Hi all,

I noticed the other day whilst i was fixing a dash light, that my handbrake light (the red one) was staying on slightly when the handbrake was off (i,e. dim light).

However after a day or so the light is now on full when the handbrake is on or off.

I have checked the switch in the handbrake and it seems fine, the light stays on no matter what i do, and it was working fine a day ago.

i checked my brake fluid level and it seems fine, and the brake fluid holder is in good order, nothing poped off etc.

Does anyone know what else could cause the handbrake warning light to come on all the time??

Cheers all.

Yes and its always on, some idiot broke the wires on the front wheel for the sensors, i tried to fix it but it didn't take...on verge of taking bulb out as i know brakes all work fine, car has had recent MOT and been to local set up firm to ahve ignition, tracking etc etc done, he tunes rally cars and is a fine guy, he looks for issues for you etc. Vag com'd the car and only 1 major fault and that was engine management, which we believed was the old coilpack, which we fixed and the fault was gone after he cleared the codes.

so this brake thing i think is a minor niggle.

Its annoying as i had just sorted out all the other little niggles needing done....(and some big ones)

well here's an extra bit to mine.... I am not hijacking the thread......

When I start the car in the morning it is off as I pull away I literally move 10 feet then it is on for the day. I have also checked all the obvious .... so am keen to know this outcome...

tried looking at the fluid level, tis a bit low, but still well within the min\max levels, however the little plastic but that goes from the float to the top\sensor, moves a teeny bit, i can hold it down and nothing changes but if i take out the whole assembly, the light seemed to dim a bit, so will top up level and fiddle a bit more.

if its a short in the look, that could be from when i was pulling the clocks forward to replace the bulbs that light the speedo etc. is there a connection in that that i could have knocked out etc in the dash, as i cant pull it out, only rock it forward.