im planning a clean day and need some advice

as the tittle says, next weekend i am going to spend all day cleaning my car because i washed it yesterday and its all blemished and dull even after washing.

I just want some advice and tips really on what i need apart from what i have got below but i dont want to go daft and spend loads of money on products ;)

so the main things i have got are;

zymol car shampoo (new and unused)

megs 3 stage system (paint cleaner, car polish, car wax) never managed to do it all

megs nxt tech wax (the one in the purple funny shaped spray bottle

4 microfibre cloths, 2 wash mits

The car is very dull and got alot and i mean alot of swirl marks

would the above what i have got solve the dullness? whats the best thing for swirl marks without going to the extreme of sanding etc?

and should i use all the above products or not and is there a best way in order of putting them onto the car?

THANKS PEOPLE IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE!! :D ps sorry for the silly thread

Id get some megs clay and clay the car after a decent wash and dry

give it another rinse

use the first 2 items from the megs 3 step

then autoglym super resin polish

then megs 3rd step

then nxt tech wax

your limited as I take it you are doing it by hand, so all you can do really is minimise the swirls and use the SRP to fill other scratches and swirls

get a big bag of stockinette cloth from halfords aswell (£5) use that to apply stuff and usea different microfiber to buff off each step

cheers xyber av just been cleaning for 4 hours, used what i have got as i dnt plan to do it all until next week. Washed with zymol auto wash, rinsed, dried, stages 1 and 2 megs. Looks 10 times better now! Not a blemish in sight! Plan to do engine, wheels, trim and interior tomorrow. Am knackerd from doing what i have done today! Need a buffer deffo

Ive booked 3 days off before the ring to give mine a proper going over' date=' wheels off and seats out!!!!

[/quote']

i had the seats out today not by choice though, ive got no stoppers on the end of the runners. went to slide my seat back and it came off the runners lol!

Am knackerd from doing what i have done today! Need a buffer deffo

I've got that to look forward to this week if the weather holds.

Already done the inside' date=' seats out and all :o

[/quote']

That what i am hoping to do as well,but yes you need a buffer as it will kill your arm,and you will never get as good a finish,without one!

But me wife says its going to rain!!!

Bugger!

[/quote']

guess what.... Its filthy already! :@ cleaned it all saturday, sunday morning i went over it with a microfibre cloth (3pk for 80p at tesco...bargain!) and the cloth was black and filthy! from one flippin day. did the same this morning went over it and blackend another new cloth. Its unreal how dirty it gets in such a very short period of time, makes it seam like a waste of time spending a day cleaning it and it dirty a day later

[/quote']

guess what.... Its filthy already! :@ cleaned it all saturday, sunday morning i went over it with a microfibre cloth (3pk for 80p at tesco...bargain!) and the cloth was black and filthy! from one flippin day. did the same this morning went over it and blackend another new cloth. Its unreal how dirty it gets in such a very short period of time, makes it seam like a waste of time spending a day cleaning it and it dirty a day later

Once it's been detailed then a quick wash will have it looking like new again ;)

When you say you went over it with a microfibre cloth Im presuming you don't mean you wiped the dirt off with a dry cloth?!

[/quote']

Once it's been detailed then a quick wash will have it looking like new again ;)

When you say you went over it with a microfibre cloth Im presuming you don't mean you wiped the dirt off with a dry cloth?!

Yeah with a dry cloth the morning after :s so you think like a rinse and wipe down wil keep it cleaner for longer when it gets dusty which is every day lol?

You now have a good clean hard base so when you wash it, the dirt should come off easily leaving your nice wax shine behind. You could at this point go over it with some quick detailer spray and cloth and this would bring it up even more ;-)

Dont worry it isnt a wasted effort, it will still come up nice and shiny. I personally use the autoglm shampoo to wash the car and it comes up a treat.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

[/quote']

Yeah with a dry cloth the morning after :s so you think like a rinse and wipe down wil keep it cleaner for longer when it gets dusty which is every day lol?

:o:o:o

Mate you might as well rip open a new pack of brillo pads to wash your car with that sort of treatment! 25p microfibres are a waste of money too - most will not be plush enough not to inflict swirling...

Oh, and all this swooning over the Meguiars 3-step stuff? There are much better products out there which offer better value. The first step is a paint cleanser which will remove very minor swirling if done by hand. A much better product would be Dodo Juice Lime Prime. The second step is a filler polish - the equivalent better value product would be Autoglym SRP. The third stage is a liquid wax, which although provides a good finish if the right prep. has been done, lasts about a week! A much better product would be a hard wax like Collinite 476 or 915. All these products are available for not much more than the Meguiars 3-step products and provide a better finish which will last a lot longer. ;)

As has been said wiping a dirty car with a cheap microfibre is just going to add swirls or scratches!

If you're using the car daily at this time of year, it doesnt matter what you clean it with, it will get dirty again quickly... I just wash mine weekly, spray it with final touch detailer then dry it and it keeps the shine up. If you're really bothered by it getting dusty then you can get a showroom duster to remove that (very handy for car shows on grass ;)) but only use that on a dusty not dirty car.

As Roan said there are better products than meguiars (I use P21S paint cleaner & wax) but if you don't want to spend a fortune they will do the job (a 500ml bottle of lime prime costs about the same as the complete 3 stage megs kit)

lol cheers roan, ill bare that in mind when the megs stuff runs out but i am happy with the finish. The microfibre seems to do the job fine and not got 20 quid to spend on one cloth. I am doing it all again either tomorrow or friday ready for santa pod if the whether is nice. Anybody know whats best for dull polished rocker covers and wheels? I have got autosol any tips on best way to apply?

lol cheers roan' date=' ill bare that in mind when the megs stuff runs out but i am happy with the finish. The microfibre seems to do the job fine and not got 20 quid to spend on one cloth. I am doing it all again either tomorrow or friday ready for santa pod if the whether is nice. Anybody know whats best for dull polished rocker covers and wheels?[b'] I have got autosol any tips on best way to apply?

Finest 2 grades of wire wool and a small amount of Autosol will shift most of the oxidisation, then go over with a MF and some more autosol and buff off. You can pick up good MFs @ £10 for 3 from cleanyourcar.com or anywhere else.

kie-dub - sign up on detailing world, very useful and discounts on gear, but you will be embarking on a very slippery slope as I did and so probably did Roan as ive seen him on there, you will spend a fortune, buying new gear and products, just trying to beat how shiney you got your car last time you had a big detail day. Most peeps on detailing world start off buying a wax and a wash mitt, then 3 months on find they have enough gear to start a business in detailing hahaha