Turbo or Supercharger?

yep....it adds up in the end.......turbo units are cheaper than supercharger units.........

like they said above does not matter really which one......

Sorry I have to disagree there bud. Charger is cheaper than Turbo due to the engine mods and time needed on a turbo.... (l)

I think it totally depends on what level you take it to and what turbo you buy and how much you can do your self. Im hoping to to go turbo to the same level as a stage 1 charger very cheep indeed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is Boost is addictive ' date=' you always want more :)

[/quote']

haha yeah but once i go stage one then there's no turning back. my excuse anyway :-d 6psi should be good fun for a year..... or a few weeks lol

My problem is i have no self control... it will probably be a fuck it try 8 then 10 until it goes pop :S

what do you recons more important to do next... lower compression ratio or intercooler ?

Theres a nutter mentalist dude that ran 17psi on a stock engine for some time.. then turned it up even more before it went pop... what a legend :-d

No its all getting done at same time by Dlea.....wouldnt trust Tony as he breaks things regularly...lol only kidding mate

cheeky git lol ... just re done my head gasket now running about 9:1 ish boost is a bit more agressive and got up to 10 psi so all good ...

Putting the power gain issues to the side' date=' with regards to maintenance and cost - which is easier? which is cheaper? I dont want to spend thousands, but I dont want a really cheap one either. I also dont want something that's gonna cause my car to be an endless money pit aswell!

[/quote']

As with any car, as soon as you alter the engine away from the original factory spec, reliability will always be an issue.

It's just a matter of how much compromised reliability and additional maintenance you are prepared to accept ;-)

I don't know of anybody with a VR6 Turbo that's not had at least one problem. People that say they don't have problems are lying! :-)

I know of far fewer S/C VR6 issues, but then it's a much more basic install. The only pain in the arse bit is the whole MAF sensor thing.

I've driven my VRT daily for over 2 years with an assortment of issues, mostly minor, and it just kept going and going. That's generally how the older VWs are though, they soldier on regardless! Newer VWs faint and keel over at the slightest sniff of a problem.

If I went S/C again, it would definitely be Rotrex. The Vortechs were originally made for Supercharging Boat and truck engines and I personally don't feel it's particularly happy stuck to the side of a VR6 engine. Loads of V9s have failed and had to go back for replacement bearings and seals.

The Rotrex was designed first and foremost to be a car engine Supercharger, which you can immediately see in it's packaging. It's half the size and weight of the V9 and is basically just a turbo compressor with a clever gearbox attached to it instead of an exhaust turbine.

Anyway, neither method of forced induction is cheap and maintenance free, but turbos are a lot more maintenance and a lot more expensive, if done properly.

Even the best installs have problems, so it's all about minimising them.

With turbos, it's not a question of IF something will break, but WHEN something will break!