Turbo or Supercharger?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate this forum sometimes ( in a good way of course). Just when I have finally got my head around what I was going to do' date=' which was going the Rotrex route, I read a post like this and am now erring towards a turbo again. I was literally going to order it end of this week now I will have to ponder some more. Suppose these discussions will help me in the long run pick the FI route that suites me best :)

[/quote']

you ain't the only one dude. Iv changed my mind about a 10 times atleast!

i like the whine!!!

me too :)

+1 from me too

i bought kevs v9 and have loved every minute of it its shreded 1 belt which was my fault for puttin too much tension on it belt slip is the only real issue iv hasd and thats due to the vortech and 12 psi pulley

superchargers and turbos are completely different animals

turbos generally give savage mid range torque and often more peak hp too (more boost)

supers generally give a much more progressive torque curve aiding traction

tbh it comes down to your preference centrifugals can give very good results rotrex are the best for the vr6

as kev said everybodies setup is slightly different mines running 12 psi on stock compression with no intercooler and iv had absolutely no engine problems whatsoever and i can catagorically state as a no bullshit FACT my overall mpg has increased with the vortech compared to n/a

iv manedged 13.6 1/4 mile and can consistently do high 13s with only 320 hp and 275 lb ft theres a few guys here with turbo setups running alot of power (no doubt their cars are way faster than mine) BUT my times mix it quite well with spme of them so it really isnt all that cut and dried

iv been in a few turboed motors (not a vr though) and i just prefer centrifugals im going to be going for the rotrex for the r32 it literally is down to personal taste :)

I hate this forum sometimes ( in a good way of course). Just when I have finally got my head around what I was going to do' date=' which was going the Rotrex route, I read a post like this and am now erring towards a turbo again. [/quote']

Ha ha! :-) Annoying isn't it!

It's a good thread though, gets the old debating juices going :-)

Well tbh mate, I would say nearly everyone on here is capable of doing what I've done in the DIY Turbo thread, so it's certainly an option for you.

I have been out in a Rotrex and whilst I prefer it to the Vortech, it still doesn't put the torque where I want it. But that's just my own preference. I do really like the simplicity of it, it's self contained and it's practically silent. That Vortech whining did my head in after a while, so the Rotrex is a refreshing change from that, plus they don't shred belts. They use the stock tensioner!

It does literally just boil down to power delivery preferences. I've always preferred the drama of turbos. The whistles, whooshes, pops and bangs and brutish torque are good fun. Centrifugal chargers are a bit too linear and progressive for my liking. I like the boost to ramp up a hell of a lot faster :-)

this will never come to a conclusion ha ha ha...well it took me 6 months to make my mind up before i went the charger route and after this morning run to the airport i cannot complain......she ran amazing......oil cooler sat about 65 when i was running about 80mph and the charger must love the cool mist sucking in!!!!

so tempted to try faster but with no visability would of been a short ride ha ha

and i am biased....8v all the way!!lol

for me it was a relatively easy choice - a charger set up is pretty much bolt on remap and go so you can get the car up and running well and quickly and if you change your mind it's easy enough to return the car to standard and sell the charger on for very little loss. So for me it was a good starting point and introduction to forced induction - learning along the way and seeing what the extra power does to the car, driving, traction and stress etc.

Now I have had it up and running for a while I love it -the noise, the theatre, the look on people's faces when you take them out for a spin is great - and I am not even running huge power !! However if / when I decide for a change I would probably go turbo now that I have some more experience and knowledge with these engines.

Beforehand I read Jim's thread and Kev's thread and thought wow if only !! but it is starting to make sense and while I don't think I will ever have the knowledge they do I certainly know a lot more now than I did :)

It's a good thread though' date=' gets the old debating juices going :-)

Well tbh mate, I would say nearly everyone on here is capable of doing what I've done in the DIY Turbo thread, so it's certainly an option for you.

[/quote']

it certainly does :) and I think you underestimate your own ability mate !!

Thanks mate :-)

I know forum guides tend to paint only half the picture of what's involved, which is why I've tried to be as informative as possible. If you're good with tools, have the time and space, then I seriously believe anyone can do it.

I don't have a daily driver, so it's a pain for me having to scab lifts off people all the time and I can't weld either, so it's taking a while to do.

The first time you feel and hear your own VRT come on boost makes all the expense and hassle worth it though, it truly does :-)

Thanks for all the info. Great help :)

Seeing as Im a VR6 noob at the moment, I think Im going to wait until the end of the year - gives me plenty of time to experience some VRT's and VRSC's for myself so i can come to a decision.

Putting the power gain issues to the side, with regards to maintenance and cost - which is easier? which is cheaper? I dont want to spend thousands, but I dont want a really cheap one either. I also dont want something that's gonna cause my car to be an endless money pit aswell!

Thanks for all the info. Great help :)

Seeing as Im a VR6 noob at the moment' date=' I think Im going to wait until the end of the year - gives me plenty of time to experience some VRT's and VRSC's for myself so i can come to a decision.

Putting the power gain issues to the side, with regards to maintenance and cost - which is easier? which is cheaper? I dont want to spend thousands, but I dont want a really cheap one either. I also dont want something that's gonna cause my car to be an endless money pit aswell!

[/quote']

Supercharger is usually the cheaper option unless your handy with the tools and a bargain hunter and pull off a Jim Potter project. You can pick up a second hand charger for about £1200 and bolt it on within a day. At the moment there isn't a off the shelf turbo kit which bolts straight on..c2 motorsport are supposedly in their final stages of releasing one but god knows when that will be.

The cost of a turbo setup varies alot (but usually more expensive then a charger)..Jim potter got his turbo running for under 1k..whereas Kev spent £000's. So it just depends on which turbo you go for and what kind of power your after.

Like a few have said.... I see one real difference. How long are you keeping the car/engine?

If you change every year then being able to bolt the system together and get usable performance in a day with no mods to the internals then charger all the way. If you are keeping it and are a fan of the engine then the engine can come with you as you move on to the next car...

From an installation process. If you are using the engine block in your car then charger is an afternoons work. The turbo will be longer. If you are building the engine outside of the car then take your time on the engine internals and swap them over in a long day. Do you need to drive it daily?

Don't forget both need running in and there is a remap at least in there somewhere

Bang for buck I am sure people will agree chargers are the easy way for this.

No mater which you do you your fuel bill goes through the roof until you get used to it. I reckon that takes about 3 years... I get better motorway miles and worse town mile

It doesn't mater what your personal preference is. As long as you do one... :D

Well I plan on keeping the car for at least a few more years yet, it's a 1993 and the engine mileage is on 93k so Ive still got LOTS more life in it.

I do use the VR every single day, BUT I still have my 1.4 which is currently off the road which I was thinking about having as my main car, and having the VR6 for the weekends. That way I can spend more on the VR without having to worry about spending too much on the wear and tear of it.

If I was to supercharge the VR then I would definitley only use it as a 2nd car. The most I travel to work everyday is a 15 mile round trip which is all urban roads with lots of traffic - a VR's worst nightmare :D

When I made this thread, I was scared by the supercharger and was leaning toward a turbo, but I like the idea of just being able to put the supercharger in with less effort than the turbo, being easier to remove aswell.

Putting the power gain issues to the side' date=' with regards to maintenance and cost - which is easier? which is cheaper? I dont want to spend thousands, but I dont want a really cheap one either. I also dont want something that's gonna cause my car to be an endless money pit aswell!

[/quote']

whichever route you go down it will cost you thousands ;) the kit plus a remap plus the other bits and bobs and the extra stress and strain it puts on the car will cause other things to go wrong means neither are a cheap long term option but they are well worth it :) :)

After reading all this its now made me rethink about what to go for. untill i read this thread my mind was setup on going down the stage 2 rotrex route now ive got to start the decision all over agin lol.

Everyone needs to go out in a VRT

Got to agree Kev the noise was irritating

lol funny you say that shaun as everytime i go to jkm and see your car i think wouldnt it be great if he was here and took me for a spin lol. my cars currently there for the next week to have headgasket and radiator replaced so havent drove it in a while.

After reading all this its now made me rethink about what to go for. untill i read this thread my mind was setup on going down the stage 2 rotrex route now ive got to start the decision all over agin lol.

Everyone needs to go out in a VRT

Got to agree Kev the noise was irritating

lol funny you say that shaun as everytime i go to jkm and see your car i think wouldnt it be great if he was here and took me for a spin lol. my cars currently there for the next week to have headgasket and radiator replaced so havent drove it in a while.

I will take you for a spin mate, no problem. Will PM you when im over :)

yep....it adds up in the end.......turbo units are cheaper than supercharger units.........

like they said above does not matter really which one......

Sorry I have to disagree there bud. Charger is cheaper than Turbo due to the engine mods and time needed on a turbo.... (l)