I have been working on my VR6 for months, pouring money in to it, and still haven't had a good ride out of her. Most recently I gave her a full service, new plugs, oils and filters (Including fuel filter), There was a problem where the power would come and go, I'd end up limping along with no power, then I looked and saw the cat was glowing orange. I replaced the cat and lambda sensor, and it happened again. Has anyone got any ideas what this could be? Or should I just take it to the scrapper.

need a little more info there mate.

Where is the CAT glowing? It is meant to get blummin' hot mate so glowing is normal if you look in to it. You cant usually see it though on cars due to its location. If you are saying the actual exhaust is glowing then you have huge heat flow issues.

May I suggest you pop in to the local recommended guys and ask them for some help. Also worth getting someone local to pop out with you and have a second set of eyes and ears on the case. As they may spot the delibrate mistake :D

Get a VAGCOM on it and check you are not activating limp home modes due to knock sensors etc.. or that the ECU isnt misfueling. Does it run normally again once cold? Do you have any special mods on the car? What sort of temp does the oil hit before you're on limp mode?? what year is your car??? Dzzy or coilpack??? Any water flow issues and are you sure the thermostat is working???

let us know chap... ;)

Thanks for the responses guys, deffinitely encouraging me to try fix 'yet another' issue rather than give up! If i get down on the floor I can see the cat, and the whole thing was glowing orange. The suggestion it is leting fuel through deffinitely makes sense to me. I've had the Vag-Com on it and it thre up mixture errors and a fule filter issue. I've replaced the fuel filter and done a full service which I'd hoped would take away any problems. I think I will take it to my local guy at the garage, he'll look at it for nothing and probably let me know exactly whats wrong!

There are no modifications, just brand new parts replacing broken ones. The actual engine temperature isn't bad, it's just the exhaust. I just hope I haven't burnt a brand new cat and lambda sensor. Do you think they could survive that much heat?

this is caused by fuel entering the hot cat. i know coz it happened to me after showing a super charged jag why we love the vr6 for a 20 mile drag, lol. and it cost in excess of 500 quid. new cat new lambda new plugs new leads ended up just needing a new coil pack coz it was arcing out and not giving a good enough spark to plug 1, hence the power loss u described

Right, I've tested the plugs and you're right, one of em' isn't sparking. God knows how but one of the plugs' ceramic had broken and splintered! replaced that with an old one, getting a new one tomorrow. I've taken the coil pack off and there is crack in the casing next to the center coil. Sourced a new one locally for £116, I'll be buying and fitting that tomorrow!

euro crap parts sell what look like genuine vag items with the part number filed off, i know this coz they only half filed the one off mine, and i could still make out the part number and a partial vw badge in exactly the same place as an original, also try asking for a ford galaxy v6 one or saet alhumbra v6, if you say vr6 golf they go all ''''oooooo performance car..rip him off'''' but people carrier they dont seem to price as high for some reason. i paid 80 quid for mine from euro crap parts about 6 months ago by asking for the galaxy one.if you have done the lambda thats another 50-80 quid plus the cat can be as much as 250 depending where you go. but fit the coil pack and new plugs first. all in mine was cat lambda plugs leads and coil pack, at over 500 notes but it was worth it to see the look on the face of the smug barstard driving the jag when he got terrised by a ropey 15yr old golf lol