproject104.jpg

vr6tproject103.jpg

vr6tproject107.jpg

vr6tproject108.jpg

All assembled and ready to go on! :)

Cheers for the support, and the good words! Its the biggest project i've ever undertaken, the longest, and the most expensive! But its given me the most grief!! So if this thread helps a few people out to go diy, then why not? Having a bash your self at stuff like this is good brain fuel! ;)

Anyways, a little update from sunday.

Made a start on making my exhaust manifold, using the original vw headers.

First i cut the old flanges off of the original downpipe, and machined them out to fit the 2" o.d stianless u-bends i bought.

vr6tproject126.jpg

vr6tproject123.jpg

vr6tproject118.jpg

vr6tproject117.jpg

vr6tproject119.jpg

vr6tproject120.jpg

I set my spare head up on a block, and started to cut, tack, cut back off, re-tack, etc pipes til i was happy!

vr6tproject121.jpg

vr6tproject122.jpg

vr6tproject110.jpg

vr6tproject114.jpg

vr6tproject115.jpg

vr6tproject116.jpg

Its not finished but its a start. Got to cut the pipes down a little, and mount he turbo flange once its been machined to a T4 divided.

To be continued....

• 2 weeks later...

looking good dude.. this is how i wanna make my exhaust manni but with a mig and with the turbo lower so i can use the standard inlet manni.

what tig welder are you using? can you recommend anything on a budget for around the £300 mark?

nice work...

If I may just add a little food for thought as you're doing it yourself... not teaching you to suck eggs here.....

If you can keep any individual bend below 30 degrees then the flow will improve quite a great deal. Also minimise welds as they form internally as well so unless you can get in to grind them off as you go... Though there is an argument that it helps the pulse waveforms flow.

Also if you match the lengths on both then apart from stabilisg pressure it should help equalise the flow into the cylinders that always get slightly restricted flow on standard systems... Thus getting a better burn on your mixture and thus reducing heat build up on spent fuel mixture..

As I said just for your gray matter ;)

keep going I always like watching these when people have more skill than I....

Cheers

nice work...

If I may just add a little food for thought as you're doing it yourself... not teaching you to suck eggs here.....

If you can keep any individual bend below 30 degrees then the flow will improve quite a great deal. Also minimise welds as they form internally as well so unless you can get in to grind them off as you go... Though there is an argument that it helps the pulse waveforms flow.

Also if you match the lengths on both then apart from stabilisg pressure it should help equalise the flow into the cylinders that always get slightly restricted flow on standard systems... Thus getting a better burn on your mixture and thus reducing heat build up on spent fuel mixture..

I was trying to keep the lengths the same but i also wanted to fit the air filter i've got onto the end of my turbo, so i tryed to 'kick' the turbo to the right of the engine. Since you've said this, it has got me thinking cause were my turbo would be is were the coolant line is coming out of the head!!!! :@ So back to square 1...

nice skillz there mate

...keep up the good work ...i hope you dontget tempted to rush as the work so far is really good!

I wish' date='i can't find the time atm to rush!! Or the money :-(

But i've found a couple of hours this week in the evening to start my rear brace, (as mentioned earlier in this thread) which will support the rear cross member that supports the rear subframe, and also to act as a rear strut brace for the rear suspension

from this

[img']http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt270/legvw/1025.jpg

to this

vr6tproject131.jpg

vr6tproject132.jpg

vr6tproject134.jpg

Should be able to get it finished and painted tomorrow